header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT - Books

(Read 17185 times)

nuwildcat

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
Re: OT - Books
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 06:11:56 AM »
I've really been into K-Pop music lately and thought I should learn more about the genre

To that end, I just finished reading The Birth of Korean Cool by Euny Hong

It delves not only into music but also the various facets that have made South Korea a great rags-to-riches story both at home and eventually on 6 continents:

TV dramas, movies, video games, Samsung and even kimchi .... yep, the fermented cabbage

I actually have 2 more Korean pop culture-related books but for variety's sake will read something else next

btw, a not-so-fun fact I didn't know before:

due to the extraordinarily stressful struggle for perfection everyone strives for, South Korea has the highest suicide rate in the world  ~???
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:35:36 AM by nuwildcat »
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
Top-14 finish in the conference each year
Stellar 4-10 bowl record

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
You have some strange interests, @nuwildcat  :86:

That said, kimchi rocks.

Back on topic, I'm going to start reading Game of Thrones soon, and will also read The Gunslinger (the first book in Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series that spurred the movie of the same name).

nuwildcat

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 03:20:15 AM »
You have some strange interests, @nuwildcat  :86:

That said, kimchi rocks.

Back on topic, I'm going to start reading Game of Thrones soon, and will also read The Gunslinger (the first book in Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series that spurred the movie of the same name).

What can I say, I'm a sucker for hella catchy melodies!

Actually, I may need help
- I'm waiting to get sick of the 12 K-Pop songs I've been listening to ad nauseam 
- it's been over 2 months and I still love (or at least kinda sorta like) 'em ~???
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
Stellar 4-10 bowl record

Geolion91

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 08:03:58 AM »
Currently reading "All Quiet on the Western Front"  It has really drawn me into the conditions of trench warfare in WWI.  Also recently read "The Time Machine", by H. G. Wells.

nuwildcat

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 08:13:34 PM »
Any Dave Barry fans here?

He's been my favorite humor writer since undergrad

Anyway, I just finished Best. State. Ever: A Florida man defends his homeland

Pretty damn funny as per usual
- this time, Barry takes the reader on a virtual tour of the places and people that make Florida a uniquely goofy-ass place

Definitely recommended for those who already like him and his style
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
Stellar 4-10 bowl record

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »
Let me know how it is.  Tannenberg is a highly underappreciated battle.  The Germans won, of course, but in the meantime they old Prussian Elite had become nervous due to the Russian hordes invading their homeland.  That nervousness probably ended up costing Germany their best (and probably only) chance to win WWI.  Short version:

When the Prussian Elites raised alarm over the Russian invasion of East Prussia the issue became such that the Imperial General Staff had to respond.  Their response was to transfer an entire army from the Western Front to the Eastern Front to meet the threat.  

Unfortunately for the Germans, this transferred Army was in transit (W->E) when the decisive actions against the Russians occurred in East Prussia and again in transit (E->W) when the Battle of the Marne stopped the German advance into France on the Marne river.  

Notably, the German army that was withdrawn from the Western Front due to the apparent threat in the East was taken from the exact spot where the French discovered and attacked a large gap in the German line.  Had it not been for the Russian invasion of East Prussia these troops would never have been taken off of the Western Front and it is entirely possible that France would have been knocked out of WWI.  Given that Tsarist Russia subsequently collapsed it is entirely possible that this could have dramatically altered the outcome of WWI.  

Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August is a great read about the diplomatic attempts to avoid the war and the early days of WWI.  

WWI is fascinating to me, moreso than WWII.  The technological changes during WWI were, IMHO, even more immense than during WWII.  Look at aircraft, for example.  In the fall of 1914 when the war started the aircraft mostly looked pretty much like the Wright Brother's original flying machine.  They were mostly wood and cloth bi-planes with almost no armor or armament.  By the fall of 1918 there were some very modern-looking all metal monoplanes with substantial armor and armament.  Similarly, on the ground at the beginning of the war Cavalry was a major weapon and rifles were similar to the ones used by the armies of Napoleon and his enemies a century earlier.  By the end of the war there were tanks and machine guns.  

