CFB51 College Football Fan Community
The Power Four => Big Ten => Topic started by: Gigem on August 08, 2026, 12:22:20 PM
-
(5) Footloose vs. (12) Predator
(5) Footloose (1984)
Kevin Bacon, teenage rebellion, dancing, small-town restrictions, fashion, and one of the decade’s biggest soundtracks make Footloose a natural tournament entry. Songs such as “Footloose” and “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” have kept the movie alive across generations, while its dance sequences remain inseparable from the popular image of the 1980s.
(12) Predator (1987)
The jungle setting does not diminish its unmistakable 1980s identity. Muscles, military hardware, practical effects, Arnold Schwarzenegger, macho dialogue, and one of cinema’s greatest creatures give Predator enormous staying power. It also contains some of the most recognizable handshakes, one-liners, and action imagery of the decade.
(https://i.imgur.com/p5QlBe9.jpeg)
-
Predator by ten miles. Maybe for the end credits alone if we are going by the 80s. But also Arnold. And it's a great movie.
-
I don't know, Kenny Loggins theme song screams 1980s. I voted for Kevin Bacon but this one can obviously go either way.
-
I watched a review of Predator some years back and they made one very good point I hadn't thought of.
Why show the alien ship in the first 30 seconds? Why give that to the audience? It would've made everything a little more suspenseful without that knowledge. We'd figure it out eventually, right?
Removing that little piece of mystery was not a good idea.
-
I watched a review of Predator some years back and they made one very good point I hadn't thought of.
Why show the alien ship in the first 30 seconds? Why give that to the audience? It would've made everything a little more suspenseful without that knowledge. We'd figure it out eventually, right?
Removing that little piece of mystery was not a good idea.
It's a very fun, and very bad movie
-
I watched a review of Predator some years back and they made one very good point I hadn't thought of.
Why show the alien ship in the first 30 seconds? Why give that to the audience? It would've made everything a little more suspenseful without that knowledge. We'd figure it out eventually, right?
Removing that little piece of mystery was not a good idea.
I think it's more along the lines of Game of Thrones, which shows you The Others right away, before shifting to all the other stuff. Not as effective as Game of Thrones, but hey, it's an 80's action movie.
-
My original take on Predator for the win: not an easy win, but a comfortable one. Maybe the quintessential 80s action flick with huge stars, special ops on secret missions to Central America, and a sci fi bad guy? Takes it over a solid 80s timepiece in Footloose. I'll admit that this is one of those matchups where my complete disinterest in seeing Footloose again probably weighs into my decision.
-
To me, Footloose is a chick flick, therefore -- it should lose. And Predator was/is cool.
-
To me, Footloose is a chick flick, therefore -- it should lose. And Predator was/is cool.
But which one is more 80's?
-
But which one is more 80's?
Both?
Y'all keep saying this "more 80's, but the thread title is what it should be. Best.
OT Best 80's Movie Round 1 MTV (https://www.cfb51.com/big-ten/ot-best-80's-movie-round-1-mtv-region-footloose-vs-predator/msg803354/#msg803354)
-
Both?
Y'all keep saying this "more 80's, but the thread title is what it should be. Best.
OT Best 80's Movie Round 1 MTV (https://www.cfb51.com/big-ten/ot-best-80's-movie-round-1-mtv-region-footloose-vs-predator/msg803354/#msg803354)
So, the thread should be called "Best Movies Made in the 1980's" then?
I'm reading it as best 80's movie, which to me means that it has to scream 80's.
-
Both?
Y'all keep saying this "more 80's, but the thread title is what it should be. Best.
OT Best 80's Movie Round 1 MTV (https://www.cfb51.com/big-ten/ot-best-80's-movie-round-1-mtv-region-footloose-vs-predator/msg803354/#msg803354)
The thread titles are limited in space, so @Gigem (https://www.cfb51.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1706) can only explain so much there. He's expounded on the "most 80's" thing quite a bit in his instructions for the tournament.
Maybe he could name them "Most 80's Movie Round X..." instead of "Best 80's Movie"
-
So, the thread should be called "Best Movies Made in the 1980's" then?
I'm reading it as best 80's movie, which to me means that it has to scream 80's.
Which 80's movie is most 80's seems dumb to me, but whatever. Not my thread, so I'll respect the exercise.
-
The thread titles are limited in space, so @Gigem (https://www.cfb51.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1706) can only explain so much there. He's expounded on the "most 80's" thing quite a bit in his instructions for the tournament.
Maybe he could name them "Most 80's Movie Round X..." instead of "Best 80's Movie"
That makes sense to me, but as stated -- not my circus.
I get the idea.
-
Which 80's movie is most 80's seems dumb to me, but whatever. Not my thread, so I'll respect the exercise.
It's whatever it means to you.
I generalized that a lot of this board is heavy Gen X. Which means we were 1-15 years old when 1980 rolled around, and 10-25 when 1990 started. That's a wide age difference. Somebody who was 10 in 1980 would have a much different perception than somebody who was 5 (such as myself).
I sorta listed some of the things that made the '80's unique. Big hair, arcades, early computers, synthetic music, MTV, clothes, moonwalking, music, skate boarding, BMX bikes, kid adventure movies. But everybody brings their own experiences to the polls.
I'm not sure why it seems so complicated, it's not an exact science or definition. If you were already 25 when 1980 started, then you may not even care too much about 80s culture. Several posters were throwing out '70's movies and culture which is sort of the spirit, just wrong decade.
One of the rules is that it has to be set in the 1980's itself, which excludes great films like Raiders of the Lost Ark. I made a handful of exceptions just based on certain criteria. Why? My bracket, my rules. LOL>
-
Looks like we're stuck at a tie...so therefore using my tie breaker rule that I just invented I'm advancing Predator.
Close it down.