CFB51 College Football Fan Community
The Power Four => Big Ten => Topic started by: ManHawk on September 27, 2026, 08:16:12 AM
-
Wow! What a dramatic week 4 in the Big Ten. It may take some time to sort out all the results from Saturday. My weekly power rankings are in a post below.
What does everybody else think?
-
And where would that be? Seeing as this is the Rankings Thread
-
1. Indiana - beats NW at home. Next up Ind plays at Rutgers.
2. Ohio St - beats Illinois at home. Next up OSU plays at Iowa
3. UCLA - Pummels MD on the road. Could UCLA be for real? Next up UCLA has the week off.
4. Iowa - iowa pulls out dramatic last second win on road at Michigan. Iowa has a way of just hanging around and sometimes they get lucky. Last 2 Iowa TD drives were kept alive by crazy catches caught off tipped balls. Mich stalled drives and Mich penalties were costly to Mich. Iowa took advantage and found a way to win.
5. Michigan - Mich loses at home to iowa on last play of the game. Some say this is karma for the WMU game. I have to agree. Next up Mich plays at Minn
6. Northwestern - lost by 6 points at Indiana. Next up NW has its grand opening of its brand new $800M stadium hosting Penn St on Friday night.
7. Nebraska - nice solid win at Mich St. Is Nebraska sneaky good? Next up Nebraska hosts MD
8. Oregon - nice solid win at USC, but I have not forgotten Oregon still lost at Okie St. Next up Ore gets the week off.
9. USC - lost at home to Oregon. Next up USC hosts Wash.
10. Wisconsin - big comeback win at PSU. Next up Wisc hosts Mich St
11. Penn St - lost at home to Wisc. Penn St may have some issues. Next up PSU plays at NW's new stadium on Friday night
12. Illinois - lost at Ohio St. Next up ILL hosts Purdue
13. Minnesota- wins late night game on west coast at Wash , which is not easy to do. Next up Minn hosts Mich.
14. Wahington - lost at home in late night game to Minn. There were signs in non-conference that maybe Wash is not that good and Minn just confirmed it. Next up Wash plays at USC
15. Purdue - blown out at home by Notre Dame. Next up Purdue plays at Illinois
16. Mich St - lost at home to Neb. Next up Mich St plays at Wisc
17. Maryland - blown out at home by UCLA. This might be the last year for MD's coach. Next up MD plays at Neb.
18. Rutgers - got first victoy blowing out FCS Howard. But they still lost to UMass in week 1. Next up Rut hosts Ind.
-
Rutgers' next win will be against Maryland.
-
And where would that be? Seeing as this is the Rankings Thread
Sorry I was a little slow today because I was distracted by the countless number of videos posted this morning of Iowa's last second game winning TD pass at Michigan. It takes a while to scroll through them all over and over again. I will do better next time.
-
No biggie hard reading the tea leaves so soon after the contests.Hell if everyone else wasn't so seemingly blase in play I might have dropped tOSU. Hard for me to put the Bruins 3rd after last year, gonna put the Hawks there as I had PSU & M* at 3/4 last week and they both turtled. Not confident with tOSU going into I.C. next week end and Ferentz and friends gaining steam
-
No biggie hard reading the tea leaves so soon after the contests.Hell if everyone else wasn't so seemingly blase in play I might have dropped tOSU. Hard for me to put the Bruins 3rd after last year, gonna put the Hawks there as I had PSU & M* at 3/4 last week and they both turtled. Not confident with tOSU going into I.C. next week end and Ferentz and friends gaining steam
Huh, I almost put Michigan above Iowa in this week's rankings since Iowa's win was such a crazy confluence of good things happening for Iowa and bad things for Mich. But sometimes you make your own luck and a win is a win and a loss is a loss (unless they put 1 second back on the clock)
But I would not worry about Ohio St against Iowa. I believe OSU is much better and Iowa will be coming off an emotional win, destined for a letdown
-
Ya but I.C. must hold seances or conduct voodoo clinics as funny things seem happen to stout teams there. And Iowa brought it yesterday when they absolutely had to have it. The fans in the stadium didn't think that ending possible,maybe that team felt the same and it was their undoing - it was beautiful. But let's not go there this week!!!