The cultural changes brought on by WWI were also immense.  At the beginning troops in Austria Hungry answered to an Emperor, troops in Russia answered to a Tsar, troops in Germany answered to a Kaiser.  The families of the Emperor, Tsar, and Kaiser had ruled at least parts of their respective lands for centuries.  When the dust settled after WWI the Tsar and his family were all dead and Russia was ruled by a Politburo.  The Austro-Hungarian Emperor died during the war (he was over 80 when it started) and at the end of the war the empire was dissolved into many pieces and his successor lived out his post-war life in Madeira in exile.  The Kaiser fled Germany at the end of the war and lived out his days as an exile in the Netherlands.  
WW I rifles were all fast loading with cartridges fashioned usually after the Mauser, and they were rifles.  The Napoleonic era weapons were muskets, unrifled, and slow loading in the main.  The British had some Rifle Companies but their rifles were even slower to load.  The bolt action was a significant advance in rapidity of fire as was the cartridge.

Other advances were of course in rifled artillery where the French 75 was a breakthrough type weapon and the Germans built monsters like the "Paris Gun", use of railroads (also seen in the US Civil War), entrenchments in the battlefield seldom used in the Napoleonic Wars, and of course poison gas.  And of course naval ships were considerably advanced over 1814.

The Germans at that time were undisputed masters in the field of chemistry.  They had invested the Haber process which meant their explosives were no longer dependent on mining of saltpeter etc.  And they devised use of agents like chlorine and mustard "gas" and phosgene.  The nerve agents did not come along until the mid-1930s from insecticide research, also led by the Germans (and not used in WW 2 by the Germans).

The northern belt of France was pretty much demolished in WW One, including the Champagne region, which led to the strategy in 1940 of fighting the next war defensively and in Belgium.  That didn't work out so well.
One of the interesting things about WWI was the extent to which the military establishments of the European powers had failed to learn lessons from the American Civil War.  The ACW demonstrated how the advent of rifles (with their much-longer range than muskets) expanded the killing zone out in front of defending infantry.  This--combined with defenders improving their positions with trenches and/or abatis made it much more difficult for frontal attacks to succeed.  No longer could smooth-bore artillery move close enough to defending infantry to use their anti-personnel ammunition, Napoleon-style--the horses drawing the guns were too easy for rifle-armed defenders to hit.

And rifles themselves improved.  The standard ones were essentially rebarrelled muskets, with reduced bore.  They were muzzle-loaders, just like Napoleonic-era muskets, with paper cartridges that soldiers had to tear open with their teeth, pour the powder down the bore, then push the patch and the Minie ball down with a ramrod.  By the end of the war there were many units equipped with breech-loading rifles and carbines, and even some repeating, metallic-cartridge rifles.

So defending armies went to ground, entrenched, and put up barricades, and attacking armies usually lost.  Cavalry moved to the margins of the battlefield, being used for reconnaissance and security missions, and occasionally in economy-of-force roles, such as Buford's division on Day 1 of Gettysburg, but virtually never in frontal charges except against other cavalry (Custer's fight against elements of Stuart's command east of Union lines at Gettysburg on Day 3 is a good example) or disorganized, scattered, or retreating infantry.

The bayonet became less important.  There was some prevalent humor that the only bayonet wounds delivered were in the backs of soldiers who were already breaking.  Bayonets didn't become useless, but because the killing zone of defensive positions had so increased in depth, bayonet charges seldom reached their objectives.

All of this was there for the European armies to learn, but they mostly didn't.  They wrote off the lessons of the ACW as the product of mass, poorly trained armies fighting under the command of amateur generals.  They had to experience the horrible offensives of 1915 before they learned the truth.
Play Like a Champion Today

nuwildcat

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 04:31:34 AM »
I just finished Pure Dynamite, an autobiography by Tom Billington (aka 'The Dynamite Kid', member of the old school wrestling tag team British Bulldogs)

Quite eye-opening and candid .... perhaps unsurprising given it wasn't published by the WWE (which tends to have watered-down, tame, formulaic crap such as those by Rey Mysterio, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, etc.)

