header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: CFB 51 Cookbook, equipment discussion, techniques

(Read 139301 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
good work and corngrats
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I haven't done an espresso rub yet but I've heard good things... 

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I haven't done an espresso rub yet but I've heard good things...
i use it a lot... every once in a while i can actually taste it as coffee flavor, but most times it blends right in.   the flavor is not like coffee, but it does add a different dimension that's hard to nail down in terms of flavor... it's one of those strange things culinary types talk about pairing that end up pairing very well but you'd never guess it prior... like jalapeno pepper jelly and cream cheese on a cracker- just doesn't make sense but it certainly does after you've tried it.  there are more comparison's, but that is first one to come to mind.  If I were to tell the whole truth and nothing but, though, i'd wager the powdered coffee bean (which is what I'm talking about when i say espresso) is more or less being used to absorb and seal than anything else.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
My Brother who has lived in Texas long enuff to have learned a few things about BBQ smoked a #14 brisket while I was there a couple weeks ago.  I brought it back and cubed it up to put in chili.

<br /><br />

<br /><br />

<br /><br />

umm, that's NOT my brother in the top pic by the smoker
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 01:22:19 PM by FearlessF »
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
so, this morning I substituted the smoked brisket for the usual browned tri-tip I use for my chili

chili was in the pot at 10:30, ready to serve at 1:30.   Ram's kickoff at 2pm

<br /><br />

<br /><br />

<br /><br />

<br /><br />

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Nice!! Def chili season, huh?

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I recently did the same, with smoked brisket point cubed into the chili. Left it all day in the slow cooker. I think it caused the meat to dry out. Because it was already cooked, I think it ended up overcooking with that much time. 

I think your plan of only cooking ~3 hours is better. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Nice!! Def chili season, huh?
9 degrees above at the moment
forecast 1-3 inches of snow tomorrow
Chili season

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I recently did the same, with smoked brisket point cubed into the chili. Left it all day in the slow cooker. I think it caused the meat to dry out. Because it was already cooked, I think it ended up overcooking with that much time.

I think your plan of only cooking ~3 hours is better.
yes, with the meat already cooked, you just need to cook the minced onion and let the chili powder and spices simmer into the meat.  2 hours might have been enough

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Damn FF what was in the pot?Briskett & V-8 which I add too my chili if it needs liquid.That or a good Porter
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
mostly chicken broth, chili powders, cumin, minced fresh onion, minced fresh garlic.  The red color comes from a small can of tomato sauce

I had V-8 in my bloody mary yesterday

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
yes, with the meat already cooked, you just need to cook the minced onion and let the chili powder and spices simmer into the meat.  2 hours might have been enough
Yup.  If I'm making BBQ brisket chili, then I usually still do about half the meat as standard uncooked cubed beef (and chorizo for the grease) which cooks all day, and do the other half as cubed/diced brisket (or rib meat), and it only goes into the pot when there's maybe 2 hours left.
But, since it doesn't have as long to meld, that combination is actually much much much better the next day after being refrigerated and reheated.  That's true of most chili and stews, but especially true for the BBQ brisket chili.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
good idea about the 2 hours

as for the chorizo, it's similar to bacon, it just makes anything better

many times I'll add some pork sausage to add some pork fat/grease

the pork grease helps some of the heat stick to the tongue

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Yup, I typically  brown chorizo and reserve the meat, and use the fat to sear the cubed beef.  I sometimes do this with bacon as well and my last batch I browned a pound of bacon, a pound of chorizo, and then seared all my cubed meats in the bacon/chorizo grease.  And reintroduced the chorizo and diced bacon much later in the cook.  That was a pretty fabulous batch, I must say.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.