CFB51 College Football Fan Community

The Power Four => Big Ten => Topic started by: MarqHusker on October 04, 2026, 03:47:20 PM

Title: Reflections from a Doubleheader
Post by: MarqHusker on October 04, 2026, 03:47:20 PM
As always in honor and tribute to the one and only Gatorama who enriched many of us with his unmatched love for college football

I long ago started venturing into attending non Nebraska college football games in part following the firing of Solich in '03 and in part a desire to see the game and soak up all of its au jus.

This weekend installment presented a unique chance to do a same day double header thanks to the 'Noon Game Gods' and scheduling which lined up for us.

Our base was Greenville SC which is a great town on its own with a lot of cool places, notably Vault and Vator, outstanding cocktail lounge.  Fun rooftops in the city as well.

We were warned that we would get soaked all weekend,  but other than a quick shower during our morning in Athens GA, which to me remains my favorite college town, it held off.  Vandy at UGA was the sec network 1245 game and coupled with the expected heavy storms, there were a fair amount of no shows.  Also explains how we paid 50 bucks for quality seats.  It was a humid sultry day.  Crowd was pretty lethargic as to be expected. Not quite as rowdy as the AU v UGA game i went to years ago.

Vandy QB is a talented freshman.  We bailed a drive or two into Q4 once game was out of reach and made the 80 min ride back to Clemson.  This was the game we planned to attend, the three guys I went w had never been.  I was lucky to see the Louisville LJ vs D.Watson thriller about ten years earlier. 

Clemson is a very pretty campus and just a fabulous atmosphere.  I will say. I was impressed w the Miami fan turnout.  Ive seen the Canes before and they are normally much smaller numbers.  We hung out w a group at a tailgate.  The one guy was very self aware of their general reputation.  His whole family were alums.  He rarely attends home games anymore given the dolphins stadium situation, nobody likes it except for the small % that are nearby.    Meanwhile the Clemson fans delivered on being properly fired up and loud through out most of the game until Clemson was turned away on 4th down again down 17-6.  Clearly outmatched by the Canes, Clemson has reached a crossroads with fans. 

Some near us were loyal to Dabo no matter what.  Many want him badly to leave if he doesn't get with the times,'  lot of volatility with the fan base.

Anyways, go to other games.  Its so much fun the places you see the people you meet.  It was fantastic having another chance to do a DH.  Ive done many Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Saturday.  Its tough to find same day DH that work.  Ive done many MLB doubles (Chi + Milwaukee) First college  one i did was 30 years ago in Norman and Stillwater.  Will hit a Harvard game in a few weeks.

Title: Re: Reflections from a Doubleheader
Post by: 847badgerfan on October 05, 2026, 07:49:48 AM
^^^

This is so f'ing great!
Title: Re: Reflections from a Doubleheader
Post by: utee94 on October 05, 2026, 11:47:01 AM
Thanks for the write-up, I think gatorama is smiling down on you and delighted you've continued the legacy.
Title: Re: Reflections from a Doubleheader
Post by: MikeDeTiger on October 05, 2026, 01:06:31 PM
Anyways, go to other games.  Its so much fun the places you see the people you meet.  

When I first lived in Austin, I'd go to Longhorn games either in regular clothes or with a borrowed Texas shirt.  Probably my second year there, I decided to wear my usual LSU gameday gear.  I figured it might confuse the locals and be worth a laugh.  Well, it frequently did, but I started having a lot more people come up to talk to me, and it made for a much more interesting experience.

I was less averse to being around a lot of people and talking to them, back then.