CFB51 College Football Fan Community

The Power Four => Big Ten => Topic started by: ELA on March 26, 2026, 12:12:24 PM

Title: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on March 26, 2026, 12:12:24 PM
They are mathematically still alive, but I think the Giants' chances of catching the Dodgers are already gone
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: SFBadger96 on March 26, 2026, 12:13:14 PM
Sigh. Pretty sure you're right.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on March 26, 2026, 12:27:04 PM
Sigh. Pretty sure you're right.
Hopefully for my dynasty team, Bryce Eldridge comes up sooner, rather than later
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Wildcat4E on March 26, 2026, 12:41:38 PM
I hate to even say anything out loud but for the jinx.

But I will likely be spending money to watch my Royals this year.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on March 26, 2026, 01:01:35 PM
I hate to even say anything out loud but for the jinx.

But I will likely be spending money to watch my Royals this year.
It's a fun team.  I don't think Minnesota is trying right now.  Sick of Cleveland monkey pawing, they need a season where the luck doesn't bounce their way.  Chicago is still a ways away.

I'd be on board with a Tigers-Royals division race.  Witt-Vinny are fun.  Tigers have a heavy lack of fun.  It was nice having Baez be decent last year, because he seems to be the only guy out there enjoying himself
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on March 26, 2026, 01:08:51 PM
Sox are getting a new owner very soon.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on March 26, 2026, 01:14:17 PM
Sox are getting a new owner very soon.
The fans deserve one
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on March 26, 2026, 01:16:50 PM
I'll be a fan again, so there's that.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on March 26, 2026, 09:30:06 PM
Happy Opening Day.  It should be a national holiday.

Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on April 02, 2026, 04:43:55 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/jogI15x.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Cincydawg on April 03, 2026, 12:31:52 PM
The Braves hitters had fun in Arizona last night.  I went to bed at 7-1.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on April 07, 2026, 08:03:15 AM
On this date in 1973, Minnesota Twins legend Tony Oliva became the first designated hitter to homer in a regular season American League game.

After missing most of the 1972 season with a bad knee, Oliva had his career revitalized by the new DH rule.

(https://i.imgur.com/R1psneh.jpeg)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on April 23, 2026, 10:32:37 AM
(https://i.imgur.com/ZuuxYoW.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: CatsbyAZ on April 23, 2026, 11:15:08 AM
On Wednesday of last week I went to the Padres game Vs the Mariners, and it was a disaster. Long lines formed outside the gates for a Vest Giveaway, with fans arguing with each other over their position in line, long delays getting through ticketing, more fans upset when Vests ran out. I didn't get one.

The whole experience confirmed my dislike of being in public with strangers.

But lucky for me the Padres Guest Experience reached out to me to confirm that they will be making sure to make up for it once they have a plan to recoup those who missed out. 

Not used to good customer service.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on April 23, 2026, 11:33:58 AM
This works for the NL South, with the Rays moving in, and either Nashville or Charlotte getting a team. Some here think that the Rays should move to Orlando.

Who gets the new AL West team? Seems kinda clear to me "they" want it to be Portland.


(https://i.imgur.com/KznizRG.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on April 23, 2026, 12:58:32 PM
Atlanta signs up for that immediately.  Baltimore might have some qualms
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on April 23, 2026, 01:20:24 PM
Charlotte metro is 2.4 million. Nashville metro is 1.4 million.

I think they will go for Charlotte this time around.

My thought is to take both of these cities and stick the Rockies in the AL West. Nashville to the AL South and Charlotte to the NL South.

(https://i.imgur.com/bRIaGLe.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Wildcat4E on April 23, 2026, 05:10:10 PM
Last time I saw expansion talk was Salt Lake City and Nashville.  Charlotte seems quite a lot bigger than both, and North Carolina is approaching 10M total population, along with 4M in South Carolina a short drive as well.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on April 23, 2026, 11:06:51 PM
Last time I saw expansion talk was Salt Lake City and Nashville.  Charlotte seems quite a lot bigger than both, and North Carolina is approaching 10M total population, along with 4M in South Carolina a short drive as well.
(https://i.imgur.com/PJtabXv.jpeg)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on April 28, 2026, 02:41:27 PM
After this weeks series against Atlanta, Tigers will have played 21 of 32 games against NL teams.

There are 2 division rivals they haven't played, and won't play for a while.  Cleveland not til May 18, White Sox not til May 29

Please go back to a more unbalanced schedule
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on April 28, 2026, 03:01:31 PM
https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/status/2048204364742046173?s=20
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Wildcat4E on April 28, 2026, 05:06:13 PM
Well, my Royals got off to a horrid start of the season.  Seems to be a pattern.

But, they just swept the Angels, with Sunday coming back from down 6-0, and Jack Caglianone hit a 2-run HR to tie it in the 9th-with 2 outs, and Lane Thomas (traded via Brewers) hit a 3-run jack, again with 2 outs, to win 11-9.  Maybe their dead-ass bats are waking up.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Cincydawg on April 28, 2026, 05:34:06 PM
I can’t believe da Braves.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on April 29, 2026, 12:29:56 AM
Well, my Royals got off to a horrid start of the season.  Seems to be a pattern.

