header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Texas - OU Wrap Up

(Read 8766 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Texas - OU Wrap Up
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:19:08 AM »
Congratulations, Cousin Fred, Thumper, CW Sooner and any other lurking fan of the Sooners.  Your team played well.  Riley and Mayfield did a good job of finding the uncovered TE.

About 3/4ths of the way through the first quarter, the Astros game started so I spent the rest of the afternoon toggling between the two.  When the Horns got down 20-0, I was tempted to keep it on the Stros but Herman proved he is no Mack Brown.  The Horns battled back.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Texas - OU Wrap Up
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »
Not to disagree, but Herman did just what Mack use to do in this game.  Start off slow. 

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 10:53:41 AM »
Herman proved he is no Mack Brown.
However, if Herman would like to give us an NC and a decade of 10-win seasons, I will not object.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 02:00:56 PM »
Yup, congrats to Freddy and any other Sooners around, and best of luck the rest of the season.

From Texas' perspective, there are certainly some positives to be taken.  Losing always sucks, losing to a hated rival even moreso, but coming back from 20-down was a step in the right direction.

Overall though, we still have a lot of problems, on both sides of the ball.  O-line continues to be atrocious and with the injuries there's just no light at the end of the tunnel for this current season.  The running backs continue to be mysteriously absent, and we're going to get both QBs killed if we continue to try to run them this way.  The defensive front 7 is pretty good, but the horror that is our defensive backfield continues to offset it.

Seeing a path to 7 wins is tough, it would assume beating both Tech and WVU, along with Kansas and Baylor.   6-6 is looking like about what we're going to get this season.  I guess that's improvement over last year, but it's less than I was hoping for.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 02:18:40 PM »
Seeing a path to 7 wins is tough, it would assume beating both Tech and WVU, along with Kansas and Baylor.
Ok State?  TCU?
I still say we will win one that we're not supposed to.  We almost did Saturday.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:27:22 PM »
Overall though, we still have a lot of problems, on both sides of the ball.  O-line continues to be atrocious and with the injuries there's just no light at the end of the tunnel for this current season.  The running backs continue to be mysteriously absent, and we're going to get both QBs killed if we continue to try to run them this way.  The defensive front 7 is pretty good, but the horror that is our defensive backfield continues to offset it.
Nutshell.

Don't forget punt returns.  And field goals.
But apart from the porous injured o-line, the misuse of running backs, the abuse of QBs, the DB snafus, the punt return fiascoes and a field goal kicker who can't be relied on, what - if anything - is wrong with this team?

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »
Don't forget punt returns.  And field goals.
But apart from the porous injured o-line, the misuse of running backs, the abuse of QBs, the DB snafus, the punt return fiascoes and a field goal kicker who can't be relied on, what - if anything - is wrong with this team?
I don't think I like his tone.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 03:28:05 PM »
Thanks guys.  Any win over Texas is a good win, so I was happy with the Sooners.  It’s a bit disconcerting though to have a third straight game in which the Sooners jump out to a big lead, but can’t put it away.  Coaches need to make better adjustments, and perhaps the offense needs to keep a few more cards up their sleeves.

Hard to fault the defense though.  Ehlinger’s a stud and hard to defend, but our Dline and linebackers managed to get in his face a lot and disrupt things, and overcome the tendency of the Texas Oline to hold repeatedly without getting flagged, and kept the running backs bottled up, and the receivers mostly well covered.

On Texas side, you’ve got a budding star QB.  That guy has a lot of tools and also field sense.  Like him much better than Buechele.  But he needs a supporting cast.

Texas defense allowed some big running plays early and that really allowed OU to establish things, including springing the passing game. I always associate Texas as very stout against the run so that
was a surprise.  Your guys gave up, what, only ten yards rushing to ISU?  Yet OU had 174 yards rushing including 96 by Sermon alone.  

Going forward, Ehlinger’s the real deal and if Texas finds a way to build an offense around him, look out.  And he needs to run less and play more like Baker for whom running is only a last resort.  He’s definitely got the field sense and the accurate arm - like that nifty play he had on your last TD drive down in OU territory for example - I thought we had him wrapped up but instead he found Brewer(?) for a big gain close to the goal line.  That set up his TD run (but again it’d be better if he had an RB to handoff to for that - too many rushing yards for your QB).

I think Texas will be back to bowling this year.

For OU, I see this as another 2-3 loss season unless they figure out a way to sustain the early momentum they often establish in a game.  Teams like TCU and Okie State are going to be tough tests for the Sooners - they’re going to have to score a lot against those types of teams.

Anyway great game Texas.  Impressive comeback to make it super tense in the 4th Q.  I’m always impressed by stuff like that, whether it’s my own team or the opponent.  Good luck the rest of the season.  Beat the Pokes!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:31:25 PM by CousinFreddie »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 03:41:34 PM »
Teams like TCU and Okie State are going to be tough tests for the Sooners
The Sooners always beat the Pokes, no matter if the Pokes have the better team.  You guys just simply have the big dog - little dog hypnosis on the Pokes.  I expect nothing different this year.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 05:10:56 PM »
...It’s a bit disconcerting though to have a third straight game in which the Sooners jump out to a big lead, but can’t put it away...
Dammit Fred, I didn't think of it until just now but that's the same way you were in 1999.  I seem to remember your Sooners blowing big leads to Texas and Notre Dame.
Stoops' first year.  Riley's first year.
Hope this doesn't mean next year will be like 2000.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »
How ‘bout this primo?  Both Oklahoma and Texas each win a NC sometime in the next six years.  And if the ECFGs are listening, I’ll add, pretty please, with lots of sugar (and maybe an orange or a rose) on top, with some corny dogs thrown in for good measure.

A repeat of the Stoops v Brown era would be mighty fine.  And for good measure a few more OU and Texas beatings of all those cocky super superior conference teams (like Bama and A&M, which are both owned by Oklahoma and Texas all time of course) along the way would be icing on the old proverbial cake.  

The weird thing is that back in 1999 I never thought I’d cheer for Texas anywhere, anyhow, anytime.  But then after being in the same conference awhile and getting to know all you fokkers here on the porch etc, I found myself actually cheering for Texas in the 2005 and 2009 nc games.  That’s truly keeping it weird for this Okie.

1999??  Damn that’s a while ago.  I bet we thought we were already old THEN - heh

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 08:04:19 AM »
Ok State?  TCU?
I still say we will win one that we're not supposed to.  We almost did Saturday.
We often play well above our heads against OU when we're the decided underdog.  All three of Charlie's games against them were hard-fought, and even included a win, while playing far superior OU teams.  But despite that, those teams were still complete disasters against the majority of the rest of the schedule.

oSu and TCU are certain losses IMO.  Pretty ugly ones too, I'd guess we lose this weekend by 3 TDs.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:12:36 AM by utee94 »

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 09:22:59 AM »
We often play well above our heads against OU when we're the decided underdog.  All three of Charlie's games against them were hard-fought, and even included a win, while playing far superior OU teams.  But despite that, those teams were still complete disasters against the majority of the rest of the schedule.

oSu and TCU are certain losses IMO.  Pretty ugly ones too, I'd guess we lose this weekend by 3 TDs.
so youre giving me UT and 21 pts?
Youre on
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 09:35:59 AM »
No, I don't gamble on sports, and even if I did, I'd never gamble on the Longhorns.

You may certainly believe what you choose to believe.  I'll believe what I choose to believe.

That's kind of the way this stuff works.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.