CFB51 College Football Fan Community
The Power Four => Big Ten => Topic started by: SFBadger96 on October 03, 2026, 11:31:05 AM
-
@LetsGoPeay (https://www.cfb51.com/index.php?action=profile;u=7) (probably no one else here will much care about this post, but...what is an old internet message board if not a little self indulgent?)
Clarksville is the home of Austin Peay State University famous (?) for Olympian Wilma Rudolph. It is about an hour north of Nashville, right on the border with Kentucky. I lived there for two years while stationed at Fort Campbell, which is technically in Kentucky because that's where the front gate is, but most of the post is in Tennessee.
A few weeks back, we were talking about the tornado that ripped through there in 1999, when I lived there.
(https://i.imgur.com/89IDfAV.png)
Last night I got out my old photo album and found the photos I was looking for (these are pictures of pictures--and gloss pictures at that--so not the greatest quality.
This is the UMC church after the tornado and after a light snow. When it snowed, I remember the southerners referring to the "Yankee White Stuff" that was falling. It didn't snow often, but a couple of times each winter I was there.
(https://i.imgur.com/Zur5IdQ.jpeg)
I also said I had before and after photos of this church, but I had forgotten how I took those photos. The reason I had the first one was I thought I had a cool reflection to capture. The second, I went back to capture the damage. They aren't perfect before and afters (ah, the days of shooting film and wondering what you actually captured...), but you can see the arches above the church windows, and in the second, the peaked roof is completely torn off.
(https://i.imgur.com/jnVzWyh.jpeg)(https://i.imgur.com/vDjGFQx.jpeg)
I liked living in Clarksville, and I was dabbling in photograpy at the time. I've always loved bridges, so I took a lot of pictures of the old train bridge over the Cumberland river:
(https://i.imgur.com/Zt3rV9w.jpeg)(https://i.imgur.com/GzeO6AN.jpeg)
(https://i.imgur.com/nlS32HU.jpeg)(https://i.imgur.com/etXi78O.jpeg)(https://i.imgur.com/KpblEXV.jpeg)
-
It’s funny to me that when I think of “northern” southern states like TN I picture it snowing all the time.
And in fact, considering that it snowed there several times a year when you were there I think right.
It almost used to never snow here in SE Texas, but we’ve had 3-4 snow events over the last 25 years that makes it less unusual.
-
Heh: “northern states”
:)
-
You tell a Tennessean that he lives in a Northern state and you're gonna open a can on yourself...