That last drive they looked like a team having fun and playing loose
-
in a power ranking I'd rank Michigan ahead of Iowa
I'd guess if they played each other next saturday the vegas line would favor michigan by a few
-
in a power ranking I'd rank Michigan ahead of Iowa
That's OK I'd rank MSU ahead of UNL
-
fine, I'm ranking Illinois #1
-
No free rooms for you - come back in ONE YEAR
-
1) Ohio State - most complete team in the B1G so far, still plenty of room for growth
2) UCLA - yeah, Coach Locksley is likely a dead man walking at this point, but winning by 50+ against a conference foe is impressive no matter what. Looking more and more like the best team out West this year
3) Indiana - got the W against feisty NW
4) Iowa - Hank Brown is drawing favorable comparisons to Nate Stanley. Now if the run game can get going against defenses with a pulse...
5) Oregon - good response after Dante Moore took that cheap shot
6) Michigan - kicking themselves for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Still a formidable club
7) USC - they appear to be who most of us thought they're going to be
8) Nebraska - overpowered Sparty; still flying under the radar despite being 4-0
9) Northwestern - showed plenty of fight against IU. They may well tag someone (could well be Penn State this coming weekend)
10) Wisconsin - Fickell's seat might be cooling off some
11) Penn State - Meet the new boss, same as the old boss
12) Minnesota - Washington might be shaky this year, but all road wins are precious. And there's little shame in getting gobsmacked by MS State - they may actually be the best team in Mississippi (letdown game be damned, Ole Miss is still a top tier team)
13) Illinois - I don't have a strong read for this team, but they appear to have dropped off some this year
14) Washington - the 3-0 start was all smoke and mirrors. The Huskies have clearly taken a step back
15) Michigan State - there's a separation between the bottom 4 and the top 14. I think Sparty is the best of the basement but that's not saying much
16) Purdue - they'll need a break just to get 3 wins
17) Rutgers - Schiano's goose is probably cooked, but his guys are still playing hard
18) Maryland - Locksley's goose is probably cooked, but his team has already shown signs of quitting.
-
in a power ranking I'd rank Michigan ahead of Iowa
I'd guess if they played each other next saturday the vegas line would favor michigan by a few
Yes, I think Iowa got lucky to play Michigan early in the season. Once Mich fixes their problems with too many penalties and with not finishing drives, they will become a pretty good team. But they are not there yet.
-
Ya but I.C. must hold seances or conduct voodoo clinics as funny things seem happen to stout teams there.
Looks like ESPN is a believer. They have announced Game Day is coming to Iowa City for the Ohio St game
-
Rutgers' next win will be against Maryland.
Guessing Purdue's next win will come 9/18/2027.
-
Looks like ESPN is a believer. They have announced Game Day is coming to Iowa City for the Ohio St game
I was there for a GameDay GameDay between Ohio State and Iowa. At the time (and maybe still?) it was the most highly attended sporting event in the history of the state of Iowa. I believe Corso picked Herkey.
-
Bucks are a pretty hefty favorite over Iowa (2 TDs?!). I thought the line would have been closer to 8 or 9 points
-
Ohio St is good, they have an offense
Michigan is not good, they don't have one
-
Yes, I think Iowa got lucky to play Michigan early in the season. Once Mich fixes their problems with too many penalties and with not finishing drives, they will become a pretty good team. But they are not there yet.
M* finished '25 losing the last two and that was with Sharrone/Biff Poggi . According to their fans here KW isn't the answer - so there's that :93:
-
1) Ohio State: only blemish remains a 1-pt loss at #1 Texas. Solid win over a probably solid Illinois.
2) Indiana: is Northwestern for real? Cignetti thinks so.
3) Iowa? Yeah. Really nice win in Ann Arbor. Always a tough thing to do.
...
Gets tricky in here...
4) Oregon? Good win in Los Angeles. Bad loss to Oklahoma State, other curious results.
5) Northwestern? Based on results, who is better? 1-score loss at the defending national champion isn't much of a blemish.
