header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 28104 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2017, 09:07:47 AM »
No offense because I don't think anybody realized this before but the Big 12 porch is more of a religion than a place of worship.  It's alive but it seems to follow the posters from one thread to another while this one sits empty.  Maybe we'll all congregate here again someday, like an Easter or Christmas, or revival or pancake supper, or if someone dies or gets married.  But until that time the porch is a spirit that moves.  Right now he may be on the haiku thread.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2017, 09:08:24 AM »
Well, now you've gone and done it!

Say drew, what's your favorite deep-fried food, or food served on a stick, or other generally unhealthy food, the type of which is served at, say, large state fairs?

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2017, 09:10:09 AM »
For me personally, it's still got to be the venerable old corny dog.  And specifically, the Fletcher's corny dog.  I like it with a little mustard, but I won't fault someone for using ketchup either.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2017, 09:13:47 AM »
I telework on Thursdays and la familia has to go to HS JV football games right after work so I've been fixing dinner and in memory of my dearly departed mean as hell crazier than a poophouse rat Okie momma, I've been fixing things she used to fix in the '70s.

Like cheeseburger hamburger helper, lasagne, quick and sloppy king ranch chicken casserole made with doritos.  Tonight I believe I'll fry up a round steak, make cream gravy and biscuits.  Next week might be shake and bake chicken.

My kids can't believe we used to eat such crappy, cheesy, decadent food in the '70s.  They're starting to understand why we don't have many brain cells left.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
shrimp burgers are a local thing... so is shrimp and cheese grits... i'll not turn either down, but as you can imagine they vary widely depending on who made them. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »
Don't see any shrimp burgers around here, but plenty of places do shrimp and cheese grits.  Tends to be New Orleans style when we do it here.

Speaking of food from the 70s, and grits, my mama makes this delicious sausage-cheese-grits casserole.  We usually have it as one of the sides for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter dinner.  It's so freaking delicious, and it's one of those old school 70s recipes that is so old it actually has a store-bought ingredient that no longer exists-- the Kraft Garlic Cheese Log. It was discontinued several years back and now there are all kinds of food blogs that have developed substitute recipes.  

They taste close enough, but certainly aren't as convenient as the overly-processed deliciousness of the original garlic cheese log.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »
y'all ever eat sausage balls?  no... never rare... 
breakfast sausage and shredded cheddar cheese in equal proportions, (say a pound each), and then a couple cups of bisquick... all mixed up, formed into balls.. put on a cookie sheet and broiled for twenty or so minutes... boom- delicious little bites you just can't stop eating... I usually do this around Christmas with intent to chomp on them during the games- but the family has since discovered them and they're gone a few hours after production. 

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2017, 10:15:48 AM »
About these shrimp burgers ... are they burgers with shrimp added, or are the basically shrimp sandwiches on hamburger buns?  Either way it sounds pretty yummy.

There’s a place here in my new digs, ie 51, er I mean, Maryland called simply Fish Tacos that’s a true Mexican outfit and features a lot of different shrimp taco and burrito plates.  It’s REALLY good.  But no burgers.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
To me, burger = ground meat of some type.

Ground up shrimp? An unimaginable desecration.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
Never heard of sausage balls, Drew.  I doubt anybody ever has.  Must be something your family invented that you just imagine othrr people eat.

:72:

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2017, 10:30:30 AM »
basically it's fried P&D shrimp piled up on a butter-toasted bun with coleslaw and cocktail sauce... they're purty dang tasty... 

i never thought i'd like something called fish taco's, but... i do.. especially blackened fish or shrimp... key is good slaw and black beans, and a splash of sour cream... a good pico also adds to the experience. 

my wife makes a great slaw- and she also makes some sort of pepper infused mayo- it's fantastic on beer battered fried chicken breast sandwiches, and it's even better on hickory-smoked pork loin sandwiches.  i did that a couple weeks ago, and... I'll be doing it again. 

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »
About these shrimp burgers ... are they burgers with shrimp added, or are the basically shrimp sandwiches on hamburger buns?  Either way it sounds pretty yummy.

There’s a place here in my new digs, ie 51, er I mean, Maryland called simply Fish Tacos that’s a true Mexican outfit and features a lot of different shrimp taco and burrito plates.  It’s REALLY good.  But no burgers.
Why you gotta use the M word?

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2017, 10:34:55 AM »
I like to hear people say 'slaw.'   Sounds like a temporary placeholder word the early Brits just never got around to replacing.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2017, 10:38:18 AM »
It’s just in the spirit of RRS week primo.  But you know that ... I’m bracing myself for cyclone references, and in fact I can’t believe y’all haven’t yet exploited the tornado ripping up Norman image on the haiku thread yet.  Such a natural!

Of course the only tornado I’ve ever witnessed myself was in Paris Texas 1982.  That was a doozy - damn.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »
shag in eastern carolina's and shag across the drink in the UK mean two very different things.   often the brits train here with us on one of the regional bases, and then on a weekend when they venture out, some prim and proper southern woman will ask the brit's to 'shag'- all coy like, but knowing damn well what they're doing.  

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »
I like it with a little mustard, but I won't fault someone for using ketchup either.  
I will easily and readily fault someone for using ketchup on a corn dog.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2017, 12:21:01 PM »
I will easily and readily fault someone for using ketchup on a corn dog.
Well, I believe it's already been well-established that I'm a lot nicer than you are. :)

I'll be at the Texas State Fair tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to trying one of the new award winners, deep-fried chicken noodle soup on a stick.

In fact, my friend Bald Greg doesn't even call it the State Fair, he calls it the Dallas Food On A Stick Festival.

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »
Well, I believe it's already been well-established that I'm a lot nicer than you are. :)
I'm not so bad.  Something about a keyboard can make me a bastage.
Whereas in real life, if I witnessed someone dipping a corn dog in ketchup, I would likely just insult his mother and move on.

MikeDeTiger

• Global Moderator
  • Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »
My gf has made sausage balls similar to what you're talking about, Drew.  Her son loves fish tacos, I think they're just okay. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2017, 01:54:12 PM »
I've had those sausage balls too.  They're a staple for holiday parties, especially the kinds that have pot-luck appetizers/dishes.

I really like fish tacos, too. I like pretty much any kind of taco.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2017, 02:00:09 PM »
Sausage balls

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2017, 02:07:27 PM »
When you look at sausage balls, the thing about sausage balls is size and time cooked.  I've known moms who roll them small and burn them crunchy all the way through.  I like the ones that are a tad larger and possess the wonderful light hint of bisquick flakiness amidst their sausage and cheese.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2017, 02:11:22 PM »
somebody in the Dallas Ft Worth area maybe ought to deep fry some and sell them on a stick this weekend?

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »
Regarding the ketchup on corn dog discussion earlier, I seem to recall a funny quote from an otherwise terrible remake of the Bad News Bears where some kid says "My dad says the only people who put ketchup on hot dogs are mental patients and Texans."  

Hilarious because I would imagine we're the last people in the US to reach for a bottle of ketchup.  Our condiments are legion.   

MikeDeTiger

• Global Moderator
  • Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
Fried hamburger on a stick. 

I'm gonna do it. 

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »

True story: We are in the process of adopting another dog. I found this one last week and was debating on applying for him, but he would have to be willing to change names.  I'm not sure I could call for him with his current name and keep a straight face: 

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/39557902

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
Corndog.  It's a good name.

I always wanted to have a dog named "Mrs. Jones," "Mizz Jackson," or "Mrs. Peel."  I always thought that be a cute name for a little dog.

And then I could say things like, "me and Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones."  Or "Sorry Mizz Jackson, I am for real."  

As for Mrs. Peel, do any of you remember the original British series, "The Avengers"?  When I was a kid, British shows like that came on PBS to provide us with a more cosmopolitan point of view.

I can still recall young Diana Riggs in her leather pantsuit.  

Mmm... Mrs. Peel.

It would have to be a very good looking dog to deserve that moniker.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
True story: We are in the process of adopting another dog. I found this one last week and was debating on applying for him, but he would have to be willing to change names.  I'm not sure I could call for him with his current name and keep a straight face:

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/39557902

you get that critter around the wrong crew at the wrong time, and after a few puffs, the bottle of ketchup may come out and a foot pursuit ensued.... definitely change the name...

an aside:  three weeks ago i adopted a new pup- had to drive five hours to get him (actually, sent wife and kids off on that lil' trip)... couldn't believe i found a cane corso for free- (well, adoption fee's not withstanding).  he's going to be huge- he's 14 weeks old and 37 pounds, standing right at 16" at the shoulder... he's scrawny because he's growing so fast his weight/proportions can't keep up.... so far he's a blast.  i lost my rescued catahoula leopard dog in late june/early july after ten years with her (adopted her at around 4yo) and wanted another as seemingly fierce as she was.... this guy will fill that role for certain... he should top somewhere between 130 and 180 with a shoulder height of somewhere around 28".... i refused to chop and dock his, but otherwise- he'll look like a massive pitbull- or a massive pitbull that hasn't been docked and chopped...  

i wager anyone approaching my ladies with bad intentions when i'm not around will quickly alter their plans after seeing this guy (after he's fully grown).   
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:51:53 PM by Drew4UTk »

BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2017, 02:59:41 PM »
I always wanted to have a dog named "Mrs. Jones,"

And then I could say things like, "me and Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones."
Given the context, I wouldn't sing any further into that song.
Your intent goes from charming to alarming in a hurry.

Amazon:
Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here!