But, they just swept the Angels, with Sunday coming back from down 6-0, and Jac Caglianone hit a 2-run HR to tie it in the 9th-with 2 outs,
Go Gators!
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on April 29, 2026, 04:15:43 PM
I can’t believe da Braves.
They are something, and not even close to healthy either

Tigers lead the AL Central at 15-15
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on April 30, 2026, 03:51:59 AM
They are something, and not even close to healthy either

Tigers lead the AL Central at 15-15
I really wish these multi-billion dollar sports leagues had anyone in the decision-making class with simple math knowledge to advise against a format that could yield a .500 or even sub-.500 division-winner playoff team.

It's asinine. 

The NFL is guilty.  MLB is, too, and will only get worse with expansion.  The NBA is the best of the 3, but not really, because of tanking (7 teams that were 30+ games behind 1st in their DIVISONS).  So they don't even really count. 

I know I've said it a hundred times, but our society has sold out EVERYTHING for an extra dollar.  You can value money without being a whore for it.  You can value money and still be ethical. 
But no.  Fuck that noise. 
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on April 30, 2026, 10:30:31 AM
(https://i.imgur.com/1hnzYyc.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on April 30, 2026, 11:38:59 AM
I really wish these multi-billion dollar sports leagues had anyone in the decision-making class with simple math knowledge to advise against a format that could yield a .500 or even sub-.500 division-winner playoff team.

It's asinine. 

The NFL is guilty.  MLB is, too, and will only get worse with expansion.  The NBA is the best of the 3, but not really, because of tanking (7 teams that were 30+ games behind 1st in their DIVISONS).  So they don't even really count. 

I know I've said it a hundred times, but our society has sold out EVERYTHING for an extra dollar.  You can value money without being a whore for it.  You can value money and still be ethical. 
But no.  Fuck that noise. 
Once they went away from unbalanced schedules, they should have just abolished divisions
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: betarhoalphadelta on May 03, 2026, 04:51:58 PM
Here's what the nosebleeds (very top row) looks like at Angel stadium.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on May 03, 2026, 09:50:18 PM
I once had nosebleed seats for the DBacks in the RF upper deck and was amazed at how good they were.  I could still follow the ball, and I don't have particularly good vision.
It's a great deal.

Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on May 03, 2026, 11:24:47 PM
Here's what the nosebleeds (very top row) looks like at Angel stadium.
Still probably closer than is safe to watch Angels baseball from
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Cincydawg on May 21, 2026, 06:27:58 PM
Da Braves have been winning nearly every close game they play, which I kind of expect to regress, though the past should not impact the future that way.  Timely hitting and really good relief work helps, duh.   Very unexpected by me.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on May 21, 2026, 07:09:59 PM
The A's are in first place.  
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on July 01, 2026, 10:15:00 AM
(https://i.imgur.com/rIQ99zd.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on July 01, 2026, 10:35:59 AM
1968 all over again
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on July 01, 2026, 12:14:28 PM
not really
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on July 01, 2026, 12:29:56 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/J2oAhdE.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on July 01, 2026, 12:32:15 PM
Does everyone hate the Dodgers like they hated the Yankees 20 years ago?

They're really quite something.  Best record (or close) and guys have been hurt, in-n-out of the lineup, stars playing shitty, no-name pitchers getting big innings.
And it just works.
The Dodgers have not played anywhere close to their best, and they're still great.  Do people hate that?

No one hates the Mets, though.  Higher payroll, last place.  You really do get more hate for the outcome, not the process.

Sort of like Barry Bonds.  People don't hate him because he took PEDs.  Sooooo many people took them.  He just happened to be the best player to take them.  Damning.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on July 01, 2026, 01:07:28 PM
Does everyone hate the Dodgers like they hated the Yankees 20 years ago?

They're really quite something.  Best record (or close) and guys have been hurt, in-n-out of the lineup, stars playing shitty, no-name pitchers getting big innings.
And it just works.
The Dodgers have not played anywhere close to their best, and they're still great.  Do people hate that?

No one hates the Mets, though.  Higher payroll, last place.  You really do get more hate for the outcome, not the process.

Sort of like Barry Bonds.  People don't hate him because he took PEDs.  Sooooo many people took them.  He just happened to be the best player to take them.  Damning.
I hate them both equally and always have.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on July 01, 2026, 01:20:18 PM
Does everyone hate the Dodgers like they hated the Yankees 20 years ago?


Sort of like Barry Bonds.  People don't hate him because he took PEDs.  Sooooo many people took them.  He just happened to be the best player to take them.  Damning.
Yup, I've hated the Dodgers since Garvey played for them in 69

I hated Barry Bonds because of PEDs
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on July 01, 2026, 01:27:11 PM
Barry Bonds was also a dick to everyone
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on July 01, 2026, 01:36:55 PM
I liked Bobby Bonds
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on July 01, 2026, 02:09:31 PM
I liked Bobby Bonds
I did too, when he played for the Sox.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Wildcat4E on July 01, 2026, 02:33:26 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/rIQ99zd.png)
Probably a lot of reasons for this, but I would submit:

The use of specialist relievers that throw freaking gas now.  Nobody comes out of a bullpen throwing less than 97 these days. 

