header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: NFL and paying players

(Read 9591 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: NFL and paying players
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »
I have a dire prediction that inside 15 years, college football as we know it will be a thing of the past.
I've been saying that for 15 years. About 3 years after I started posting "here".
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 08:49:11 AM »
How many of the best collegiate players are serious students?  Should they not be in the minors, or the NFL, now?  Even Calvin Johnson, by all accounts a serious student, went pro in 3.

The minors would pay them some to play and they wouldn't have all that class stuff.  

I think CFB will look like college baseball today, with a binary system developing.  

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 11:07:53 AM »
Colleges have done a good job using their free labor to make a ton of money. They've done a horrible job keeping their players' well being as an important part of the collegiate experience.  They should have gotten ahead of this, but too many dollar signs in their eyes.

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2019, 11:09:04 AM »
Isn't it the athletic departments making this money?  I realize some donate to the academic parts.  And both are "nonprofit".

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »
Isn't it the athletic departments making this money?  I realize some donate to the academic parts.  And both are "nonprofit".
Certainly, a lot goes to athletic department. Ohio State has the nicest football facilities in Ohio, a state that has two professional teams. Players' money also goes towards creating six figure jobs for bowl executives, NCAA execs, and many others.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.