The only exceptions to this were the WWE-published books by Mick Foley (aka 'Mankind')
- his were amazing 'cuz he's such a gifted writer

That said, THE very best wrestling-related autobiography is Hitman: My real life in the cartoon world of wrestling by Bret 'the Hitman' Hart
- this along with Andre Agassi's Open are easily the best sports autobiographies I've read ... highly recommended if you're remotely interested in either genre or person
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:04:56 AM by nuwildcat »
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
Stellar 4-10 bowl record

Geolion91

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 12:14:43 PM »
Any Dave Barry fans here?

He's been my favorite humor writer since undergrad

Anyway, I just finished Best. State. Ever: A Florida man defends his homeland

Pretty damn funny as per usual
- this time, Barry takes the reader on a virtual tour of the places and people that make Florida a uniquely goofy-ass place

Definitely recommended for those who already like him and his style
I love Dave Barry.  I haven't read anything of his for quite awhile.  I need to go see what he has that I haven't read yet.

nuwildcat

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »
I love Dave Barry.  I haven't read anything of his for quite awhile.  I need to go see what he has that I haven't read yet.
He's been the model of consistency ever since I discovered him

That said, I'm not crazy about his fiction (read Tricky business when it came out [his 1st novel] and it was meh at best ... have no desire to read any others)
I definitely much prefer his simple observations about the world around him
btw, his weekly Miami Herald column appeared in the Sunday paper here in Chicago as well
- I miss those
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
Stellar 4-10 bowl record

nuwildcat

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »
Just finished Blaine Harden's Escape from Camp 14

It's a biography about Shin Dong-hyuk, the only person born and raised in a North Korean political prison camp known to have escaped.

Easily one of the most disturbing titles I've ever read but also one of the most enlightening.

Learning about the horrific conditions and human right atrocities in NK is hella uncomfortable but I still highly recommend this book.  
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
Stellar 4-10 bowl record

huskerdinie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »
As an aside, the Civil War suffers from recency bias in the face of WW II, when it comes to contemporary comprehension.  Nothing can really be done about that, given the advantages WW II has over the Civil War.  The fact that we still have veterans,  not to mention documentation out the wazoo in the form of video, audio and other media.

That isn't to say the Civil War (its history) is w/o its supporters, on the contrary,  it is unbelievable the volume of material which exists which chronicles nearly every conceivable angle of the war.   I just find the war underappreciated in a general sense for how destructive and life altering it was for our country.
speaking of Civil War books, I have a ton of Civil War, Custer's Last Stand / Battlefield, etc books that were in my father's library at home and when he passed away six years ago, I inherited all of them along with all our genealogy work he and I had done over the past twenty years.  I have downsized and moved to a much smaller place, so I need to find a home for them.  I had thought of donating to the Lincoln library system, or the State Historical Society, but the society probably won't take them cause of not being specific to Nebraska history.  So.....

If you (or anyone else on this board) are interested, I would be happy to give them to someone who has an interest in that era.  PM me for more info if interested.  
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant.  Anonymous

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
I've started reading Parenting from the Inside Out By Daniel J. Siegel, M.D.

It's an interesting read on how we were raised leads to how we are going to raise our own children, and being aware of that can lead to making better, more enjoyable decisions.

Good Stuff.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 01:31:26 PM by TyphonInc »

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
I'm currently slogging through Tolstoy's War and Peace. It's plodding, but a somewhat interesting take on Russia's involvement in the Napoleonic Wars and the life of the Russian aristocracy. I give it about two stars.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
I recently read The Dog Stars by Peter Heller.    I enjoyed it.  Similar to the Road, but not as depressing.   Quick read too, so it was perfect for a vacation.

from amazon:

Hig somehow survived the flu pandemic that killed everyone he knows. Now his wife is gone, his friends are dead, and he lives in the hangar of a small abandoned airport with his dog, Jasper, and a mercurial, gun-toting misanthrope named Bangley.

But when a random transmission beams through the radio of his 1956 Cessna, the voice ignites a hope deep inside him that a better life exists outside their tightly controlled perimeter. Risking everything, he flies past his point of no return and follows its static-broken trail, only to find something that is both better and worse than anything he could ever hope for.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.