Hardly any starters face a guy for the 4th time, hell, barely 3 these days.  Instead of a dead arm junk throwing starter that has nothing left, they bring in the pen.  Anybody remember the HDH the Royals employed in '14? Kevin Herrera, Wade Davis and Greg Holland.  They hardly ever lost if they were up after 6 innings.
  
The change from small-ball to swinging for the fences.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on July 01, 2026, 02:40:32 PM
Probably a lot of reasons for this, but I would submit:


The change from small-ball to swinging for the fences.
I assume this is by far the biggest reason, and I'm not a fan.

I don't think pitchers are much better these daze
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on July 01, 2026, 04:40:18 PM
Barry Bonds was also a dick to everyone
Cost him an MVP or two.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on July 01, 2026, 04:44:48 PM
Probably a lot of reasons for this, but I would submit:

The use of specialist relievers that throw freaking gas now.  Nobody comes out of a bullpen throwing less than 97 these days.

Hardly any starters face a guy for the 4th time, hell, barely 3 these days.  Instead of a dead arm junk throwing starter that has nothing left, they bring in the pen.  Anybody remember the HDH the Royals employed in '14? Kevin Herrera, Wade Davis and Greg Holland.  They hardly ever lost if they were up after 6 innings.
 
The change from small-ball to swinging for the fences.
I also blame bad habits.  
The PED era was long enough, having 8-hole hitters mashing 20+ HRs, that you'd have entire lineups swinging for the fences.  Now that PEDs are gone (for the most part) and everyone is back to normal, you have a generation of guys who want to mash but can't really mash.  These lesser hitters didn't grow up doing situational hitting, just grippin' it and rippin' it.  

I love that baseball has been strategically smart with its changes - upping stolen bases a lot and banning the shift.  Even the baserunner on 2nd thing is statistically prudent.  
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on July 02, 2026, 02:38:07 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/QvHpEl9.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MrNubbz on July 02, 2026, 04:50:55 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/J2oAhdE.png)
I'm a Bud Man and a Cub Fan
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on July 02, 2026, 04:57:34 PM
I also blame bad habits. 
The PED era was long enough, having 8-hole hitters mashing 20+ HRs, that you'd have entire lineups swinging for the fences.  Now that PEDs are gone (for the most part) and everyone is back to normal, you have a generation of guys who want to mash but can't really mash.  These lesser hitters didn't grow up doing situational hitting, just grippin' it and rippin' it. 

I love that baseball has been strategically smart with its changes - upping stolen bases a lot and banning the shift.  Even the baserunner on 2nd thing is statistically prudent. 
I don't know that they want to, but it's still strategically wise to.  The pitchers are so good, you aren't going to string together hits.  I love bringing stealing back and banning the shift, it has helped.  But having a guy coming in who throws 101, with a 94 splitter still makes it statistically smart to go for broke
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MrNubbz on July 02, 2026, 05:01:54 PM
I liked Bobby Bonds
I remember he stopped in Clevaland in '79 for a cup of coffee. A TV camera one time caught him and a coach sneaking a smoke between innings in the tunnel leading to the dugout.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MrNubbz on July 02, 2026, 05:05:18 PM
I don't know that they want to, but it's still strategically wise to.  The pitchers are so good, you aren't going to string together hits.  I love bringing stealing back and banning the shift, it has helped.  But having a guy coming in who throws 101, with a 94 splitter still makes it statistically smart to go for broke
Can always hope for a walk - they all can't be that accurate. Ever want to get a great baseball book get The Umpire Strikes Back by Ron Luciano. One of the funniest books I've ever read - an umpire and got a lot of press back in the 70s/80s for his crazy antics and wisecracks. Rod Carew was such a great hitter if he didn't swing Luciano automatically called it a ball, figure Carew knew the strike zone. 
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on July 02, 2026, 08:08:05 PM
I'm a Bud Man and a Cub Fan
That picture was taken in the center field bleachers at Comiskey Park when he was the Sox announcer. 
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on July 02, 2026, 11:44:31 PM
I don't know that they want to, but it's still strategically wise to.  The pitchers are so good, you aren't going to string together hits.  I love bringing stealing back and banning the shift, it has helped.  But having a guy coming in who throws 101, with a 94 splitter still makes it statistically smart to go for broke
Ehhh, maybe if every player had the same ability level.

A shitty hitter trying to hit bombs against a fireballing reliever doesn't seem prudent.  Getting on base any way you can does.  Get to the better hitters in your lineup for the stringing together of hits/bombs.  
I get what you're saying, and it's the best overall strategy statistically, but I'm talking about a sliver of the baseball player population here.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on July 03, 2026, 10:16:33 AM
a lot fewer guys hitting 300
a lot more guys hitting 40 or more home runs
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on July 13, 2026, 11:37:18 PM
Jordan Walker hitting 4 consecutive home runs to shut up the worst fans in sports is a sneaky top sports moment, that I barely otherwise cared about
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MrNubbz on July 14, 2026, 08:39:58 AM
Probably a lot of reasons for this, but I would submit:

The use of specialist relievers that throw freaking gas now.  Nobody comes out of a bullpen throwing less than 97 these days.

