header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: smokin' pork ribs today

(Read 803 times)

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
smokin' pork ribs today
« on: August 19, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
I just joined the dark side... i went electric with a remote smoker.  It is a masterbuilt, fairly small in capacity... it came out of the box and was seasoned last night for about four hours... while that was going on i pulled some pork ribs and stripped the membrane, dried them, coated lightly in olive oil, and rubbed them in my wife's custom rub...

this morning i pulled the ribs out of the fridge and let them sit on the counter for about an hour or so, fired up the smoker- pecan chips, and set it to 230* for five hours 45 minutes.. i'm about three hours into it right now.

I got the smoker for free- part of a 'congrats you've put up with us for 15 years' thing my company puts on.. i crossed that line a few months ago, but just now getting the stuff.  I'd never have bought this on my own- preferring to use standard smokers (but just because i'm a cheapskate). 

I highly rec them... i couldn't stand it- i pulled one of the half rack out and sliced a rib off... dunked it in some homemade sauce my neighbor does that is fantastic- and..... bliss.... the smoke is throughout the meat.  that's the first time i've managed that all by myself. 

anyone got any good smoking specific recipes?  I've got a whole pig in my freezer, and both a standing rib eye roast and a tenderloin, both in the 15# class... I'm thinking pork belly next?

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: smokin' pork ribs today
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »
Atomic Buffalo Turds: jalapeno sliced in half and de-seeded. Filled with cream cheese with some cayenne, a l'il smokie, and then wrapped in bacon. Dust with brown sugar and smoke ~350 until the jalapeno is tender and the bacon is crisp.

Fattie: Get a 1# "chub" of breakfast sausage (or similar), spread it out flat in a gallon ziplock. Roll with your choice of filler inside. When you have the roll, make a bacon weave and then roll the sausage roll into the bacon weave. Some people do breakfast fatties (scrambled egg, hash brown, cheese, onion, bell pepper), some people do more savory. I did it filled with pulled pork chili last year made with Badge's recipe plus cheddar cheeses and it was awesome.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 04:18:49 PM »
had poppers last night from jalapeno's grown in the garden, and bacon from a pig harvested in the spring (and frozen until recently).  cream cheese was from store, and of the chive and onion variety.  i eat them all the time- my wife's creation... i prefer the bacon crisp. 

the 'fattie' sounds like something a guy who works for me makes- and pretty dang good.  i really like the things he has made and shared with us, from brisket to turkey (and i'm not a turkey fan), but i need to figure out what woods he uses to smoke with- it's terrible. 

the pecan chips i just used impart a straight up sweet flavor- the ends i cut off the pork ribs burst with flavor like a piece of bubbleicious - sweet and with a twang, too.  I'm sure the 'twang' came from the apple cider vinager, Worcestershire, 1/4 tspoon of minced garlic cloves (about a cup and a half) in the pan during smoking. 

the internal temperature of those things sniffed 170* after about four hours, so- i pulled them, slathered them with that sauce my neighbor makes, wrapped them in foil pretty tightly- put them back in for about half an hour more... they're standing in the wrap on the counter now, and it's killing me not to attack them... i may have pulled one rib off already- and which makes me guilty of biggest smokers sin.   

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:56:26 AM »
Well, how'd they turn out?

I've never used an electric smoker myself, as I've always had access to a large offset.  The restaurants that I've tried in the past that used electric never impressed me all that much, but it could certainly be different for an individual.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 03:30:05 PM »
they were fantastic- according to my wife too tough, but just right for me... i prefer a little resistance when i'm pulling a bone or tearing a chunk free with my jawals... feels... medieval.... yup...

the smoke was thoroughly through the meat... first time i've ever pulled that off... using a grill as a smoker, i usually get that light red ring just under the surface.  this one was throughout.  i dig that, too.

lesson learned about the little remote- if you turn it on last, the smoker takes the cue from it... won't do that again..   

Please Support Site: