header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Matt Brown's yeoman's effort (top 100 games)

(Read 6092 times)

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Matt Brown's yeoman's effort (top 100 games)
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:33:29 PM »
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/244707972/best-100-college-football-games-ever-part-4

Matt Brown (Sports on Earth) did a good deed at attempting to put together a list of the top 100 games in college football history.   He did his best to track down videos (you tube) of a few hundred games in an effort to narrow it down, with pretty decent summaries of each.  Definitely worth flipping through.

He revealed his top 25 today.  I guess I'm not as enamored with this past year's Bama v Clemson game as others.  Great final quarter, no doubt.  Very pleased to see co#18 (BC at ND '93) get the love though.  That game was amazing.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Matt Brown's yeoman's effort (top 100 games)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »
I need a full time job like that
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Geolion91

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 08:02:40 AM »
Kind of surprised that the Stanford - Cal game didn't rank closer to the top

Glad to see Penn State - Miami make the top 10.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »
That's something that needs to be sat down with, particularly to sift through the videos.

So for now I just skimmed for MSU games.  I think the botched punt game should be higher.  For games with crazy endings, the whole game was actually very entertaining.  I would think that would be a top 25.

I'm surprised the Braylon game wasn't on there, coming back from 27-10 midway through the 4th, winning in 3OT.  Figured that would be on there somewhere.

I agree that it's tough to figure out what to do with the '06 MSU-NW game.  It's the largest comeback in college football history.  But it was a meaningless late October game between two bad teams.  Well a bad MSU team, and mediocre Northwestern team.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 08:09:26 AM »
Kind of surprised that the Stanford - Cal game didn't rank closer to the top

Glad to see Penn State - Miami make the top 10.
I think combined with the '15 UM-MSU ranking, he was not overly swayed by final plays.  I can't speak to how good the rest of that game was.  I think we disproportionately view the greatest of games remembered by single plays simply because those are easy to show in quick replays for years to follow.

Geolion91

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »
True, but "The Play" has become a college football legend.  That may be the big reason it made it to the top 25 to begin with.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 08:15:04 AM »
True, but "The Play" has become a college football legend.  That may be the big reason it made it to the top 25 to begin with.
Yeah, it's on there for one play, but he's not going to put it above what he truly believes for better overall games, simply because it produced a better, packagable highlight.

Geolion91

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 08:22:44 AM »
My post was good you quoted it twice!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 08:23:29 AM »
My post was good you quoted it twice!
I'm having some technical issues with the site this morning.  I had to re-post the movie poll multiple times before it showed up right

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.