Hardly any starters face a guy for the 4th time, hell, barely 3 these days.  Instead of a dead arm junk throwing starter that has nothing left, they bring in the pen.  Anybody remember the HDH the Royals employed in '14? Kevin Herrera, Wade Davis and Greg Holland.  They hardly ever lost if they were up after 6 innings.
 
The change from small-ball to swinging for the fences.
Spot on IMHO - it is a lot of gym rats looking for just that. That's the reason i don't watch a whole lot anymore until later in the post season where fundamentals start bleeding thru. Batters adjusting their swing to advance teammates rather than just trying to get a base hit or a round tripper. Moving runners into scoring position by hook or by crook. Also in the field the guys knowing the situation and adjust accordingly - keep the ball in front of you and get it out quick sort of thing,hitting cutoffs knowing where base runners are at all times

  I awlays like listening to games while the radio crackles in the background its a wholesome thing. Radio PbP guys are always more dialed in than the TV toadies. I still have my dad's ancient Zenith radio he use to keep on top of the refrigerator though a close hanger know serves as the antenna
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MrNubbz on July 14, 2026, 08:44:58 AM
Jordan Walker hitting 4 consecutive home runs to shut up the worst fans in sports is a sneaky top sports moment, that I barely otherwise cared about
crazy they give out a million dollar prize for that - won't be long before that will be the average cost in MLB for a season seat :(
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on July 14, 2026, 11:42:09 AM
It was cool to see if he could send 50,000 people home sad. 
Clutch.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: slugsrbad on July 14, 2026, 07:52:21 PM
Jordan Walker hitting 4 consecutive home runs to shut up the worst fans in sports is a sneaky top sports moment, that I barely otherwise cared about
🙄 
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on July 14, 2026, 08:25:22 PM
Cristopher Sanchez of the Phillies and Dylan Cease of the Blue Jays starting the ASG tonight.

Sanchez is the first Phillie to start the ASG since Roy Halladay.  Cease is the first Blue Jay since...also Roy Halladay
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on July 27, 2026, 08:55:54 AM
Nolan Ryan and Randy Johnson. Johnson credits Ryan as saving his career by simply telling him to land on the ball of his foot.

(https://i.imgur.com/fpbpkrz.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MikeDeTiger on July 27, 2026, 11:11:12 AM
This isn't Grumpy, more like sad, and since it's vaguely MLB-related, I'll put it here.  

A guy from my small hometown (not BR, my "other" hometown) died this past weekend.  I always heard he played professional baseball, but I never thought much about it.  I did vaguely wonder a few times what that was about, because the locals seemed just as likely to not really know what they were talking about.  i.e., a guy who played baseball and moved off to pursue that might be later misconstrued to have been a "professional ball player" by people who don't know better, or are inclined to hype up a local boy.  And what are the chances a guy from a place like that was a "real" baseball player?

I saw someone repost a facebook post by a self-professed baseball historian and author--I wasn't familiar with his name--who wrote a few paragraphs in memoriam about the guy I knew.  Turns out, back in the day, he did indeed make The Show.  He was a pitcher, briefly, for the Cincinnati Reds.  I'm going from memory on what that guy wrote, but it seemed at least "not bad."  He pitched a total of 13 innings in relief near the end of his first season, recorded more K's than innings pitched, gave up 4 runs, all earned, and had an ERA of 2.77 (not sure how meaningful that is with such limited innings).  Then he tore something and was done for the rest of the season.  The next camp, he was expected to be a bigger part of their rotation, and I'm sure in his mind, hopefully one day a starter.  But he tore his labrum and that was the end of his baseball career.  He moved back to his tiny hometown and did what many men do there, became a railroad man, and that's all I ever knew of him.  

Well, not quite.  What I remember most about him is he had a son who was mentally disabled.  I don't know if it was some kind of autism, mental retardation, or what....I didn't really distinguish those things when I was around him more.  I just remember his son was fascinated with drums, and the man used to take his son and get as close as they could when I was playing somewhere so he could watch me up close.  

I didn't know this guy very well, I just knew who he was, as everyone in a small town knows who the other people are.  I knew about him from my uncle, who was his classmate and friend, and I knew him from church sometimes and when he'd bring his son to watch me play.  He seemed like a good man, and he wasn't all that old, so I was sad to hear he passed.  But I was fascinated to see his real story with baseball, however brief.  
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MarqHusker on July 27, 2026, 08:21:52 PM
I wonder if a fellow SABR member has written about this person.

Give it a spin  @MikeDeTiger (https://www.cfb51.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1588)
https://sabr.org/bioproject

if he's not there, perhaps you should round out a little more detail and I can have that added to the SABR bio project which is an amazing endeavor designed to chronicle every person who ever played the game professionally, but also was employed by a major league team.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MikeDeTiger on July 28, 2026, 10:26:38 AM
He's there, thanks for pointing that out.  Only thing missing is that he's deceased now.  
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Cincydawg on August 02, 2026, 01:43:57 PM
Folks are saying next season may not happen ....  I believe it.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 02, 2026, 01:55:05 PM
too much money lost to not have a season
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on August 02, 2026, 02:28:40 PM
F the Dodgers. That is all.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on August 02, 2026, 07:01:55 PM
Dodgers are officially the evil empire.  10 game division lead, already leading MLB in ERA, and they get Skubal.  Wow.  Also have Glasnow and Snell coming back soon.

Yeeesh.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 02, 2026, 07:08:05 PM
apparently, the salary cap isn't working
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 03, 2026, 08:52:32 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/TLd8shk.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on August 03, 2026, 11:23:37 PM
See what Bobby Bonilla started?!?
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: SFBadger96 on August 04, 2026, 12:44:50 PM
F the Dodgers. That is all.
This Giants fan's heart grew three sizes this day.

(even though I've basically given up on baseball for now because the Giants are a freakin' mess. I know, I'm a terrible fair weather fan.)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 04, 2026, 12:46:48 PM
I don't really think of the dodgers has the evil empire. that was when the Yankees were just signing up every free agent on the market. the Dodgers just keep a really good minor league pipeline, and have the money that they don't have to totally rely on it like the Brewers or the Rays.  They gave the Tigers two of their top five prospects, and between that and the Mize trade, the Tigers farm system went from #9 to #5 on place I saw.  The Dodgers fell from #4 to #6.

The Dodgers may yet resign him, but the reason they got him now, is because they had a really good farm system
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 04, 2026, 07:43:38 PM
To continue, the Yankees said George Lombard Jr. was off the table.  He's their top prospect, and #13 in all of baseball.  The Dodgers gave up two top 50 prospects (I think ~#27 and #48), and neither one was in their top 4.  They were their #5 and #7 prospects
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on August 04, 2026, 07:47:54 PM
The one pitcher is 0-7, but has nearly a 2:1 strikeout to IP ratio, lol.  Nuke Laloosh!  

The Dodgers did sign the top FA hitter, even though he's sucked this year (Tucker).  Maybe he thinks he's on the Mets.
Now they sign the top pitcher at the deadline.  But it wasn't a money thing, according to reports, just a good prospect haul.

The moment the new ownership took all of Tampa Bay's front office guys those years ago, combined with the money, I was supremely confident good times were ahead.
And now we're in it.  

Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on August 05, 2026, 09:04:11 AM
We?
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Cincydawg on August 05, 2026, 11:19:08 AM
Braves fans seem disappointed they didn't make a larger move.

Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Wildcat4E on August 05, 2026, 11:50:30 AM
Dodgers also added Kris Bubic from the Royals, for a triple-A guy the Dodgers picked up off the trash heap last off-season.

If the guy could stay healthy, he's a beast.  
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on August 05, 2026, 12:51:50 PM
F the Dodgers.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 05, 2026, 01:25:28 PM
yup, the over spending tax should be much higher
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 05, 2026, 05:40:30 PM
Also 0-7 since trading for Skubal, because baseball
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Cincydawg on August 05, 2026, 06:27:00 PM
The Mets, who Braves fans of course loathe, spent a lot, and are not good.  We also dislike the Phillies.  I think now nearly everyone loathes the Dodgers.  ABtD.

Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 05, 2026, 06:59:30 PM
I honestly don't hate them.  It was like when everyone acted in the early 2000s like the Red Sox were some small market team.  The NY teams, Boston, Philly, and the Chicago and LA teams COULD have spent like the Yankees.  They just didn't, or didn't as well, but acted like the little engines that could.  If the Mets, Red Sox, Phillies, White Sox, Cubs, Dodgers and Angels had spent their money on rosters (which they could have) and not PR, they could have won a bunch of titles in the steroids era
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on August 05, 2026, 08:34:36 PM
We?
Yes, we.  Us baseball fans.  We're experiencing the golden age of the Dodgers.  Some are complaining about it, but we are all witness to it.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 05, 2026, 09:01:08 PM
Yes, we.  Us baseball fans.  We're experiencing the golden age of the Dodgers.  Some are complaining about it, but we are all witness to it.
But mostly, how bout them Cowboys!!!

And it rolls right into Alabama football and Duke basketball season.  Life is good.  Except Maine hockey is down hard right now
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MaximumSam on August 05, 2026, 09:08:01 PM
Yes, we.  Us baseball fans.  
(https://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/There-are-dozens-of-us-Arrested-Development.gif)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 05, 2026, 10:44:38 PM
Crap, did this get merged with the OSU basketball thread?

Wait no, it says dozens
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on August 05, 2026, 11:10:42 PM
I meant all baseball fans.  
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 05, 2026, 11:46:57 PM
Mariners got their pitcher ejected on purpose so that they could bring in a RHP to face the Tigers best right handed batter, and now he gets as many pitches as he wants. My thought is MLB needs the college basketball rule that if a player gets ejected, the opposing team gets to pick the reliever (FT shooter)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 05, 2026, 11:48:11 PM
And Dingler sends a message
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on August 06, 2026, 06:42:26 AM
The Chicago Sox are a small-market team. Chicago is dominated by the Cubs. Everyone knows this.

I really wish they had moved down here (Dt. Pete) back in 1988, in hindsight. I happened to be in town, and I still have this. Doesn't fit...

(https://i.imgur.com/7LQ0VSH.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MaximumSam on August 06, 2026, 07:08:54 AM
Crap, did this get merged with the OSU basketball thread?

Wait no, it says dozens
My life as an OSU basketball fan in Columbus 


(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EbzAXjrWAAM35Es.jpg)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MikeDeTiger on August 06, 2026, 09:32:24 AM
Mariners got their pitcher ejected on purpose so that they could bring in a RHP to face the Tigers best right handed batter, and now he gets as many pitches as he wants. My thought is MLB needs the college basketball rule that if a player gets ejected, the opposing team gets to pick the reliever (FT shooter)

Is this something to do with the three-batter minimum rule?  I don't pay much attention to MLB, but why can't the Mariners bring in another pitcher whenever they feel like it?  
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 06, 2026, 09:48:05 AM
Is this something to do with the three-batter minimum rule?  I don't pay much attention to MLB, but why can't the Mariners bring in another pitcher whenever they feel like it? 
Correct
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 06, 2026, 09:48:50 AM
maybe they didn't have the guy warmed up and ready in the BP?
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: CatsbyAZ on August 11, 2026, 08:42:23 AM
Game night last night - Padres over Brewers 3-2. 

(https://i.imgur.com/odA9M0U.jpeg)


The shirtless Pat McAfees made an appearance:

(https://i.imgur.com/MMQxZxX.jpeg)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 11, 2026, 07:27:31 PM
Jose Ramirez might want to say something to his pitchers, or he's about to wear one
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 11, 2026, 09:23:14 PM
1946 at Griffith Stadium in Washington D.C., Bob Feller has his fastball clocked at 98.6 using the U.S. Army's Sky Screen Chronograph.

This device was used by the Army to measure the velocity of artillery shells


(https://i.imgur.com/tYeMlUJ.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Brutus Buckeye on August 12, 2026, 12:28:21 AM
The Chicago Sox are a small-market team. Chicago is dominated by the Cubs. Everyone knows this.

I really wish they had moved down here (Dt. Pete) back in 1988, in hindsight. I happened to be in town, and I still have this. Doesn't fit...

(https://i.imgur.com/7LQ0VSH.png)
Like the Wolverines, they peaked in the late 1800s/early 1900s. 
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on August 12, 2026, 05:42:13 AM
Probably 2005.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 14, 2026, 02:19:34 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/HJYJ6ID.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 14, 2026, 03:56:47 PM
saw that botched catch live last night on Netflix
poor kid
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Cincydawg on August 14, 2026, 04:00:23 PM
How many folks here have heard of a catcher's balk?

Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: SFBadger96 on August 14, 2026, 04:03:43 PM
Yes, I have. I think the most common one is using equipment (generally the mask) to play a ball.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on August 14, 2026, 04:15:50 PM
I think the balk is still charged to the pitcher though
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 21, 2026, 06:30:23 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/dkslDah.jpeg)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on August 22, 2026, 08:19:07 PM
I'd like to file a complaint against cincydawg for deleting posts about censorship.  People should know what he's doing.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 22, 2026, 09:29:05 PM
noted
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MikeDeTiger on August 24, 2026, 09:54:00 AM
Former LSU pitcher Kade Anderson was called up to Seattle this weekend and got his first start against Chicago, and recorded his first K against former LSU SS Alex Bregman.  Bregman got his revenge a few innings later when he launched a solo shot off Anderson.

Who "won?"  
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on August 24, 2026, 09:57:08 AM
My favorite player as a young kid.

Comiskey Park was where power went to die. The center field wall sat 445 feet from home plate and stood fifteen feet tall, and for most of the ballpark's life it simply could not be reached. Then Dick Allen arrived in 1972 with a 40-ounce bat and started rearranging what people thought was possible on the South Side.

On August 23 of that year, with Harry Caray broadcasting from the center field bleachers as he did on Wednesday afternoons, Allen turned on a pitch from Lindy McDaniel and dropped it seven rows deep, a few seats from Caray's fish net. He became the fourth man in the history of the ballpark to do it. Foxx. Greenberg. Alex Johnson. Allen. The following May he put one off the tower platform on the left field roof and out of the building entirely.

That season he hit .308 with 37 home runs and 113 RBI, won the MVP, and pulled a franchise back from the edge of leaving town. Attendance had cratered. Roland Hemond said flatly that Allen saved the White Sox, and nobody who was there has ever argued the point.

Here is the part that gets left out. In Philadelphia they called him Richie for years, on the roster, on the scorecards, on his baseball cards, long after he had told them his name was Dick. He said it made him sound ten years old. Chicago called him what he asked to be called. It is a small thing that was never small, and it is part of why the South Side got the best version of him.

He was inducted into the Hall of Fame on July 27, 2025, four and a half years after his death. The people in those Comiskey seats had it figured out fifty years earlier.


Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 28, 2026, 09:02:14 AM
(https://i.imgur.com/5G79As8.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Wildcat4E on August 28, 2026, 12:01:07 PM
So, I was highly optimistic about my small-market team, as a life-long Kansas City Royals fan.  I bought in that this year would be contending window, like Greg Amsinger of MLB Network--who had predicted 101 wins, and 30 HR for the two young budding superstars.

A slow start for Carter Jensen and Jac Caglianone, the closer (MLB leader from last year) gave up a grand slam walk-off in the first game of the season and hasn't pitched since, the loss of Cole Ragans (a pre-season Cy Young pick by many) and All-Star from last year Kris Bubic both knocked out of the starting rotation, and the entire starting infield being injured significant time, the set-up men have been horrific--I'm talking Historically bad--after being thought to be pretty damn competent...well, 2 weeks ago had them 24 games under .500.  

They just reeled off 9 in a row, and 11 of the last 13.  An average bullpen would have had them in contention this year, even with being a virtual hospital ward. But that's small market--big ones have injuries but they can go out and buy competent replacements.  For this recent run, some guys off the scrap heap are performing way better than the guys they started the season with.

Cags and Jensen are getting it, and are something to see. Both hit 3rd deck bombs yesterday. I am looking forward to the next 4-5 years while they are under their rookie deals, combined with Bobby Witt, Jr.--if the other parts are MLB average, 2014-15 can sure happen again.  Would sure help to find a bullpen like those HDH days.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Cincydawg on August 28, 2026, 12:13:53 PM
I often watch the Braves on TV, usually while reading something, last night I got quite interested, Chris Sale pitched a CG shutout to beat the Dodgers 1-0.  The one run was a lead off HR on the first pitch.  Sale is 37.  He had a couple pitches clocked at 100 mph.

It was neat to see, his family was there.

Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: SFBadger96 on August 28, 2026, 12:53:01 PM
Anytime someone beats the Dodgers it is neat to see.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on August 29, 2026, 07:56:21 AM
Standings are looking nice. The no-money teams are looking like money teams. Are the Brewers not the most well-run team in baseball?

(https://i.imgur.com/T2qJGOJ.png)

(https://i.imgur.com/vg7fVqx.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MarqHusker on August 29, 2026, 11:03:39 AM
Not just their roster and player management.  Their marketing and PR folks are quite savvy and effective.

I was a partial season ticket holder for many years before I moved away.  I still get outreach and opportunities for things as they know I still come back for a couple times a year.

Wouldn't mind seeing a pennant fly one of these years. Gotta win one of thse mlb postseason dice rolls.  Their reg season overperformance on PECOTA or Zips for past decade has been impressive.    Its like having Bill Snyder and KSU in your portfolio in the 90s
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: GopherRock on August 29, 2026, 12:15:28 PM
Then again, in the heaping pile of dog doo-doo that is the American League, everyone is going to be in contention until September 20.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on August 29, 2026, 12:16:30 PM
well, everyone over 500
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on August 29, 2026, 03:22:55 PM
Anytime someone beats the Dodgers it is neat to see.
Been swept twice in the last 2 weeks.  But the team come playoff time, if healthy, will be absurd and unfair.  Yet another WS championship will be a coin flip, because baseball.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on September 15, 2026, 04:50:05 PM
The Tigers, who at 71-79 are almost certainly out of the playoffs, have a run differential of +71, 3rd best in the AL, and better than Tampa Bay, who will almost certainly be the #1 overall seed at 90-59.

Don't worry, the Cleveland Rabbit Feet are currently in the playoffs at -11.  Every year, it's insane
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Cincydawg on September 16, 2026, 06:56:20 AM
All these expanded playoffs of course make more money, so we have them, but we end up with a playoff champ.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on September 16, 2026, 07:41:16 AM
watched the Braves/Cubs last night at Twin Peaks
Braves started out sloppy but pulled it together
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on September 29, 2026, 02:31:55 PM
Picks

WILDCARD
#3 Astros d. #6 White Sox in 2
#4 Yankees d. #5 Red Sox in 3

#3 Braves d. #6 Phillies in 2
#5 Cubs d. #4 Padres in 3

DIVISIONAL
#1 Rays d. #4 Yankees in 5
#3 Astros d. #2 Guardians in 4

#1 Brewers d. #5 Cubs in 5
#3 Braves d. #2 Dodgers in 4

CHAMPIONSHIP
#1 Rays d. #3 Astros in 5

#1 Brewers d. #3 Braves in 5

WORLD SERIES
Milwaukee Brewers d. Tampa Bay Rays in 6
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on September 29, 2026, 04:00:01 PM
I think the Sox can manage to beat the Strohs and are very even with the Indians.

3 straight on the road is not ideal though.

