header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Big 12 Sports Commentary

(Read 19036 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Big 12 Sports Commentary
« on: February 16, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
I wish to air a few thoughts on the state of baseball and basketball at the University of Texas.

Baseball starts today.  Thank God.  Basketball was depressing me.  The Horns open at home with a three game series against the Ragin Cajuns of La La, whose history and name undermines their recent talent and success.  They cleaned our clock in Houston late last year.  One of the few teams to beat the Horns by more than one run.  Hopefully we can get some payback.

I really like David Pierce.  The coaching search was a mess, but the Horns got a good one.  I loved the changes I saw last year and every time I hear Pierce talk, I like what he says.

Basketball, on the other hand, is just terrible.  Yes, there were heartbreaks beyond Shaka Smart's control.   But I think the University's allure, coupled with one-and-done has destroyed whatever momentum Penders and early Barnes once built.

Look at who puts talent in the NBA: Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina... Texas.  One of those is not like the others.  Yet Texas continues to allure the one-and-dones only to do little or nothing with them.

It's what killed Barnes in his later years.  Hiring a scrapper like Shaka Smart who could make a little go a long ways seemed like to great idea.  Then he came in and started eating the same poison cheese.

Meanwhile, freed from the gravy train of NBA talent, Barnes looks like a good coach once again.

In football you want the best talent.  Maybe you do in basketball too but you need a coach who can capitalize on it when he has it.  Not just squander it.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Big 12 Sports Commentary
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:30:49 AM »
Shaka should be thankful that basketball is not football.  That fact will certainly buy him more time than he deserves in this job.  Our basketball is just frustrating to watch.  I sensed that replacing Barnes wouldn't be quick work, but it's where we are.  I do have some confidence in Del Conte's ability to find us a good hire if/when necessary.

Baseball tonight vs. Louisiana.  Good test.  This is the time of year when LHN pays some small return for blowing up the Big 12.  I'd still rather have the Big 12, but I will enjoy some baseball on the tube.

Gonna attend some games as well, just working it out my UT student son.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »
I love being able to watch Longhorn beisbol on the Longhorn Network.  Great stuff.

I was planning on making all 3 games this weekend but something came up tonight, still should be able to attend tomorrow and Sunday, though.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 03:05:55 PM »
I generally like Sunday games the best for a variety of reasons but the forecast looks so bad I wouldn't be surprised if they try to squeeze in two tomorrow and give Sunday a miss.

The forecast for tonight's weather actually looks a smidge better than tomorrow's, so I'm trying to round up a companion to accompany me.   My i s c & a w does not do baseball before late April.  Two sons have already turned me down and one extended girlfriend says she would but has to work.

I'm thinking the third base line shouldn't be as bad as the first base line.  With any luck I could have my back to the howling norther.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 03:26:15 PM »
Third baseline is better all around.  More shelter when Disch Falk decides to be the coldest location on the planet in Feb/Mar, and more shade when Disch Falk decides to be the hottest location on the planet in May/June.

P.S. Please do not tell any Kansans that I might have suggested it gets hotter in Austin, than it does in Kansas.  They don't seem to like that very much.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »
I won't tell

and I don't think they even have time to lurk here any longer

too busy fighting global climate extremes in the center of the continent
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 03:56:14 PM »
I'll never forget the time Frankie and his contingent of large big red font Huskers came down to Wacko to see the Huskers play the B'ars and afterwards you said, Frankie, that a rainy 40 degree day in Texas was inexplicably colder than a 20 degree snowy day in the midwest.

It's true.  Us poor Texans are sensative because we have to endure all the superlatives even when it's seemingly mediocre.

If the earth got obliterated, us Texans would suffer the most.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »
I spent a half hour in Dollar Tree last night.  The son who was accompanying me couldn't get over the fact that so much of the merchandise had been pulled down and scattered on the floor.

Like I tried to explain, Dollar Tree is the closest thing to looting that most law abiding citizens ever get to experience.

Go in, go crazy, check out, spend about six bucks.   It's crazy.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 04:20:52 PM »
I'll never forget the time Frankie and his contingent of large big red font Huskers came down to Wacko to see the Huskers play the B'ars and afterwards you said, Frankie, that a rainy 40 degree day in Texas was inexplicably colder than a 20 degree snowy day in the midwest.

It's true.  Us poor Texans are sensative because we have to endure all the superlatives even when it's seemingly mediocre.

If the earth got obliterated, us Texans would suffer the most.
lightning delay under the bleachers, crappy tailgating weather
sometime in the 3rd quarter the sun came out and it was delightful.  4 different Huskers rushed for over 100 yards, fullback, Quarterback and two I-backs.
Must have been the time Vine Street Bomber made the trip with me.
2001, back in the good old daze, Huskers were ranked 4th at the time of that game
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »
Discussing Nebraska football on the "B12 Sports Commentary" thread.  What is this, 2009???

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »

We didn't play you that year.  Too bad Colorado and Miami clobbered you.  That was the year they swore they'd never let anybody who didn't win their conference go to the MNC game ever again.   How long did that last?  A year maybe?

It was also the year Chris Simms seemed to have money on Colorado in the CCG.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 04:58:17 PM »
Nebraska would've been better off staying put.  They had history, success, long-time neighboring rivals and an arch nemesis - all of which made them relevant.   

They gave up everything just to spite an enemy of everybody who couldn't care less.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »
both of those make better stories, staying and/or leaving to spite DeLoss

the sad truth is that the Huskers left for the money

yes utee, 2001

did you meet the Vine Street Bomber on that visit?

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »
Money.

Ain't it funny how we scorn other people for putting money ahead of tradition and sentimentality?  Yet, who among us probably wouldn't do the exact same thing if given the choice?

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.