header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: You Know What I Hate....?

(Read 82646 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: You Know What I Hate....?
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2018, 02:55:09 PM »
I hate ties much more than any alternative
I believe in providing an opportunity for the tie to be broken.

I do not believe in forcing the tie to be broken.

If you don't want the tie, then win in 5 quarters.  Else kiss your sister and hush.

Or let's just flip a coin for the win.  Makes as much sense as inventing a new game.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:57:25 PM by BrownCounty »

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
I like the 5th quarter idea but it would lengthen the game too much and the teams might still be tied

The current method is fine but I think the teams should kick off and otherwise use the current rules

They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2018, 03:43:32 PM »
I like the 5th quarter idea but it would lengthen the game too much and the teams might still be tied

That essentially is the problem.  We want to break the tie, but we don't want to do it playing regular football because it would "lengthen the game too much".

Meanwhile, we're trying to determine which team is the best at regular football.

Just flip the coin.  If team A beats team B on the 3rd OT, does it really mean team A is better?  Pfffttt.  Just flip a damn coin.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2018, 03:47:53 PM »
I don't follow international sports, but are other countries so preoccupied with eliminating the "tie" as part of the game?  Maybe I should look up some standings in the eastern hemisphere.

This just smacks of pure shallow Americana instant gratification to me.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2018, 03:50:41 PM »
a coin flip is a new different game than regular football

settles nothing

if you don't want to kickoff and play an additional quarter or longer

at least move the ball back outside of FG range for the alternate possessions

place it at the 35 instead of the 25.  a 52 yard FG attempt is iffy for college kickers

moving it the the 40 would be better - that in itself would eliminate a few 3-3 ties in the first OT
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2018, 03:50:47 PM »
I actually like the OT process for college and HATE the NFL OT rules.  And I hate that NFL has different OT rules for the regular games than they do for playoff games.  That just doesn't makes sense at all to me.   Rules should be the same regardless of game importance, IMO. 

I didn't mind the longer game for the double overtime for the game in LA, actually made me feel like I got more than my money's worth.   

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2018, 03:51:52 PM »
This just smacks of pure shallow Americana instant gratification to me.
and what in the free world would be wrong with this?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2018, 03:56:14 PM »
I hate "sports" where judges determine winners.  Like skating, gymnastics, diving and even non-KO boxing.

And I think football has become dangerously close to that by overthinking simple things like catching, scoring, tackling, blocking and celebrating.

Keep head to head targeting outlawed but otherwise go back to 1983 rules.  If a person catches the ball with a foot in bounds, it's a catch.  If the ball comes loose, it's a fumble. 

If a game is televised, keep the clock running through television timeouts.  Keep the game short.   Keep the players fresh.  Then play as many quarters as you need to to break a tie.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2018, 04:37:53 PM »
Keep head to head targeting outlawed but otherwise go back to 1983 rules.
Why is it so hard to play football as it was intended?  A game of tackling.  Seriously pay attention the next time you watch a P5 or NFL game.  Do you see tackling or do you see flying projectiles?

And we wonder...duh... why do so may pwayers get huwt... duh....duh...

It's so easy to tell a tackle attempt from a collision attempt.  So why don't we flag it?  Because we like it right?  Meanwhile we're about to lose the game altogether.

You wanna see football as it was intended?  Go back to the leather helmet and nix the pads.  Then you'll see tackling.  Helmets and pads were designed for protection, not weapons of mass destruction.

DBs don't wanna tackle cuz it seems like work.  Plus they are likely not strong enough.  They just wanna collide in such a way that they win.

We could forget targeting and all that mess by simply enforcing a game of tackling.  Arms outstretched.  Any attempt to just blow up a runner should be a flag.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 04:41:17 PM by BrownCounty »

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »
I hate "sports" where judges determine winners.  Like skating, gymnastics, diving and even non-KO boxing.
Agreed.  Like when you watch the Olympics, it seems like you just get down to a few favorites in those heavily judged events, and no one else ever had a chance.  
I'm also not too fond of sports where coaches make the call whether you play or not, and at what position.  Team sports can be fun, but also a real drag if the coach plays favorites (and in my combined experience between myself as a kid and my son, I'd estimate that about half the coaches play favorites leaving only about 1 out of every 2 or so coaches giving everyone a chance to play and really earn their positions).  I've never been much of a kiss ass, and in fact am a bit of a contrarian which I guess is no news here - those tendencies did me no favors in terms of buttering up coaches like some of my teammates could do.   I still like playing team sports regardless, but feel a lot better about sports like cross country or tennis or wrestling where it's just you vs the other kid(s) and your own talent and hard work are the only things that determine whether you play and how you finish.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:00:09 PM by CousinFreddie »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
It's more of a porch topic I suppose, because over the years (decades...) we've had numerous discussions about what a "sport" really is.

And over the years (decades...) some of you have disagreed with me, but I have two simple criteria I use to determine what a "sport" is.

1) The outcome cannot be judged, it must have a clear, objectively determined winner and loser.  So gymnastics is not a sport.  Figure skating is not a sport.  And as Slick observed, non-KO boxing is not a sport.  They are certainly "athletic competitions" but they are not sports.

2) It requires being an athlete to play the sport.  I don't consider poker, darts, billiards, or bowling to be sports, nor do I consider golf to be a sport.  They are all competitions requiring very specific skills-- which in some cases many consider to be highly prized skills like golf-- but it's not a sport.

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2018, 02:55:43 PM »

I also hate constant speed moron.  

Let’s say you’re on a state highway that goes through little towns.   It’s 65 between the towns, 55 on the outskirts of town, 45 through town.

Constant speed moron drives 60 through every zone.  Consequently you pass him between every town but when you get to each town he passes you.
Oh yeah good one, constant speed drivers are indeed very annoying.
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
These constant speed drivers have obviously never gone through Giddings, Tx  or they would learn
not to do that

They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2018, 04:14:46 PM »
In my parts, its 75 between towns, 55 on the outskirt, and 35 thru town.

Which means all locals drive 60 - 40 - 20.

Seriously, if you drive the speed limit around here you'll get pulled over for being a smart ass.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.