If they win today, they have a chance.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on September 29, 2026, 04:38:32 PM
Been swept twice in the last 2 weeks.  But the team come playoff time, if healthy, will be absurd and unfair.  Yet another WS championship will be a coin flip, because baseball.
The pitching is so good.  Short series caveat, but that's why I took them out in the LDS, I almost think Best of 7 is too long, and picking them is boring.  I think if they get past Philly/Atlanta, they win it all
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on September 29, 2026, 07:49:50 PM
Yeah, 1 seeds is less boring.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on September 30, 2026, 07:37:23 AM
Sox have a chance with that win.

First complete game I've watched since moving here.

Peecock!
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on September 30, 2026, 08:18:20 AM
I watched an hour or so of that game at BWWs in Watertown, SD
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Wildcat4E on September 30, 2026, 11:06:44 AM
I'm kind of rooting for the White Sox.  A dramatic turnaround within 2 years, building from within, gives other small market fans hope.

However, maybe I should rethink that, since they are in the AL Central.  Already have a couple of those teams that somehow keep winning and rebuilding.

The Royals pitching staff was historically bad, mostly due to catestrophic injury, but also lot of underperforming individuals from just last year.  So, how have they addressed that so far?  Reassign the hitting coach within the organization.

Watched the first few innings of Yankees/Red Sox.  Tolle pitched in college for Wichita State, had never even seen him.  Cam Schlittler is a f'ing beast.  A starter coming out and throwing 101.  Getting more common in MLB, which is why I maintain pitching is way better than it was 20 years ago, combined with a change in philosophy to hit homers or strike out (see the White Sox player that set an MLB record for K's), and the batting averages in MLB tanking.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on September 30, 2026, 01:39:11 PM
Sox won. 

Kubbs got smashed.

That's a good night.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Wildcat4E on September 30, 2026, 03:00:13 PM
More reason for hope...but they need to score A LOT of runs unless the bullpen gets fixed.

Jac Caglianone was named AL Player of the Month in August, and now Carter Jensen has been named AL Player of the Month for September. This is the second time in franchise history the Royals have had back-to-back AL Players of the Month, joining Hal McRae and George Brett in May and June of 1982.

(https://i.imgur.com/NkGj9Bk.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: OrangeAfroMan on September 30, 2026, 08:34:04 PM
More reason for hope...but they need to score A LOT of runs unless the bullpen gets fixed.

Jac Caglianone was named AL Player of the Month in August, and now Carter Jensen has been named AL Player of the Month for September. This is the second time in franchise history the Royals have had back-to-back AL Players of the Month, joining Hal McRae and George Brett in May and June of 1982.

(https://i.imgur.com/NkGj9Bk.png)
Go Gators!
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MrNubbz on October 01, 2026, 07:45:49 AM
MLB Divisional Series,c'mon Cleveland just once before I....you know
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on October 01, 2026, 09:23:31 AM
Sox. Indians.

If you know, you know.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on October 01, 2026, 10:13:43 AM
This is the 5th year of this format.

Of the 20 WC "series", only 6 have gone to 3 games, and 3 of them were last year.  It's set up for today to be a real winner take all fun day, and while it was last year, with 3 games, the other years have provided us with 1, 0, 1, and 1 Thursday game respectively.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on October 01, 2026, 10:53:00 AM
On a mission from God.

(https://i.imgur.com/Cqe0jmi.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MrNubbz on October 01, 2026, 12:17:18 PM
Know,Know,Know I'mean No,No,No
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on October 01, 2026, 12:52:45 PM
Tell that to the Pope.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on October 01, 2026, 04:54:14 PM
(https://i.imgur.com/qTmVal8.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: Wildcat4E on October 02, 2026, 03:33:27 PM
Post Mortem:  The bullpen was beyond atrocious.  Herrera/Davis/Holland HDH are rolling in their retirement rocking chairs. They hardly EVER lost a game with a lead going into the 7th.  28 losses in 8th inning or later...hold 15 of 28 and they are in the dance. The last Friday of their season, the relievers walked 9 guys in the final 2 innings.

(https://i.imgur.com/XnT0bCG.png)
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: ELA on October 04, 2026, 05:28:37 PM
Ball off the roof in fair territory in Milwaukee is in play? 

Thats some banana ball shit
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MarqHusker on October 04, 2026, 10:18:06 PM
That's the 'norm' in nearly all dome/retractable roof ball parks.

I recall Prince Fielder's first inside the park home run at the Metrodome was similar, he pounded it off the roof (speaker) and Lew Ford lost track of it and it landed way behind him, and Prince barreled around the bases easily beating the throw.   just don't see it happen much in high leverage games.   Though I was at that other game (at Miller Park) when Craig Counsel dove and caught a ball that hit the roof truss vs the Phillies.  I think Werth hit that one.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: 847badgerfan on October 06, 2026, 06:44:09 AM
Sox have been fun to watch so far. Seems like they are having a great time winning.

Easy path so far, for sure. Next round things get real.
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: MarqHusker on October 06, 2026, 11:39:36 AM
Game intensity building in these respective series. 
Title: Re: 2026 MLB Thread
Post by: FearlessF on October 06, 2026, 11:40:57 AM
I'll be watching more going forward