header pic

College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!! The Best FREE College Football Forum on the Internet!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Tailgate and other Recipes.... rescued from damnation- a project for all of us.

(Read 10986 times)

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
question:

regarding 8 inch and 10 inch teflon fry pans or other teflon cooking pans

what's the sweet spot for price?  I see pans for $20 and pans for $180

Cincy says I can buy good wine for $30/bottle

in the past I've gone with the cheaper pans and considered them disposable after 5 years or so
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
personally, i'd stay clear of teflon anything- a good stainless or better yet cast iron is the way to go.  will last forever.  teflon won't and it's but one mistake from being worthless. 

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
I have and use Cast Iron - skillets and dutch oven

I like the non-stick surfaces for eggs and other quick easy items - convenience
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
Those copper looking thingees are getting a lot of positive play lately. My brother likes his.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
saw those in the store for big dollars - was wondering if they are worth it

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
I'm talking about the ones available from copper chef and others like it.

$20...
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
yeah those hand peened copper sets are unbelievably expensive... but are heirloom quality. 

the copper bottomed ones are realistic... and i wager just as good for cookin'... 

a well seasoned cast won't stick.. I roll fried eggs right out of mine.  for a store bought ready non-stick, the ceramic coated ones are far better than teflon, but you gotta properly care for them, and a good scratch or two is going to wreck them (just like with teflon), but unlike teflon, you can cook things with oils in them without ruining them.  

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
  for a store bought ready non-stick, the ceramic coated ones are far better than teflon, but you gotta properly care for them, and a good scratch or two is going to wreck them (just like with teflon), but unlike teflon, you can cook things with oils in them without ruining them.  
thanks, I'll try this

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
11# brisket today... Started at around noon.  Its a quarter after 2200 now, and its jist coming out of the stall... I'm guessing two more hours or so... I didnt do the texas cheat, but just waited it out.  

Cowboy beans are waiting as a side... Spiced them up with some ground north country venison and concoction of spices that are proprietary... 

Seriously... The wait is killing me!!!! A little sliver fell off when I rotated it at 170.,, it was fantastic!!! 

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
Brisket turned out really freakin good. I'm telling y'all this smoker oven thing is the ticket.  Was a bit shocked how much was lost during the cook, though.. It started out 11# but I bet it only rendered 6 or 7.... Those things shrink quite a bit, huh? 

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
good that it's only a couple bucks a pound

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
good that it's only a couple bucks a pound
That's what always makes it hard to smoke beef short ribs...
Tons of lost weight during cooking, AND you're paying for bone in the price... And unlike the $3.29/lb prime brisket, it's often $9/lb or thereabouts for prime at Costco... 

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
That's what always makes it hard to smoke beef short ribs...
Tons of lost weight during cooking, AND you're paying for bone in the price... And unlike the $3.29/lb prime brisket, it's often $9/lb or thereabouts for prime at Costco...
funny... I bought the brisket from lowe's foods as they generally have a good selection of cuts... I bought a rib eye roast from them too, just because... but anyway:  you speak of paying for bones, and I get tickled when i see those massive tomahawk ribeyes.  don't get me wrong, i love a rib eye, and especially a bone in, but.... the steak is likely three pounds from the look of it, and it has at least a 30" bone hanging out of it.  I bet the bone is at least another pound... and @ $24.99 a pound.... it's just too funny to me.  
that 11# prime brisket was $37... that's not terrible but it isn't great either.  I can get the same cut from my connection in UP of Michigan for about $1.50/lbs.. and the last quote I got from him for prime cut standing rib eye roast was $9/lbs, and choice for $4.50/lbs... which is the reason I need to start selling the stuff on the interwebz- that and the plethora of seafood connections i have here local off the outer banks.  

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
same reason I need to start buying from you

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
It's about the end of the year for this as we get into summer, but this is a recipe that my wife found and we both enjoy... And the kids (10 & 5) like it too. The pepperoncini don't make the dish spicy, but give it a nice little acidic zing.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/246721/mississippi-roast-slow-cooker-pepperoncini-pot-roast/

MarqHusker

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Don't forget to keep those bones for beef stock. It's the best beef stock you can ever get.   No better way to carmelize onions or make a real brown sauce.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
Agree on the stock.

Also agree on buying food from Drewbie Doo's food store on this site.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
Don't forget to keep those bones for beef stock. It's the best beef stock you can ever get.   No better way to carmelize onions or make a real brown sauce.
Oh yeah. If I ever make short ribs, those bones stick around in the freezer for when I'm making pho or other beef soup.
Not going to waste those bones that I paid $8.99/lb for!!!

MarqHusker

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Interesting challenge today.  I need to smoke some ribs on the Egg, and drive about 75 minutes, where we will eat them for dinner. There will be other meat/food by others. The kicker is we won't eat dinner until 7pm and I'm heading down around 1pm.  I've decided to do a 2-1-  at about 300, cooler w wrap and then drive, and then 1 on the gas grill at the lake to finish.  I suspect this won't be ideal, but what the hell it's all family.

