header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT - In your opinion, what are the B1G's "helmet schools"?

(Read 13675 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: OT - In your opinion, what are the B1G's "helmet schools"?
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
Chip Kelly at an LSU would be sick.  Him at any school with crazy default talent wouldn't be fair.
You really think he's that good? sorry, I really don't.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
Chip Kelly at an LSU would be sick.  Him at any school with crazy default talent wouldn't be fair.

he'd have to keep Dave Arranda around, but yeah I really think him at LSU would be something crazy to see. He'd give Saban fits with the kind of talent that LSU always has at the skill positions. LSU's achilles heel has been QB play. You know that will be A+ with Chip Kelly. Imagine a guy like Fournette in a run first offense with a legit real life QB. Would have been video game type numbers. Hell Guice is going to replace Fournette and he was a 5* RB and is an absolute STUD. He'll probably be a 1st round pick when he comes out too. Imagine had the two of them been together in a Chip Kelly offense. Would have been absolutely nutty. Very few teams ever have two RB's that good playing together at the same time.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »
The advantages Michigan has today over Nebraska have always been the advantages Michigan has had over Nebraska.  Nothing has changed in the last 15 years except for coaching staffs. 

Is it tougher to win in Lincoln than AA, yes.  Does Mich have more money than Nebraska?  yes.  That has always been true...  The reality is if UNL finds a great coach and gets over this idea that it has to be a TO guy or it has to be opposite of a TO guy and just finds the best coach available (and now with the full BIG money, UNL has the cash to do much more..), then they will be fine.  Hire a mid major coach and you get mid major results. 

UNL invests a lot into football and so do it's fans.  Maybe too much.   I worry about this cycle never ending (due to the fans) and that is why UNL won't be a helmet school.  But it won't be due to "new" changes in the CF landscape.  They are not new. 

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »

College? Absolutely. Pros? He's a terrible fit. Way too old school disciplinarian. Way too tied to his system. NFL it's all about the players. More specifically the QB. College it's all about the coach.

46-7. At Oregon. He that good.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2017, 01:38:36 PM »

What makes LSU good today is not what Chip does.. 

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
Chip would not win in Lincoln like he did at Oregon.   Take a 500 mile radius around Lincoln and does that area raise kids who fit into chips scheme?   

Ironically, Riley's system fits the kids better than Bo's... Bo didn't leverage a FB and his OC said the TE position was out dated.  Riley actually likes the FB, TE's who can block and H-Backs.   The "blue collar roles" fit a lot of kids in that region.  And the move to the 3-4 also fits the kids.   Way more 3 techs than 1 or 2 techs in rural America.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2017, 01:42:22 PM »
The advantages Michigan has today over Nebraska have always been the advantages Michigan has had over Nebraska.  Nothing has changed in the last 15 years except for coaching staffs. 

Is it tougher to win in Lincoln than AA, yes.  Does Mich have more money than Nebraska?  yes.  That has always been true...  The reality is if UNL finds a great coach and gets over this idea that it has to be a TO guy or it has to be opposite of a TO guy and just finds the best coach available (and now with the full BIG money, UNL has the cash to do much more..), then they will be fine.  Hire a mid major coach and you get mid major results. 

UNL invests a lot into football and so do it's fans.  Maybe too much.   I worry about this cycle never ending (due to the fans) and that is why UNL won't be a helmet school.  But it won't be due to "new" changes in the CF landscape.  They are not new.

well said.

Michigan went through this hell for a decade after Lloyd Carr retired.

They thought they had to go "21st century" and the complete opposite of Lloyd Carr's conservative style so they hired the originator of the spread option- RichRod. Ended in disaster.

Then they thought oh we have to go get a "Michigan Man" someone who understands Michigan. So they hired Brady Hoke. Ended in disaster.

This last go round- they just went out and got the best guy available period. And so far it's been working out pretty good.

Mdot21

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
Chip would not win in Lincoln like he did at Oregon.   Take a 500 mile radius around Lincoln and does that area raise kids who fit into chips scheme?   

