header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: CFB 51 Cookbook, equipment discussion, techniques

(Read 139401 times)

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
I don't have as much to say as you guys on the topic but subscribe to your general concept of wood use when cooking .  I just won't post 500 words on it.:)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Yes indeed, I'm running a pretty large offset stick-burner.  Excellent points on the differences between a setup like mine, and one of the ceramic BGE style cookers.

I really love the BGE, several friends have them and they not only make very good BBQ, but they're versatile in that they can be used as pizza ovens and for other very high-heat applications.  I'll likely get one someday.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Yes indeed, I'm running a pretty large offset stick-burner.  Excellent points on the differences between a setup like mine, and one of the ceramic BGE style cookers.

I really love the BGE, several friends have them and they not only make very good BBQ, but they're versatile in that they can be used as pizza ovens and for other very high-heat applications.  I'll likely get one someday.
Agreed. When I got the kamado, I had a gas grill and a propane smoker. The gas grill was on its last legs, such that I knew whatever grill I got would be a replacement for it. And I wanted to consolidate away from the propane smoker, so the plan was to sell that.
So I wasn't looking for a "smoker", I was looking for a versatile grill. The kamado is that. It does everything well--perhaps not AS well as dedicated cookers for each type of cooking, but it's a better smoker than a gas grill, better at searing than a gas grill or a pellet grill, and better at "grilling" than an offset smoker. I wanted "one grill to rule them all", and the kamado was best at that. 
I'd love to have an offset smoker. But I don't often smoke in high enough quantities and frequency to justify the cost of a "big" one, and I generally don't like the build quality of the "cheap" ones relative to my kamado, so I don't see it in my near future. If I was regularly entertaining a 20+ extended family or throwing big parties--or if I lived close enough to Purdue to justify a trailer smoker for tailgates, it might make sense for me. 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Charcoal/wood is not permitted at the condo building we moved to, despite the fact that my patio is 20'x50' (not a balcony, obviously). I appealed and the association denied me. So, I had to give the Weber Performer away. Maybe someday I can get back into natural cooking, but not now. The best I can probably pull off is to get a "smoker" box for my Genesis. Oh well.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Charcoal/wood is not permitted at the condo building we moved to, despite the fact that my patio is 20'x50' (not a balcony, obviously). I appealed and the association denied me. So, I had to give the Weber Performer away. Maybe someday I can get back into natural cooking, but not now. The best I can probably pull off is to get a "smoker" box for my Genesis. Oh well.
Where do they fall on the question of pellet grills? My father-in-law moved into a retirement community and they didn't allow charcoal/wood, but he managed to get them to agree that a pellet grill was different than those... (Not sure how, since it burns compressed wood pellets, but if you make the argument creatively enough, maybe you could win it.)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
somehow I'm not worried about Badge

He will preserver and continue to eat well
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I just loaded a massive brisket in the smoker... it barely fit... dang thing must be 20#.  

12~15 hours from now, I should be pulling a purty chunk of chow out of that thing!

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
dropped that brisket in the smoker at noon- it's just now starting to come out of the stall... powered through, no crutch.  kept the temperature in the 300 range nice and steady- used nothing but homemade charcoal and some maple splits.  

I'll come back and edit this when she comes out and again after i cut it... i've got high hopes for this one!!!

as promised:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:34:17 PM by Drew4UTk »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Shipping is an option. Selling brisket on the site could be a good thing amigo.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Shipping is an option. Selling brisket on the site could be a good thing amigo.
if my connection up in your neck of the woods (well, further north) was reliable, I'd be all over it... he has great products, but not a lot of ambition.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Couple of good places down here in Texico will ship you cooked brisket.  It ain't cheap, but...

Looks really good, Drew.  I don't crutch very often either.  I do usually place a bit of foil over the thin end of the flat after a few hours, to keep it from getting overdone.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:

by the way.. thing isn't burned though it looks like it- i use an espresso rub... y'all should try that if you haven't.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
now I'm hungry!
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
great googlee mooglee i ain't.... i'm stuffed... and, i've been minding that smoker so much today i bet i have a smoke ring too... 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.