6) UCLA? Wins are good, and impressive win at September Maryland, but not that great hosting Purdue...
7) Nebraska? Needs a quality win, but impressive road win in conference.
8) Michigan: 2-2, but this team would be favored against everyone below here, and probably several above.
9) USC: still dangerous.
...
10) Illinois: probably a tough out for anyone. Ohio State isn't just anyone.
11) Minnesota: quality win on the road. Won't surprise anyone, but they do their thing better than mediocre.
12) Wisconsin: big win on the road in Happy Valley. No small thing. Good defense. Sloppy offense.
13) Penn State: still a tough out for just about anyone. Weird collapse.
14) Washington: bad loss at home on a Saturday night.
...
15) Michigan State: ouch
16) Maryland: yikes
17) Purdue: rough way to renew the ND game
18) Rutgers: yay, you beat Howard!
-
I was there for a GameDay GameDay between Ohio State and Iowa. At the time (and maybe still?) it was the most highly attended sporting event in the history of the state of Iowa. I believe Corso picked Herkey.
I assume you mean the football game set an attendance record, which may be true if you don't count the Iowa State fair. After all, the fair is kinda a competition that awards blue ribbons instead of trophies.
-
1)Hoosiers,still undefeated defending NCs
2)Buckeyes - shaky defense exploding passing game
3)Hawkeyes - 4-0 won in a tight spot on the road
4)Ducks - filled a tall order on the road with Heisman hopeful Dante Moore going down.However Dylan Raiola stepped in and delivered seemlessly
5)Bruins - 4-0 and hammering them all along the way
6)Meecheegan - even though just 2-2 ,M* played well but ill-timed penalties and a turnover helped keep Iowa in the game
7) 'Skers - 4-0 beating an undermanned Spartan squad on the road
8)Trashans(USC) - Riley's on his 3rd DC with the same results, He should suspend the cheapshot artist and those that hi-fived him
9)Wildcats - lost by 6 on the road to defending Conference and National Champs
10)Gophers - I guess after a dismal defeat last week travels to the west coast and beats a solid Huskies team
11)Badgers - QB throws 3 pix and they win in HV vs a supposedly rejuvinated Lion team - we'll take it
12)Ninnies - why not
13)Huskies
14)Illini
15)Spartans
16)Terps
17)Knights
18) Boilers - down 35-0 at the half
-
I was there for a GameDay GameDay between Ohio State and Iowa. At the time (and maybe still?) it was the most highly attended sporting event in the history of the state of Iowa. I believe Corso picked Herkey.
I guess that was the last time Game Day was in Iowa City, in 2006.
Iinterestingly, 2006 was the last official time Ohio St won in Iowa city. OSU actually won in Iowa City in 2010 but that win was later vacated, so not an official win.
-
I assume you mean the football game set an attendance record, which may be true if you don't count the Iowa State fair. After all, the fair is kinda a competition that awards blue ribbons instead of trophies.
I heard it on an Iowa radio station so not really vouching for it.
Iinterestingly, 2096 was the last official time Ohio St won in Iowa city. OSU actually won in Iowa City in 2010 but that win was later vacated, so not an official win.
This is nothing against Iowa but I used to honestly respect the vacated idea and I avoided counting vacated wins when doing comparisons and whatnot.
However, after watching the dirtbags from the North piss all over the rules and anything resembling integrity and cheat their way to three B1G and one National title with nothing vacated despite overwhelming evidence of their misdeeds I just don't take the idea seriously anymore.
-
(https://i.imgur.com/sPg7tS3.png)
-
This is nothing against Iowa but I used to honestly respect the vacated idea and I avoided counting vacated wins when doing comparisons and whatnot.
However, after watching the dirtbags from the North piss all over the rules and anything resembling integrity and cheat their way to three B1G and one National title with nothing vacated despite overwhelming evidence of their misdeeds I just don't take the idea seriously anymore.
I agree. I still remember the 2010 game in Iowa City where Iowa blew a 4Q lead to Ohio St. Maybe it does not count as a win, but Iowa definitely lost that game that day