College Football Fan Site Area 51 @CFB51; dead nuts accurate

One community smart about college football

Civil discussion, topics, and reading of both original and aggregated news.

Author Topic: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
Re: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 07:55:33 AM »
Game 2, an instant classic.

Congrats to the Stros for evening this thing up and claiming home field advantage.  Good luck Friday night!

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
I love it when you type the post of your life and then this forum decides you're not logged in when you hit post.

After giving you the reply screen.

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
So anyway it's Astros vs. the establishment now.  Or at least that is the strawman I have built.

When Altuve and Correra back-to-back homered, I had never heard such somber and emotionless sportscasting in my life.  Then when the Dodgers tied it, Joe Buck and his boy were ecstatically creaming all over each other in the broadcast booth.  I was so pissed I turned it off.

My wife told me the Astros pulled it out this morning.  Eat me, Joe Buck.

Offline Shiner

• Recruit
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »
So anyway it's Astros vs. the establishment now.  Or at least that is the strawman I have built.

When Altuve and Correra back-to-back homered, I had never heard such somber and emotionless sportscasting in my life.  Then when the Dodgers tied it, Joe Buck and his boy were ecstatically creaming all over each other in the broadcast booth.  I was so pissed I turned it off.

My wife told me the Astros pulled it out this morning.  Eat me, Joe Buck.
Interesting.... that sounds a lot like broadcasts of horn games.  Just insert the horns for Dodgers in your example.  

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
Interesting.... that sounds a lot like broadcasts of horn games.  Just insert the horns for Dodgers in your example.  
Ya get what you pay for
We hire the best
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
Interesting.... that sounds a lot like broadcasts of horn games.  Just insert the horns for Dodgers in your example.  
It occurred to me as I was typing that, I sound like Aggy.
But in my case it's probably a response to an actual bias, as opposed to standard protocol.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:21:55 AM by BrownCounty »

Online MikeDeTiger

• Global Moderator
  • Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
DirecTV lost Fox in my market, so in addition to any Saints games I might want to watch (very few, but I do like Drew Brees), I don't have the World Series.  So I can't comment on Joe Buck, other than to say if he's calling these games like everything else I've heard him call, he's probably got a favorite and it probably shows.  And it is annoying.  

My gf told me Bregman's done well, including a homer in g1 and some nifty fielding in the 11th inning to preserve the lead.  So good for him and good for Houston fans.  

I saw the 4 billboards LSU put up in the Houston area with Bregman and Harris that say "Geaux Streauxs," and while neat, it makes me wonder if they're really just wishing former players well or if they're trying to bolster presence in a city in response to Tom Herman's recruiting prowess.  

Fred, I'll find that recipe, it's going to be a few days though.  

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »
I saw the 4 billboards LSU put up in the Houston area
This is all Aggy's fault.

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
I can't imagine turning off an exciting WS game just because the announcers seem biased.  Announcers always seem to be biased, and usually in favor of teams from big media market areas, such as LA and NY.  So, F' em.  I'll still watch the game.  Of course sometimes I turn down the sound.

Actually, what's good about the At Bat (MLB) app is that you can listen to the broadcasters from each team.  So, this series I've been listening to the Astros broadcasters, who are I think are a lot better than the LA ones, at least now that Vin Scully has retired.  Most teams have pretty good announcers, and they are ALWAYS biased in favor of their own teams.  It's fun to flip back and forth between announcers when there's a review of a play going on.  If it's basically too close to call, each team's side will call it in favor of their own team.  Kinda fun.

Go Stros!

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 12:40:33 PM »
I can't imagine turning off an exciting WS game just because the announcers seem biased.
It's another personal quirk I have.  I hate extra innings.  I will watch the 10th inning - if it's not settled in ten I'm done.  Call the game on #hits if not settled in ten innings.  I'm serious.
But I had to get up at 5am anyway.

