header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2019 Senseless Recruiting Jibberish

(Read 42950 times)

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: 2019 Senseless Recruiting Jibberish
« Reply #504 on: February 06, 2019, 09:46:36 AM »
4* OL Doug Nester from WV flips from OSU to WVU

MSU signed its lone late commit, WR Tre'Von Morgan from OH.

A much quieter day than this used to be

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #505 on: February 06, 2019, 10:18:08 AM »
4* OL Doug Nester from WV flips from OSU to WVU

MSU signed its lone late commit, WR Tre'Von Morgan from OH.

A much quieter day than this used to be
Nester to Va Tech not WVU.  

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: February 06, 2019, 10:18:13 AM »
I am slightly amused at how folks stress over whether their 247 number is really 304.79 or 305.11.

Two significant figures past the decimal?  Really?

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: February 06, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »
I am slightly amused at how folks stress over whether their 247 number is really 304.79 or 305.11.

Two significant figures past the decimal?  Really?

When it's such an exact science as starz, 2 decimals can mean everything.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #508 on: February 06, 2019, 10:37:09 AM »
How much real difference is there between finishing 1st and 5th, or even 10th?  Probably some in terms of numbers of 5 starz.

I figure if you're top ten, you should be in good shape, but you might not play that out when it comes to the season (duh).  That five star guy might only give you 2 years of production, if that.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: February 06, 2019, 10:43:55 AM »
How much real difference is there between finishing 1st and 5th, or even 10th?  Probably some in terms of numbers of 5 starz.

I figure if you're top ten, you should be in good shape, but you might not play that out when it comes to the season (duh).  That five star guy might only give you 2 years of production, if that.
Probably not much.  Just like you grab any two given recruits, I'm guessing there's not much difference.  The difference comes in those top classes stacking highly rated guys.  Any given 3* guy could be just as good, but the odds are obviously lower.  You load up classes with 4* and 5* guys, even if you miss on half of them (which seems high), you still have more highly rated kids than a class loaded with 3* kids.  That's why I never get too high or too low over any singular recruit, I think that is an inexact science, but because it's such an inexact science, I think the value is in the quantity of highly rated kids, not a make or break kid here or there.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #510 on: February 06, 2019, 10:54:05 AM »
Vague contingencies make offers almost irrelevant, almost as irrelevant as the verbal commitment by some 16 year old player.

I'm sure it's a thrill for a junior (or younger) to get an offer letter, but the "fine print" obviously makes it more of an expression of possible potential could be interest, perhaps.
That sums it up pretty well.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #512 on: February 06, 2019, 11:19:09 AM »
UGA signed the top two ranked recruits from the state of Alabama in what is an obvious twist.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #513 on: February 06, 2019, 11:27:34 AM »
That's why I never get too high or too low over any singular recruit, I think that is an inexact science, but because it's such an inexact science, I think the value is in the quantity of highly rated kids, not a make or break kid here or there.
Exactly. Double that with the fact that football is a team sport. I don't care if you have a 100* running back, if he's behind an unrated OL and a QB and WR crew that can't throw or catch, that RB is going to get killed behind the LOS on nearly every play. 
The more highly rated kids you have at ALL positions, the generally more talented your overall roster will be. Which means if some of them are busts [as some will inevitably be], you still have more talent on the field than a team that is trying to "coach up" and "develop" 3* and unrated recruits.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #514 on: February 06, 2019, 11:35:38 AM »
I think that's easy to agree with. Could even go further: don't the majority of fans, even of recruitniks, see it that way - treating recruiting as a probabilistic contest (rather than as an individual-by-individual destiny)? 

The most common arguments for recruiting rankings mattering are peppered with words like "in aggregate" and "more likely."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 12:25:38 PM by Anonymous Coward »

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #515 on: February 06, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »

Noa Pola-Gates makes it official. 

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #516 on: February 06, 2019, 01:01:58 PM »
Bucks get 4 star OL Enokk Vihami out of Hawaii

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #517 on: February 06, 2019, 03:44:02 PM »
Michigan published an example a few years back. There were three contingencies - citizenship, academics ... and still being good enough at football (worded in terms of sufficient and nonstop improvement).
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.