CFB51 College Football Fan Community
The Power Four => Big Ten => Topic started by: MaximumSam on October 01, 2026, 09:01:04 PM
-
Throwing it up a little early because we are flying to Chicago in the morning for a little weekend away from the kids. I've been playing Mewgenics a bit and Northwestern opens their new stadium tomorrow night against the Nits. I've floated the idea of going to the game, not sure the wife would be about that life.
Won't make the Westerville North game, though they have beaten both other Westerville teams and are now Kings of Westerville. At 4-2 they are ranked 8th in their region and should make the playoffs.
Anyways, good luck to everyone but Iowa, and let me know your Chicago recs. We are staying in the loop and won't have a car, but open to everything. Going on a Prohibition Tour on Saturday, which as far as I can tell is just going to a bunch of bars to drink and learn about the mob.
Schedule
- FRIDAY, PSU at Northwestern, 8 pm, FOX
- Noon, Michigan at Minny, FOX
- 12:30 pm, MSU at Wiscy, BTN
- 3:30, #5 OSU at #14 Iowa, CBS
- 4 pm, Maryland at Nebraska, FS1
- 4:15 pm, Purdue at Illinois, BTN
- 7:30, Washington at #18 USC, NBC
- 8 pm, #6 Indiana at Rutgers, BTN
Others
- 12 pm, #3 ND at North Carolina, ESPN
- 12 pm, #7 Alabama at #16 Miss St., ABC
- 3:30, #8 Florida at #25 Mizzou, ABC
- 7:30, #4 Miami at Clemson, ABC
-
I'll be surprised if Florida wins. They've had more smoke blown up their asses than Mt. Tambora produced in 1815.
I hope I'm wrong.
-
Mizzou - impressive???? still ranked?
(https://i.imgur.com/NxlTj6E.png)
-
The wife was more receptive to football than I thought, so we will be in the stands for NW v. PSU
-
Kudos on the Molesterville sweep.
-
Kudos on the Molesterville sweep.
That feels like PSU v. Michigan
-
The wife was more receptive to football than I thought, so we will be in the stands for NW v. PSU
Get a hot dog at Mustard's Last Stand, next to the stadium. Train station circled below.
(https://i.imgur.com/3l9daCE.png)
Take the red line then purple line to the stadium and back. It's cheap and easy.
(https://i.imgur.com/YfPtF3A.png)
Those tickets could not have been cheap. First game in the new digs. Go Cats!
Tell me exactly where you are staying and I can make some recommendations.
-
Heading to Clenson. Its gonna be wet in the SE this weekend
-
hopefully, not as wet as Lincoln, NE was a couple days ago
-
Get a hot dog at Mustard's Last Stand, next to the stadium. Train station circled below.
(https://i.imgur.com/3l9daCE.png)
Take the red line then purple line to the stadium and back. It's cheap and easy.
(https://i.imgur.com/YfPtF3A.png)
Those tickets could not have been cheap. First game in the new digs. Go Cats!
Tell me exactly where you are staying and I can make some recommendations.
Kimpton. Kimptons?
-
Would it make sense to stop at Wrigleyville or other places along the way. Haven't been to Chicago in twenty years.
-
I wouldn't bother with Wiggly. The Kubbs are done and the neighborhood is in mourning.
Which Kimpton? There are many.
Give be some cross streets.
How long you gonna be there?
I highly recommend this. It's a cab ride for you. Go early (seriously).
Twin Anchors Restaurant & Tavern - Chicago (https://www.twinanchorsribs.com/)
-
I wouldn't bother with Wiggly. The Kubbs are done and the neighborhood is in mourning.
Which Kimpton? There are many.
Give be some cross streets.
How long you gonna be there?
I highly recommend this. It's a cab ride for you. Go early (seriously).
Twin Anchors Restaurant & Tavern - Chicago (https://www.twinanchorsribs.com/)
Kimpton Gray...on Monroe Street. Staying until Sunday evening
-
Kimpton Gray...on Monroe Street. Staying until Sunday evening
That's the financial district.
I'd venture out to the Fulton Market neighborhood and hang there. Cool vibes, pretty safe at night (unlike River North) and great restaurants.
You can hit Twin Anchors on Sunday for lunch. Get there 30 minutes prior to open.
Oh, and just an FYI
Game Watch Bars – The Ohio State Alumni Club of Chicago (https://www.chicagobuckeyes.org/chicago-buckeye-bars/)
-
That's the financial district.
I'd venture out to the Fulton Market neighborhood and hang there. Cool vibes, pretty safe at night (unlike River North) and great restaurants.
You can hit Twin Anchors on Sunday for lunch. Get there 30 minutes prior to open.
Oh, and just an FYI
Game Watch Bars – The Ohio State Alumni Club of Chicago (https://www.chicagobuckeyes.org/chicago-buckeye-bars/)
Thanks! I know tomorrow we are taking a tour of bars that's about prohibition. Should be well lubricated for the Buckeyes.
Also, after the game tonight, where should we go?
-
Also, I know that both Badge and I'd favorite Chicago deep dish pizza is Lou Malnati's. There's one at 8th and State and in the Wrigley building on Michigan Avenue, just north of the Chicago River.
Have fun tonight!
-
Not a fan of deep dish TBH.
-
Gophers like to poke you
-
Thanks! I know tomorrow we are taking a tour of bars that's about prohibition. Should be well lubricated for the Buckeyes.
Also, after the game tonight, where should we go?
It will be a little late. Unless things changed, the financial district kinda goes to sleep at night.
You could get off the red line at Chicago and hit the Gold Coast bars. There is a Greek joint by the L stop at Chicago that is open late. It's good. We've been to a different location but not this one.
-
I endorse Badge's recc on Fulton Market as being an easy button move for Chicago right now.
Get out of Fin District, sleepy is understatement. I buzz through there for quarterly board meetings and it is just not a place for fun
-
If you want another tour, the architectural tours via boat on the Chicago River are a good time. Chicago is a fascinating architectural city. If you like wine [and the weather is OK], City Winery right on the Riverwalk is a good time. I know they close during the winter, but I assume they'd still be open now.
I normally would have said Lou Malnati's. It seemed every time I've ever been to Pizzeria Uno, it was worse than the previous time. Over several decades... Until the last time I was there. July 2025 it seemed to have captured what I remember about Pizzeria Uno.
Generally I'm with Badge that I'd prefer Chicago thin crust, but I still eat deep dish when I'm in Chicago since I'm basically there once or twice a decade at this point.
If you want really good Greek food, head out to Greektown. Take the blue line to Halsted and walk a couple blocks north to Greek Islands (https://greekislands.net/).
-
Gonna be at the golf course tomorrow at a
boondoggle charity scramble during the Purdue/Illinois game and can't watch it.
Oh, darn.
-
that'll make you happy tomorrow
I turned down golf tomorrow to watch Huskers/Terps
turned down an end of season 5-man scramble Sunday to spend time with the daughter that is visiting from Minneapolis
-
If you want another tour, the architectural tours via boat on the Chicago River are a good time. Chicago is a fascinating architectural city. If you like wine [and the weather is OK], City Winery right on the Riverwalk is a good time. I know they close during the winter, but I assume they'd still be open now.
I normally would have said Lou Malnati's. It seemed every time I've ever been to Pizzeria Uno, it was worse than the previous time. Over several decades... Until the last time I was there. July 2025 it seemed to have captured what I remember about Pizzeria Uno.
Generally I'm with Badge that I'd prefer Chicago thin crust, but I still eat deep dish when I'm in Chicago since I'm basically there once or twice a decade at this point.
If you want really good Greek food, head out to Greektown. Take the blue line to Halsted and walk a couple blocks north to Greek Islands (https://greekislands.net/).
I was going to recommend that too, but he doesn't have much time with going to the game. Greek Town on a Friday is a lot of fun.
One of my captain buddies works the river architectural tour. I think they are done for the season now, with daily tours. They do a few times per week now until Spring. Note, these tours have gotten really expensive - like $200/person expensive. Plus drinks.
-
guessing the drinks are NOT cheap
-
The wife was more receptive to football than I thought, so we will be in the stands for NW v. PSU
i was gonna make a quip about choosing a bigger/better game to go to for your wife (something stupid like elmhurst game) and saw there is a midwestern university basically right beside northwestern. brought up 2 questions in my feeble mind:
1 - is northwestern, being a university in the midwest, named that because midwestern uni was already taken and basically in same location?
2 - is there a southwestern and eastwestern university in cook county as well? or just western, or central western? westwestern?
-
i was gonna make a quip about choosing a bigger/better game to go to for your wife (something stupid like elmhurst game) and saw there is a midwestern university basically right beside northwestern. brought up 2 questions in my feeble mind:
1 - is northwestern, being a university in the midwest, named that because midwestern uni was already taken and basically in same location?
2 - is there a southwestern and eastwestern university in cook county as well? or just western, or central western? westwestern?
When Northwestern was founded, it was in the Northwest Territory.
It's kinda like in the Michigan fight song, where they self-proclaim to be the "Champions of the West".
(https://i.imgur.com/CXJPlpf.png)
-
Apparently it's named after the Northwest Territory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Territory).
The US has always been east-centric. Pretty sure everyone there thinks of anything west of the Appalachians as being "out west".
And back in 1851 when Northwestern was founded, I think it was even more so. California had just been admitted as a state. Iowa and Wisconsin had only been admitted in the previous 5 years. Minnesota and Kansas hadn't been yet.
So we think of it as the Midwest now, but the country was very different then.
-
Apparently it's named after the Northwest Territory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Territory).
The US has always been east-centric. Pretty sure everyone there thinks of anything west of the Appalachians as being "out west".
And back in 1851 when Northwestern was founded, I think it was even more so. California had just been admitted as a state. Iowa and Wisconsin had only been admitted in the previous 5 years. Minnesota and Kansas hadn't been yet.
So we think of it as the Midwest now, but the country was very different then.
See above.
-
When Northwestern was founded, it was in the Northwest Territory.
It's kinda like in the Michigan fight song, where they self-proclaim to be the "Champions of the West".
(https://i.imgur.com/CXJPlpf.png)
i like my theory better.
(https://media1.tenor.com/m/gDPgEekqX_UAAAAC/reality-substitute.gif)
-
There was a SW territory, which was TN.
(https://neo-trans.blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/States-territories-1795-96.png)
NE Ohio was in CT.
-
Getting to the local Badger bar for an early game, when the turnout is best. Haven’t been able to be there much this year. Hoping for a good afternoon.
-
On the Purple train headed to Evanston. We went to Millennium Park and ate at Gage, which was actually really good. Had bread with burrata covered in crispy brussel sprouts, pickled onions, and walnuts. Then a lobster roll. Then some apple strudel. All great. Probably a Lake Michigan lobster
-
New Ryan Field
-
The wife was more receptive to football than I thought, so we will be in the stands for NW v. PSU
Really cool you get to be there for the first game!
Watching on FOX and it looks like a cool venue.
-
Good start for the Cats, Marcel would be happy!