Ironically, Riley's system fits the kids better than Bo's... Bo didn't leverage a FB and his OC said the TE position was out dated.  Riley actually likes the FB, TE's who can block and H-Backs.   The "blue collar roles" fit a lot of kids in that region.  And the move to the 3-4 also fits the kids.   Way more 3 techs than 1 or 2 techs in rural America.

Yeah, I don't buy that. How about a 500 mile radius from Eugene, Oregon? Not sure there's really a ton of talent up that neck of the woods either. Definitely more than Lincoln, NE, but c'mon. Even when Nebraska was NEBRASKA under Osbourne- they recruited nationally. Lots of kids from California, Florida, Texas, all over. Nebraska is always going to have to recruit nationally to compete. Chip is one of the few coaches who can go into any home anywhere in America and have a shot at landing a kid. Especially if he plays QB, RB, or WR. Because he can tell that kid I can make you star and put you in the NFL and they know it's true.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
College? Absolutely. Pros? He's a terrible fit. Way too old school disciplinarian. Way too tied to his system. NFL it's all about the players. More specifically the QB. College it's all about the coach.

46-7. At Oregon. He that good.
His only real competition in the conference while he was there was Stanford. Every other team was down (except USC for one year, which he lost). Things would be different now.

At least his "show cause" penalty is expired now. So there's that.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
Riley's last 2 off-seasons tell me he didn't appreciate the pressure to win in Lincoln.  That first year they refused to go after a JUCO QB, OT, DT, or any position to speed up the transition.  While commendable that he wanted to work with the guys on the team, it also suggest a belief that he had time to transform.   He didn't.   Firing good friends speaks to an urgency.   He has a young team this year and if they falter, it will be tough for him in Lincoln.   If they do reasonably well, he will be ok.

I'm of the opinion Riley was brought to Lincoln to win a NC.. he was brought to fix a program.   I could be wrong, but he's spent a lot of time and energy fixing recruiting, changing the image and setting up back office roles/departments that were missing/under funded under Bo.   Heck, Bo wouldn't even use Huddle and the UNL alumni were giving it to him for free.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2017, 01:55:10 PM »
Yeah, I don't buy that. How about a 500 mile radius from Eugene, Oregon? Not sure there's really a ton of talent up that neck of the woods either. Definitely more than Lincoln, NE, but c'mon. Even when Nebraska was NEBRASKA under Osbourne- they recruited nationally. Lots of kids from California, Florida, Texas, all over. Nebraska is always going to have to recruit nationally to compete. Chip is one of the few coaches who can go into any home anywhere in America and have a shot at landing a kid. Especially if he plays QB, RB, or WR. Because he can tell that kid I can make you star and put you in the NFL and they know it's true.

when has UNL not recruited nationally?  In fact, UNL has always recruited California, Florida, and Texas as long as I can remember.    But you still have a regional bias to your roster.  That won't change.

Oregon grabbed a lot of undersized kids from California.  Maybe it was 600 miles away, but they were still west coast and they had the speed for his offense. 

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2017, 01:57:13 PM »
not to mention, if a large portion of UNL fans think Riley's offense is soft, they'd lose it over chips.   Want to piss off a UNL fan:  Fail on a 3rd and 1 running the ball.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
not to mention, if a large portion of UNL fans think Riley's offense is soft, they'd lose it over chips.   Want to piss off a UNL fan:  Fail on a 3rd and 1 running the ball.

Boy Howdy, that even riled them when Osborne's run call failed in that situation
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2017, 02:41:55 PM »
Riley's last 2 off-seasons tell me he didn't appreciate the pressure to win in Lincoln.  That first year they refused to go after a JUCO QB, OT, DT, or any position to speed up the transition.  While commendable that he wanted to work with the guys on the team, it also suggest a belief that he had time to transform.   He didn't.   Firing good friends speaks to an urgency.   He has a young team this year and if they falter, it will be tough for him in Lincoln.   If they do reasonably well, he will be ok.

I'm not sure how this was lost on Eichorst and/or Riley

Osborne obviously understood and hired Bo to fix the defense immediately and get to 9 wins that season.

Eichorst and Riley know it today and are very motivated.  I hope it shows in wins and losses this season.  Diaco needs to fix the defense.  The offense needs to be fixed by the improved QB play.  We shall see.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.