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »
Fred, I'll find that recipe, it's going to be a few days though.  
Thanks man.  No hurry, of course.

Offline Shiner

• Recruit
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
It occurred to me as I was typing that, I sound like Aggy.
But in my case it's probably a response to an actual bias, as opposed to standard protocol.
Everyone's gotta have standards...  
And call a game based on hits?  Akin to calling a football game based on first downs?
Guess I shouldn't be surprised a Big XIIer favors an offensive stat to decide outcomes.  

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2017, 02:46:53 PM »
Everyone's gotta have standards...  
And call a game based on hits?  Akin to calling a football game based on first downs?
Guess I shouldn't be surprised a Big XIIer favors an offensive stat to decide outcomes.  
Not this Big XIIer.  I've always liked the open-ended nature of baseball, with no clock or other artifice involved.  Theoretically, a game could go on forever, which was a component of the plot underpinning a fabulous Kinsella book called the Iowa Baseball Confederacy.

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2017, 02:48:16 PM »
If you like games that go on forever, you should watch cricket. :)

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »
And call a game based on hits?  Akin to calling a football game based on first downs?
I still support this.  Play 9 innings.  If necessary play the 10th.  After that, the game should be decided on hits, runners to reach third, LOB, or some such fiddle faddle.

4-1/2 hour baseball games are only a wee bit less excruciating than root canals.  The flu is better because it's cool when your fever breaks.  The fan wants to know when the damn thing will be over.  This way, you know what's coming down.

Offensive stats are typically the inverse of defensive stats.  You wanna call the game based on strikeouts?  Offense is where points (or potential points come from).

It's better than inventing an entirely new game, which is what's done in college football.  The only thing the NFL has over college.  In the NFL, they play the same game in OT.  Not a soccer shootout.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 02:57:01 PM by BrownCounty »

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
If you like games that go on forever, you should watch cricket. :)
I like cricket.  My Pakistani roommate in grad school hooked me into that. Would love to go to a match sometime in a cricket oriented country, even if it lasted a week!

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »
I've always liked the open-ended nature of baseball, with no clock or other artifice involved.  Theoretically, a game could go on forever,
This is only since you've been retired, yes?  Some of us have to get out of bed the next day.

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »
And furthermore, baseball burns itself out.

Watching baseball is refreshing if you haven't done it in a while.  But given each team plays 162 games, you have to create your own reprieve.

But even after about the 7th inning, the interest can wane if the game is not exciting.

Watching baseball is like listening to a Led Zeppelin album.  It's refreshing for a while, but by the last song you're ready for something else.

Any baseball game that drags past 10 innings is just brutal.  And one day I realized, this is baseball's choice, not my choice.  And voila!  The remote control came to my rescue.

Online CharleyHorse46

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
BC, ya know you don't gotta listen to the announcers. 

My brother taught me that around 1974.  Put on a game, turn down the volume and play The Guess Who or Steppenwolf.

'Course nowadays my tastes are a bit more eclectic that they were in the '70s when we had to listen to hard rock, lest we be labeled a square and miss out on somebody sharing a little some some.  

Last night while watching I listened to some Steve Miller, Steely Dan, Herb Alpert, Sade, George Benson and Johann Sebastian Bach.

As for extra innings, I was like "Yessssss.  All your pitcher belong to us"

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »
I'm not retired, and it's a bit doubtful that I'll ever retire as I kind of like what I do, and I always have a ballgame going in the background while I work, except during those 4 months of annual darkness known as the MLB off-season.

Baseball for me is never ever boring, and can go on forever.  I don't know what form of musical genre I'd compare it to, but Zeppelin is definitely not something that comes to mind - too much bass, not enough ball. 

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 03:50:24 PM »
My favorite genre these days is Andean - Uña Ramos, Gustavo Santaolalla, etc.  I'm not really sure whether Andean goes with baseball either, but I'm an eclectic sort too and so it works for me at least.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:53:28 PM by CousinFreddie »

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 03:56:19 PM »
As for extra innings, I was like "Yessssss.  All your pitcher belong to us"
Heh, yeah.  When they got to Jansen with the Gonzalez dinger it was like ... so now whatcha gonna do, cute lil baby boys in blue??

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 04:22:17 PM »
I kinda like listening to bias announcers

its very entertaining to me to listen to them when your team is kicking butt

and whats up with the dodgers wolfman

he may be a good player but lord does he look silly

kinda fits right in with LA
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 04:55:07 PM »
and whats up with the dodgers wolfman
I quit asking about athlete's appearances long ago.  These aren't your guys on the Wheaties box anymore.  They all look like Cheech & Chong or Rick James.

But hey, even Bruce Jenner was on a Wheaties box, so who knows.

Online longhorn320

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 05:00:25 PM »
and another thing

why does almost every pitcher now have a long beard

looks like General Jeb Stuart is on the mound

Online UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 05:40:11 PM »
So glad they are coming back to Houston for this weekend's games. 
GO ASTROS!  

Online BrownCounty

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 05:42:25 PM »
Not gay but long beards are nasty.  Nice, tight 5 o'clock shadows are fine, but how did scraggly crap ever fall into the chicks dig it category?

And another thing.  Black rims.  How did this ever catch on?  At least paint your tires white or something.  Black rims, Black tires.  From a distance, just looks like your hubcaps were stolen.  And you paid $2000 for that?

Online utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 05:50:46 PM »
I like cricket.  My Pakistani roommate in grad school hooked me into that. Would love to go to a match sometime in a cricket oriented country, even if it lasted a week!
One of my TAs in undergrad, who became one of my best friends, was a Brit who attempted to introduce me to cricket.

I tried to get into it, really I did.  After a while he admitted to me that he liked baseball much better.  So we went to a lot of UT baseball games together.  He also grew to love American football, and country music.  For his graduation with his PhD in Acoustical Engineering from UT, I gave him a pair of really nice Tony Lama boots.  He didn't want to accept them and thought they were far too expensive.  He'd been a masters/doctoral student all those years scrimping by, but by then I'd spent a couple years in the workforce, and I told him I could afford it and he deserved it.  After all, he'd been one of my letters of recommendation for landing that job in the first place.  And he wore those boots pretty much every day from then on.

In an unrelated tangent, his name was Tom Kite, and he had his number listed in the Austin phone book.  People would call him and ask if he were really Tom Kite.  He'd answer in his perfect Oxford English accent, "Why yes, I am Tom Kite, how may I help you?"  I told him he should unlist his number, but I think he really got a kick out of it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:54:50 PM by utee94 »

Offline CousinFreddie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »
That’s really cool that you got him those boots.  

I mainly turned on to cricket when I had an appendectomy and spent about a week plus in bed recovering at the same time the cricket World Cup was on.  I read up on the rules and then listened to the broadcasts of the games, and followed it play by play on my phone, just like I do baseball games.  And I was in correspondence with the roommate I mentioned throughout.  He had a running account of the cup on Facebook and so I stayed up with his blog and then took even a deeper dive on my own.

There’s an aspect to cricket that I really like, and that’s each player only gets one out per side.  So a really good player might make an out early on, and it changes the whole calculus of the match.  Puts a continual air of excitement into it, ie that every player is living on the knife edge of disaster, that really amps up the tension.  So the game is like a slow burn but yet the fire is still very hot.  

But you know I basically like any sport that includes a moving ball, just like my dear golden may she RIP.  So cricket qualifies, bigtime, for me.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:34:08 PM by CousinFreddie »

Online FearlessF

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2017, 09:38:52 PM »
I often turn down the volume, but rarely turn off a good game

13 or 14 innings is much better than a blow-out that's over in the 5th inning

luv that Dodgers bullpen!
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Support the Site:
Please Search Amazon from here! No cost to you yet covers some of our expenses!