College Football Fan Site Area 51 @CFB51; dead nuts accurate

One community smart about college football

Civil discussion, topics, and reading of both original and aggregated news.

Author Topic: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?  (Read 2866 times)

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »
That’s really cool that you got him those boots.  

I mainly turned on to cricket when I had an appendectomy and spent about a week plus in bed recovering at the same time the cricket World Cup was on.  I read up on the rules and then listened to the broadcasts of the games, and followed it play by play on my phone, just like I do baseball games.  And I was in correspondence with the roommate I mentioned throughout.  He had a running account of the cup on Facebook and so I stayed up with his blog and then took even a deeper dive on my own.

There’s an aspect to cricket that I really like, and that’s each player only gets one out per side.  So a really good player might make an out early on, and it changes the whole calculus of the match.  Puts a continual air of excitement into it, ie that every player is living on the knife edge of disaster, that really amps up the tension.  So the game is like a slow burn but yet the fire is still very hot.  

But you know I basically like any sport that includes a moving ball, just like my dear golden may she RIP.  So cricket qualifies, bigtime, for me.
Yup, I get that, and that's a good way to put it.  

Of course, modern cricket has been changed dramatically, and as I understand it the "major" version of the sport no longer has matches that last 1-2 weeks.  I have no doubt that's a good thing for modernizing it, but of course there's that nostalgic part of me that wouldn't mind rolling back pretty much EVERY sport a few decades.

I don't know why, but we're talking about our non-American friends and I feel compelled to mention this extremely sad footnote to my above story, perhaps as some sort of memorial or tribute to my truly dear friend Tom Kite, whom none of you knew or will ever know-- but honestly, I've known many of you longer than some of my "real life friends" and I feel a connection that I wouldn't ever want to change.

My dear friend Tom Kite died two years ago from his second bout with colon cancer.  He "beat" it the first time though he had major surgery that removed a section of his colon. He was okay for a couple years but then it resurfaced again, and this time he was less fortunate.  As far as I know he never did anything that would have put him at risk, though admittedly I don't really know the risk factors for colon cancer.  But he exercised regularly, ate well and didn't over-indulge in pretty much anything.  He was perfectly fit, until the cancer appeared in his colon.  I suppose there's a genetic predisposition,  I don't really know, and both his mother and father have survived him and were of course devastated.

I'm  a guy that went to a tough engineering school and a tough MBA grad program and has known plenty of brilliant people throughout my life.  I can say without question that Tom Kite is the smartest person I've ever known, and likely will ever know, and he was also kind and funny and ironic and amazing.  He was one year older than me, which means he was 44 when he died two years ago.  Ain't that a bitch?

I'm rambling now.  So I'll raise a toast to my friend Tom Kite, who never played golf in his life, but enjoyed a pint of English Bitter as much as I did.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:24:38 PM by utee94 »

Offline UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 08:28:27 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss, as well as all others that knew Tom Kite.  It seems the great ones are taken too soon, that's for sure, and his legacy remains through the memories that you and others shared with him.  Fuck Cancer. 

Offline Shiner

• Recruit
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 09:57:51 AM »
I agree that a 162 game season is a bit ridiculous.  There is no reason it should take that long or that many games to determine the best teams in each league.  The season could be cut in half and you'd be fine.  Of course, that would lead to fewer games...  which means longer breaks between games... which means your best pitchers are pitching more.... leading to less scoring.... etc.  And oh yeah, that ol' issue of far less revenue for owners.  So it won't ever happen.....

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
I agree that a 162 game season is a bit ridiculous.  There is no reason it should take that long or that many games to determine the best teams in each league.  The season could be cut in half and you'd be fine.  Of course, that would lead to fewer games...  which means longer breaks between games... which means your best pitchers are pitching more.... leading to less scoring.... etc.  And oh yeah, that ol' issue of far less revenue for owners.  So it won't ever happen.....
what if everyone had the same attitude about beer
I mean you can tell which beer you like with only one sip
why do ya need to drink the whole thing
baseball is to be enjoyed not tolerated
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss, as well as all others that knew Tom Kite.  It seems the great ones are taken too soon, that's for sure, and his legacy remains through the memories that you and others shared with him.  Fuck Cancer.

Im a little confused
Tom Kite the great golfer did not pass away
Tom Kite (golfer) did lose his wife to cancer but he is still alive
must be someone with same name
and Im sorry for your loss also
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Offline CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2017, 10:51:54 AM »
When I was a kid, I was almost exclusively a football fan.  College baseball was tolerable but the MLB took too long.  I could follow the Stros for a few weeks or maybe a month but then I'd lose interest for a while.   And it was kind of nice that way.  Like background noise you could tune in or tune out.

As I've gotten older, my circumstances and my tastes have changed.  Things have changed too.

Football used to be cut and dried.  Hits were hits, tackles were tackles, fumbles were fumbles, catches were catches.   Now everything is so dissected and over-analyzed it actually seems to be driven by the refs interpretation of each event.

Not as much fun as it used to be.

And yet my kids have been playing for the last 15 years so I've almost had my fill.

But baseball is a nice change of pace, lovely and lyrical.  I've started hitting H-town in April to get the first taste of sports after March Madness and I've started playing fantasy baseball so I have a vested interest in following the success of players throughout the league.   Games are fun.  The history is amazing.   Hell, they've been keeping records since the Civil War and the Stros are breaking some of them this year.   

It's amazing!  I love it.  

I just had to grow into it.

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:15 PM »
Im a little confused
Tom Kite the great golfer did not pass away
Tom Kite (golfer) did lose his wife to cancer but he is still alive
must be someone with same name
and Im sorry for your loss also
Yes, you are confused.  I'm talking about a different person with the same name.  Moose out front should have told you. :)

And, thanks.

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
I'm a big fan of college baseball.  I just don't care much for the MLB version.

Of course, I've been to plenty of MLB games live, and that's enjoyable to me.  

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2017, 03:14:57 PM »
baseball is a beautiful game with many situations based on timing

some folks simply do not appreciate it

but, that's OK, some folks like myself, just don't appreciate a beautiful movie plot 
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
I prefer college baseball to MLB, but MLB hasn't warped into something horrid like NBA basketball

MLB is still watchable - especially the playoffs or the world serious
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 05:58:03 PM »
I'm also sorry for your loss Utee.  It's very hard to lose such a good friend, and that was a very nice tribute to him that you posted.

And also ditto what Erin said.

My sincere condolences

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
But baseball is a nice change of pace, lovely and lyrical.  I've started hitting H-town in April to get the first taste of sports after March Madness and I've started playing fantasy baseball so I have a vested interest in following the success of players throughout the league.   Games are fun.  The history is amazing.   Hell, they've been keeping records since the Civil War and the Stros are breaking some of them this year.  

It's amazing!  I love it.  

I just had to grow into it.
  :great:

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2017, 12:58:23 AM »
I'm also sorry for your loss Utee.  It's very hard to lose such a good friend, and that was a very nice tribute to him that you posted.

And also ditto what Erin said.

My sincere condolences

Thanks Cuz, and to Erin for earlier.  I was feeling a bit melancholy last night.  Might have had something to do with the bottle (plus) of Bordeaux I drank.  Man I do love a good Bordeaux.

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2017, 08:50:14 AM »
How bout them Astros

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2017, 09:28:23 AM »
the Stros bull pen was pretty solid last night

Offline UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2017, 10:20:39 AM »
We're about to all have heart attacks down here. JUST NEED 1 MORE WIN!! 

Now excuse me while I hook up my coffee-IV-drip... 

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2017, 12:01:04 PM »
What an incredible game that was yesterday.  Conventional wisdom says "good pitching beats good hitting" in the postseason, yet Game 5 turned that completely on its head.  Here on the east coast, Bregman's walk off single happened deep into the night, and I had to get up early, but nevertheless I was hanging on every pitch right up until he broke through.

Congrats to Astros fans for this thing going at least 7.  That's huge already.  As for winning the whole thing, seems tomorrow's game is everything.  I would call it an elimination game for both teams, because it would be really tough to win an away game at Dodgers stadium after having just lost game 6 with Houston's new ace on the mound.

I have no idea why I've become such a Stros fan this post-season.  They were a serious rival to my beloved Redbirds back in the 2000's and there was no love lost then, although of course I really liked a lot of Astros players - the Killer B's and particularly Lance Berkman, who later joined the Cards and played a pivotal role in St Louis winning that crazy Game 6 and the series over Texas. 

I was ambivalent about recent WS.  Last year I was just cheering against the Cubs, not really for Cleveland.  KC - I don't really care about them, one way or another.  Was tired of seeing SF win.  So, I'd have to go back to the 2013 WS with Cards and Sox to find a series where I really truly cared about the outcome. 

Guess Houston has just kind of grown on me over the years.  And it does go back.  I remember attending a Cards-Astros game in the Astrodome back in 1975, and thinking that it was SO cool to be inside a domed, air conditioned stadium like that.  And one of my uncles and his family had defected from Oklahoma to the Houston area back in the early 70s, and so we were visiting them when we went to that game.  They are all of course major Astros fans, even to this day.  So, I guess it's kind of a cousin thing ... it's like the Astros are baseball cousins.

And presently, I really like the team, particularly Jose Altuve.  If I could choose one player to have on my team, it's him.  And in fact I did - he was my first pick in my fantasy league draft last spring, and I'll try for him again next spring.  He does it all, and has a great attitude. 

Go Stros!  Get the series win!

Offline CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
I'm really glad to hear the games are entertaining to an objective outsider because this WS is blowing my mind but I suspect my Astros fandom may cloud my impartiality.

I'll say this about the Stros...

What other team in MLB could be arbitrary plucked from one league after 40 years and tossed into the other without baseball fans everywhere screaming bloody murder.

Hence, the poor Stros are clearly the Rodney Dangerfield of professional sports.  They get NO respect... generally... though they're earning some now.

And while many respected the Bagwell Biggio teams I could never stomach the brick and black.

What kind of franchise has so little pride it would change its colors?!!!!

Now we're back to the orange and the blue and we're winning.  It's good.

I'd love to see the rainbow throwbacks.

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
If we win the WS we can boast that we beat Boston, New York and LA to do it

Thats a pretty tall accomplishment 

win the ws or not Im proud of the Astros

Online MikeDeTiger

• Global Moderator
  • Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2017, 01:44:29 PM »
Ya know, I really wish Bregman could've played in Omaha as well as he's played for Houston this WS.  

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »
Ya know, I really wish Bregman could've played in Omaha as well as he's played for Houston this WS.  
just a matter of priorities 

Offline CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2017, 03:24:13 PM »
Semantics

Offline CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
I'd like to say a few words about the Dodgers.

I'm for the Astros and I hope they win and the Dodgers carry the baggage of a celebrity bandwagon and the hyperbolic west coast sports media which are both deplorable but... give them credit.

They are a hell of team and they are doing their part to make this World Series unforgettable.  They're just about as scrappy and tenacious as the Astros.   Watching the two teams go back and forth is a joy.

It's... it's... it's... delightful!

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
is it ravishingly delightful

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2017, 10:48:16 AM »
word

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »
dern delightful stuff

Offline CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2017, 02:45:09 PM »
Do any of you remember the 1970s 7-Up commercials staring the baritone-voiced Geoffrey Holder (who played Baron Samedi in "Live and Let Die) saying, "Ahhhhh... it's DE-licious!  It's De-lightful.  It's the uncola!  Ha ha ha ha!"

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »
I'm down right delighted at I'm old enough to remember those commercials!

Offline CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »
He was like Shabba Ranks before Shabba Ranks was Shabba Ranks.

Online MikeDeTiger

• Global Moderator
  • Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2017, 06:08:04 PM »
Semantics
Oof. You are correct.  I wish Bregman would've played as well in Omaha as he's played for Houston this World Series.  "Could've" does imply that he didn't play there.  

Welcome, Guest!!! Please login or register.

From Our Publisher:
Pigskin in Tiers
From Our Sponsor:
Please click a link here if you shop for anything on Amazon- no extra cost to you!!!
From Our Gift Shop:
CFB51 Goofy T-Shirt CFB51 Cap CFB51 Jacket CFB51 Polo