header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Texas at USC

(Read 19431 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Texas at USC
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 03:19:11 PM »
I want Texas to win for the obvious reason, but I also just want the fans that threw those "fans" on the field to feel like idiots.

Tom Herman's debut brought out the worst in entitled Texas fans.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 03:31:10 PM »
You'd think the past 7 years would have bludgeoned out the entitlement, but no.  We are just that arrogant.  
Kneel before our arrogance, I say!

Anyway, I like drew's analysis, and think it's pretty reasonable.

Here's hoping the Horns play to their max ceiling, and also pick up every available "free point" on the table.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »
The line has UT as a 14 point dog

Considering the ranking of SC and the fact UT is the visitor this may be optimistic

We need our starting QB back to have a chance

has anyone read what his status is
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »
Ehlinger acquitted himself nicely. He plays fearless, and throws a fearless ball. This led to some amazing completions that wouldn't have normally occurred. It also led to some sure boneheaded interceptions had SJSU remembered to squeeze the ball. 

I can put together some plausible scenarios for the Texas offense to score points. If the OL really is that invested in the process, then savvy play calling can keep the USC defense guessing sufficient enough to hold the ball.

What is stretching my faith past reality right now is having our defensive secondary suddenly go into lockdown mode. Individually, they're athletic enough to do it. I'm just filled with visions of a vacated middle occupied by nothing but 'SC receivers gliding down the seams for TDs. 

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2017, 05:20:36 PM »
We need our starting QB back to have a chance
All I can say is I now see why Buchelle was not hands-down named the starter 9 months ago.
Buchelle has the experience, a deeper playbook, and possibly threads the needle better.
But Ehlinger looked tough and durable out there.  He hit a few good ones, he also threw some would-be picks.  He's got the edge on arm strength, and his run game is a step ahead of Buchelle.
To my knowledge, Herman has never solidly shut down any talk of QB controversy - although he probably should have.  He himmed and hawwed when asked about his QB's in the post game.
To me, this just means that Herman sees the experience in Buchelle, but he sees more potential in Ehlinger.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 05:37:46 PM »
I think Buchele is the more accurate passer

He scrambles better which is a big plus with our OL

He got the go ahead to practice Tuesday and Wednesday but is still not 100%

They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
All I can say is I now see why Buchelle was not hands-down named the starter 9 months ago.
Buchelle has the experience, a deeper playbook, and possibly threads the needle better.
But Ehlinger looked tough and durable out there.  He hit a few good ones, he also threw some would-be picks.  He's got the edge on arm strength, and his run game is a step ahead of Buchelle.
To my knowledge, Herman has never solidly shut down any talk of QB controversy - although he probably should have.  He himmed and hawwed when asked about his QB's in the post game.
To me, this just means that Herman sees the experience in Buchelle, but he sees more potential in Ehlinger.
Bingo.
I think Buchelle could be a great quarterback in an offense built around his skills, but I don't think Herman has the inclination to do that.  I think he prefers what dual threat quarterbacks bring to the table.  And that's fine.  It's his prerogative.  
Ehlinger and Heard are both better fits for Herman's offernse.  Hell, Little Jordan Humphrey is too.
Maybe instead of giving Heard a package, maybe Herman should give Buchelle a package and otherwise let Ehlinger and Heard run the offense.
It would be better than seeing Shane get killed.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 12:46:39 PM »
I would take Texas and the points.  The chances of this team winning in LA is slim, but 17 pts is inviting.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »
This might be a good gauge of how much true progress UT made from week 1 and week 2, and how much was the quality of opponent.  USC looked frighteningly good by the end of the Stanford game.  Not that they demolished them or anything.  But they were consistently and appreciably better, and I think Stanford is a legitimately good team.  

I'm not convinced SC didn't register the actual best win last weekend, despite OU/OSU making all the news.  SC looked as good as I've seen a team look this season.  Texas has their work cut out for them to beat the spread.  I'd be fairly shocked if they pull the upset.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 07:46:00 PM »
I'd be fairly shocked if Texas keeps it within 3 TDs at the final gun, but here's hoping for the best.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 09:10:09 AM »
yep

If I were to place a bet on this game Id take SC and give the points

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »
yep

If I were to place a bet on this game Id take SC and give the points
Whew.  Good to know that the fairy dust Maryland expectations are now out the window.
Now maybe we can just enjoy watching a program rebuild.  There's no cake.  There was never a cake.  We must now build one.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 10:03:34 AM »
Whew.  Good to know that the fairy dust Maryland expectations are now out the window.
Now maybe we can just enjoy watching a program rebuild.  There's no cake.  There was never a cake.  We must now build one.
This was a 5-7 team last year.  6-6 would represent an improvement.  
Here's hoping for some improvement.

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
A 14 point dog wins about 12-15% of the time in college.  A 21 point dog wins about 1% of the time.

Texas beating USC would be one of the upsets of the year, possible, but not very likely, and it strike me that losing by 21+ is more likely.  I'd give the points also, but perhaps Texas had too many bugs in the system in Week 1 and is really a fairly talented team that can compete if they execute.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.