FearlessF

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
the Egg won't fit in the truck?

MarqHusker

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
The ribs turned out to be pretty good.  They were a little crusty on the edges, which the men who ate the ribs were all down with.  There's a guy in the neighborhood that loves smoking his ribs like this he calls it 'turbo' smoke, he goes to near 350 degrees for two and half hrs and then does his finish (rarely foils).

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
Smoked 14# whole sirloin tip today... Outstanding.  A little chew required than the prime rib, uet still excellent.  

Now here is something i did today on the direction of a friend.  It was fantastic.  I mean really good.  Two ingredient bread in 25 minutes. 

Take a cup of ypur favorite ice cream.  I ised butter pecan because I had it.  3/4 cup of self rising flour.  Mix well.  350* for 20 minutes... Freakin outstanding.  It cooked up in the pizza oven and really really surprised me. Ots nowhere near as sweet as you'd think, but I wager it would be with the right ice cream.  Who'd have thunk it?  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Brisket turned out really freakin good. I'm telling y'all this smoker oven thing is the ticket.  Was a bit shocked how much was lost during the cook, though.. It started out 11# but I bet it only rendered 6 or 7.... Those things shrink quite a bit, huh?
Wow, just realized I missed a bunch of posts over the past month+.
Yeah, a full packer-trimmed brisket shrinks quite a bit.  All that fat renders, while the collagen turns to gelatin and shrinks a bit, too.   That's what makes it so perfect for a long cook.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
The ribs turned out to be pretty good.  They were a little crusty on the edges, which the men who ate the ribs were all down with.  There's a guy in the neighborhood that loves smoking his ribs like this he calls it 'turbo' smoke, he goes to near 350 degrees for two and half hrs and then does his finish (rarely foils).
I'm assuming pork spare ribs?  I still prefer to go 225 and use 3-2-1 (really a lot less than 1 typically, maybe .5 max).  
But for beef ribs and brisket, I'm smoking at 285-300 now.  Goes quicker, and no discernible loss in quality.

MarqHusker

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
I'm assuming pork spare ribs?  I still prefer to go 225 and use 3-2-1 (really a lot less than 1 typically, maybe .5 max).  
But for beef ribs and brisket, I'm smoking at 285-300 now.  Goes quicker, and no discernible loss in quality.

yes and I concur.   That would be my own standard procedure (225 and 3-2-1), and like you I've been going a lot less than 1.

WhiskeyM

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Beef ribs (short ribs, plate, in particular) are easily my favorite cut to cook.  They are absolutely delicious, and can be prepared a variet of ways.

Of course they are very popular now, and the price has shot up a good amount.  The same thing happened with skirt steak years ago.  I remember buying skirt for around $4 - 5$ per pound.  Now it fetches $8 - $10 per pound.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • All Star
  • Liked:
i had my first massive run-in with the ecoque this past weekend... it wasn't, per say, the ecoque's fault... but... 

brisket- a 14# packer, trimmed and purty... wood fire to temperature, flopped that bad bear in the cooker... I FOUGHT with that thing to maintain a temperature below 350*... for 18 hours that thing smoked... the internal temperature never exceeded 170*, which was me thinking it was just in the mother of all stalls.... but it wasn't.... the cooker was never over 190*... at 18 hours i pulled the thing with an internal temperature of 170*, and it was well blackened with the smoke... 

the temperature gauge for the cooker is a digital one- and it was just shy of 200* off, reading the cookers temp @ 350~370, when it was actually in the neighborhood of 190*... I found this out at the end when i opened the door and shot it with a IR temp gun on a non-reflective surface in there..... I was not a happy camper... 

punch line:  the brisket isn't bad at all- it's not what i would usually call 'brisket', as it was more akin to 'roast' in the end, with fat flopping about (never rendered/reduced).... so... i made a bunch of sammy's and went on about my business, and ordered a better quality temperature gauge... now I have them in triplicate... that ain't ever happening to me again, y'all. 

MarqHusker

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Good lesson learned.  I always keep a probe thermometer (w/ wire) inside the egg to keep the other two readings honest (the dome, and then another digital read I get on a wireless display, which allows me to stay away and not worry so damn much about the temp.

bwarbiany

• Starter
  • Liked:
Yeah, when I got my Kamado Joe, the dome thermometer was damn near perfect. Now it reads ~50F low. 

That reminds me, though... Need to replace my Maverick ET-732 probes before I smoke something again. Off to Amazon I go!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Beef ribs (short ribs, plate, in particular) are easily my favorite cut to cook.  They are absolutely delicious, and can be prepared a variet of ways.

Of course they are very popular now, and the price has shot up a good amount.  The same thing happened with skirt steak years ago.  I remember buying skirt for around $4 - 5$ per pound.  Now it fetches $8 - $10 per pound.
Wow, skirt steak is $8-$10 /lb for you?  It's still regularly down around $3-$5/lb down here, but I still agree with your point, because I can remember when it was $.79/lb.  I blame Chili's for making fajitas so popular it drove up the price on this otherwise humble cut of meat.

Please Support Site: