header pic

Author

Topic: Hyperlinks -- underline them for the color-impaired?

(Read 5108 times)

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Hyperlinks -- underline them for the color-impaired?
« on: July 12, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
Hey, I'm colorblind... It always made me wonder what people were talking about when they said red was a "bright" color. My eyes simply don't pick up the red very well, so for me it's actually a dark color.

So when I see a dark red hyperlink interspersed in a block of black text, it doesn't even stand out enough for me to know it's a hyperlink.

Can we perhaps underline hyperlinks, or maybe give them a color that is much more of a contrast?

I know underlined hyperlinks are now frowned upon by the "web design" gurus, but at least the old board would do text in black and hyperlinks were bold blue type.

But I need something to change for my defective eyes!

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Hyperlinks -- underline them for the color-impaired?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:07:27 PM »
easy enough....

^that's in green font.

SNAP!!!!  just goofin' man.  I got you covered.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »
done.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:25:51 PM »
i went ahead and did it cross-platform, too... mobile.. tablet..

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 12:20:16 PM »
Great, many thanks!

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 10:01:43 AM »
Maybe I just don't know how to do it, but is there a way to add a link where the link is in text? 

I didn't explain that very well.  I'll try again.  In another thread I quoted some history from the B1G Media guide and I wanted to be able to leave a link to the B1G Media guide.  On the old board I would simply have created the link such that "B1G Media Guide" was a link.  I couldn't figure out how to do that here. 

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »
if'n you were to paste (or type) a full link here, it ought to translate to a hyperlink autonamtically. autermati.... automatically... dammit....

that would require the http:// part too... such as http://www.cfb51.com , which just automatically turned to a link. I don't think it's required, but notice the space between the address and the comma in the link above... it's a good practice to do that and it maybe the magic element that allows the browser to discern where the link starts (http) and when it ends (the space).

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »
I was going to explain how to do it, but then I just noticed something...

If you look at the second line above the "reply" window, you'll see ALL the way on the right a mouse cursor inside brackets. If you mouse-over that, it will say that it means "Toggle View".

It seems that toggles a view between a rich-text editor and a more HTML-style editor. If you go to the rich-text editor, and you highlight text, click the "Insert Hyperlink" button, it'll allow you to make that text into a link.

If you don't and you highlight text and hit that button, it will put a "url" in brackets at the beginning of your text and a "/url" in brackets at the end of your text. If you manually change that to "url=http://www.hyperlink.com" inside those brackets, it will make the text within the brackets link to whatever you put after the "url="...

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
Thank you both, I'll try it. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.