header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Boomer Sooner

(Read 27868 times)

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
Re: Boomer Sooner
« Reply #182 on: December 27, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
Barry knows a thing or two.  OU fans have always appreciated Nebraska fans.
Play Like a Champion Today

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: December 27, 2017, 09:21:53 PM »
most of us Huskers like ol Barry

likeable sort , even though he beat ya nearly every danged season
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »
Baker Mayfield can be the greatest Sooner of them all
By Guerin Emig
Tulsa World
Dec 30, 2017
Updated 9 hrs ago

LOS ANGELES — Many of you will go to your graves asserting Lee Roy Selmon is the best Oklahoma Sooner there ever was. Can’t blame you for that.

He was a gargantuan player during OU’s most romantic era, a defensive lineman capable of swallowing offenses by himself at a time the back-to-back national champion Sooners seemed to grow bigger than their game.

Selmon also happened to be a graceful man from a beautiful family of proud, humble Oklahoma roots. That helps preserve his aura 40 years later. It helps secure his legacy.

Baker Mayfield is not graceful. He is from Austin, Texas, of all places. His back story isn’t as endearingly simple as Selmon’s was. He plays at a time the Sooners are very, very good, but an 80-yard drive from the program’s mid-70s gold standard.

Remove circumstances and bias, though, and something astonishing crystallizes: Mayfield is two wins from supplanting Selmon as the greatest Sooner of them all.

He must beat Georgia in Monday’s Rose Bowl, then Clemson or Alabama in the national championship Jan. 8. Otherwise the mere suggestion is pointless.

A reporter at OU’s Rose Bowl media day appearance Saturday raised the best-ever possibility, to which Mayfield said: “It’s pretty crazy. The thing for me is, and we talk about it all the time, hanging a banner in our indoor facility. And the big one would be a national title banner. I’m not worried about the statue (the Heisman Trophy). I came back to win the big banner.”

Mayfield knows a quarterback’s legacy is hitched to wins. Without the ultimate victory, a national title, Mayfield’s place in OU history is regal, but not worthy of Selmon’s. He is like Sam Bradford, Jason White and Billy Sims, with their Heismans and multiple conference rings and make-believe career statistics, but lacking a grand prize.

Actually, Mayfield has risen above Bradford, White and Sims. He is beyond Steve Owens, Adrian Peterson, Brian Bosworth and Bud Wilkinson-era pillars Billy Vessels and Jerry Tubbs. Monday’s Rose Bowl isn’t going to change the fact that at worst, Mayfield is the second-best Sooner to play on Owen Field.

As prolific as those aforementioned legends were, none meant more to his team, or to any one OU season, than Mayfield has meant to the Sooners in 2017.

He decided some games with moments of inspiration, like when his 59-yard strike to Mark Andrews carried the exhausted Sooners across the finish line against Texas, or his 48-yarder to Jeff Badet buried troublesome Baylor. He decided others with extended brilliance, as at Ohio State and Oklahoma State.

Mayfield had the best first half a Sooner played all year in OU’s initial win over TCU. He had the best second half to rally his team at Kansas State.

This was his encore to 2015 and ’16 seasons in which he went 22-4 as OU’s starting quarterback, captured a Sugar Bowl and back-to-back Big 12 championships, won national awards and set national records.

This was one season after OU offensive detenators Samaje Perine, Joe Mixon and Dede Westbrook moved on to the NFL. This was one season after Bob Stoops, with more wins than any coach in OU history, turned the program over to Lincoln Riley, the offensive coordinator who had never been a head coach.

The Sooners still had Mayfield. It was all going to fall on him.

He had to distribute the ball to unproven teammates and instill confidence in unseasoned ones. He had to influence practice during the week and games on Saturdays. No player affected the locker room so obviously. No player spoke on behalf of the team so authoritatively.

Mayfield didn’t get it right every time. OU lost a game to Iowa State. He lost respect at Kansas.

Selmon once lost to Kansas, but you never worried about respect. He commanded it with a blend of physical strength and personal esteem.

He also never had the ball in his hands for half a game. He had his brother, Dewey, lined up next to him. He had Rod Shoate and Jimbo Elrod flanking him. He had Joe Washington, Steve Davis and Tinker Owens playing offense for him.

That array of teammates drew attention from Selmon. A sassy young coach drew even more. Selmon had Barry Switzer.

Lincoln Riley might be Switzer one day. He might stockpile blue-chippers and turn his program into a talent mill. He’s not there yet, however. He wasn’t there this season.

He did have Mayfield, though. The day Riley stripped Mayfield’s captaincy over the Kansas antics, he cried over him.

It was a sign of a unique player-coach relationship, and a metaphor for the weight Mayfield carried across this season. Fans will be the ones shedding tears as soon as the season ends and Mayfield isn’t winning games for them any longer.

If that doesn’t happen until late the night of Jan. 8, and Mayfield has just won again to give his program its latest national championship, at least it will be a worthy cry. For it will come after they just cheered for the best player in Oklahoma Sooners history one last time.

For BC, who thinks Mayfield is trash rejected by all the Texas schools, I quote Psalm 118:22.  "The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner."
Play Like a Champion Today

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »
Amen
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »
Loved the Psalm, CW - I'm sure BC will too - lol.

I'll admit that I can't quite get my head around the idea that Baker even has the possibility of being better than or even on par with Lee Roy Selmon, in all-time Sooner sense.

I suppose though that if he does carry the Sooners to victory Monday, and then if that happens he goes on and carries them to the national title a week later that I'd have to adjust my thinking.  Right now he's still just one of many great Sooners for me, maybe in the top 20 or even top 10 alltime in OU history.  If OU doesn't win tomorrow, that's where he'll stay, even with the Heisman.  

I guess I'm really tired of the "almost NC" Sooners.  The near great era of Stoops.  Almost.  Almost.  Almost.  One NC granted, but that was at the very beginning and then it was followed by 16 years of almost.  No doubt Stoops was a great coach - only three seasons in which OU lost as many as 5 games, and usually they were a 2-3 loss team.  Can't argue with that kind of consistent success, and also the high ethical standard Bob brought to OU that Barry never had.  But never the big trophy at the end.

Enough of almost.  We need to go all the way again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 01:34:45 PM by CousinFreddie »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »
For BC, who thinks Mayfield is trash rejected by all the Texas schools, I quote Psalm 118:22.  "The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner."
So I guess we've put to rest this Mayfield hoopla.  Not even close to the best Sooner of all time.  A gritty and fiery competitor who overcame a lot of odds by proving himself - that is undeniable.
He grew up in Austin and became anti-Longhorn.  He was one of "those" kind.
I'm glad he served you well.  I think you can check him out in the Senior Bowl.  Shoot, in a few short years, just catch him at his car lot or insurance agency in Norman.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2018, 01:04:31 PM »
Weird post BC.  Baker didn't play defense, which is where OU lost this game. 

In yesterday's game, one could rightly throw stones at the Sooner defense, the Sooner kicking game, or the Sooner play calling in OT, but not at Baker Mayfield.  He played very well, and as always was highly durable even after taking a really tough hit with a knee to the rib cage about halfway through the game, and the only evidence of the flu was in some of his passes which weren't quite as spot on as normal, but still they were pretty good overall as he completed 23 of 35.  He ended up with two TD passes, some great running plays, and even a TD reception on one of the most impressive plays I've seen in a long time.

Overall Baker did fine.  While the fact that he couldn't get the team to a NC does mean he won't be considered one of the greatest Sooner players ever, still yet he ends his tenure at OU with two conference championships, a Heisman, a great Sugar bowl win, and a handful of school records, and so he lands up there pretty high on the list.  I'd say roughly about where Colt McCoy is on the Texas list.

Anyway, OU has some work to do to replace Baker now, and to do something about the defense which had some serious lapses yesterday.  Nevertheless, they played very respectably well against a talented Georgia team with a very good coaching staff.  

I'm overall proud of OU for a great 12-2 season, and likely another top 5 finish, and look forward to 2018.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:06:50 PM by CousinFreddie »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2018, 02:16:13 PM »
Weird post BC.  Baker didn't play defense, which is where OU lost this game.
Baker played well yesterday.  Nowhere did I fault him.  I fault special teams and then some defense.
Just saying Baker had a good run, and his football story is written.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2018, 02:30:37 PM »
Great game, the best one of the bowl season for me. 
Congrats to the Sooner fans on a successful season, Heisman trophy, and Rose Bowl/Playoff appearance.    Those are things that fans of every team would be happy about, even with taking a loss at the end.     

WC4E

• Walk On
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: January 02, 2018, 04:13:19 PM »
Condolences, Sooners.  That was a helluva ballgame.

Remember being down 21-7 in Manhattan earlier this season?  Big leads aren't very safe when you guys are involved, in either direction.

Kirby Smart lip reading went like "BoomMother(firetruck)ers" if I have any skill at the craft.  My daughter argued there was not a separate M motion, but say it to yourself and you'll agree with me.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: January 02, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »
Condolences, Sooners.  That was a helluva ballgame.
I'm not sure if condolences are necessary.
The Sooners around here sound like they should be in a DirecTV commercial or something.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2018, 06:39:42 PM »
Hmmm, I could be a DirecTV star??  Wow, sounds good, maybe, except actually I have no idea what that means

But then again, BC is gonna BC, lol

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: January 02, 2018, 06:47:27 PM »
Condolences, Sooners.  That was a helluva ballgame.

Remember being down 21-7 in Manhattan earlier this season?  Big leads aren't very safe when you guys are involved, in either direction.
Yes, it was a crazy year for sure - lots of white knuckle adventures.
Anyway, thanks amigo, and best of luck on all your various KSU sports fronts (KSU vs OU should be good in hoops, coming up later this month) as well as daddio fronts (three daughters, do I have it right? - wow, makes me think of that 38 Special song, Hold On Loosely, in a parental rather than a couple sense I mean ... actually that song is a pretty good description of life in general)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »
I even heard from old purple cat fan, SkiCat

he's just too derned busy to login here, but he seems to be in good spirits

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.