header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018 Coaching Carousel

(Read 28787 times)

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Liked:
Re: 2018 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
We chatted once about what it takes to become a P5 head coach, and it's usually a long slog, and most never make it.

It may not be far from becoming a major leaguer, a lot of very talented players never get past AAA.  A dedicated person could labor many years and perhaps become a QB coach or S&C coach at say Kansas and never get any higher.

You need some kind of a break, or a name, and the former can be random.

MaximumSam

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
Mack Brown supposedly hiring Greg (GERG) Robinson to be his defensive coordinator.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aftLWq1L09M

ALA2262

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2018, 11:52:07 AM »
The Gus Bus has crashed. But, as the majority of wrecks, it happened near home. Never got out of Auburn so they are still stuck with him.:)

LetsGoPeay

• Red Shirt
  • Go Hoosiers!
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2018, 12:51:04 PM »
With Brohm, I have to think there are going to be better opportunities for him than Louisville, even with it being home.

1. There are strong possibilities that USC, FSU, Auburn, or even Ohio State could be open soon. 
2. He's building a good program in the weaker side of the Big Ten. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if next year they win 9-11 games and are in the championship game. 
3. It doesn't matter who is doing what anywhere in the ACC right now with Clemson doing what they're doing.
4. Louisville is a mess in just about every way right now.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »
who will purdue have as their QB next year?   

I don't disagree that Purdue has a real shot at the west.    Wisconsin should rebound.  Iowa will be Iowa and I'd suspect NW will take a step back.   UNL should be better (they'll have 6-7 wins) but I don't see them competing for the west. 

fezzador

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »
I don't think it really matters who plays QB at Purdue next year.  They just need to get the ball in Moore's hands - receiver, RB, K/P returner, heck maybe even QB for a couple of trick plays.  The kid is special.  If they can avoid another slow start, they should be a legitimate player in the West.

I think Northwestern winning the West was a matter of the stars aligning rather than them being significantly better than anyone else.  I have a hard time seeing them repeat - they could even be out of the race by early October (they start off with MSU, Wisconsin and Nebraska and then after a BYE, they get Ohio State on 10/19).  I think it's likely they're facing a 1-3 conference start.  Thankfully the back half of the slate is easier (Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois) so with UMass squeezed in there, they should at least go 6-6 and sneak into a bowl.

If Wisconsin stays healthy, I'd guess they'd be the division favorite by reputation.  I also have a hard time seeing them going 7-5 in back-to-back seasons. 

Minnesota and Nebraska will continue to improve.  UNL in particular will be a tough out - for now I think they'll only go as far as Adrian Martinez can take them, but 8-4 and a Florida or Holiday Bowl is certainly attainable.  Minnesota beat Purdue and Wisconsin to find themselves bowl eligible - now the question is, was that a fluke or are they to be taken seriously next year?

Iowa has the pieces to make a West title run, but whether or not they will remains to be seen.  If the running game continues to struggle, and if the QB play continues to be erratic, it's going to be tough to beat anyone with a pulse.

Illinois will probably still be Illinois.  They should finally have some experience, but I have no idea if that'll translate to wins or not.  Lovie will probably need to go 5-7 at least to keep his job, but it wouldn't shock me if it's a bowl-or-bust situation.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2018, 02:12:22 PM »
With Brohm, I have to think there are going to be better opportunities for him than Louisville, even with it being home.

2. He's building a good program in the weaker side of the Big Ten. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if next year they win 9-11 games and are in the championship game.
They may do it but can't depend on sneaking up/surprising anyone.Definitely shakes things up a bit and that's always a good thing
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2018, 02:39:27 PM »
Sounds like Texas Tech is close to hiring Utah State's Matt Wells.

fezzador

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
The Gus Bus has crashed. But, as the majority of wrecks, it happened near home. Never got out of Auburn so they are still stuck with him.:)
Not sure if this was fake news or not, but I remember a letter from a former AD being leaked saying they were trying to make Auburn "the" team in Alabama.
All I can say about that is, they'd have better luck trying to paint Georgia orange and blue.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
Sounds like Texas Tech is close to hiring Utah State's Matt Wells.
Suppose to be an up and comer too isn't he?Guess the Pirate isn't headed back to Lubbock after all
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: November 29, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
Suppose to be an up and comer too isn't he?Guess the Pirate isn't headed back to Lubbock after all
Took over for Andersen when the latter took the UW job. He's a good coach. 
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: November 29, 2018, 03:31:30 PM »
Took over for Andersen when the latter took the UW job. He's a good coach.
He’s a good reminder of the value of patience. 
Won 19 games his first two years. Fell to 6-7, 3-9. Was given the chance and she 6-7, 10-2z 

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: November 29, 2018, 03:33:56 PM »

who will purdue have as their QB next year?  

I don't disagree that Purdue has a real shot at the west.    Wisconsin should rebound.  Iowa will be Iowa and I'd suspect NW will take a step back.   UNL should be better (they'll have 6-7 wins) but I don't see them competing for the west.
I think the big year for Purdue is 2020. I think they're still a young team, and don't have quite the talent on defense that they need. That talent comes in the 2019 recruiting class, but expecting their DL recruits to be ready on day 1 is hard. That's a position that requires a year or so in a B1G S&C program. I think 9 wins might be the ceiling in 2019, with about 7-8 being the "expectation". Need to evaluate the schedule though.
As for QB, it's pretty wide open. You have Sindelar who has shown some flashes in the past, and who will be a senior. But you also have Nick Sipe and Jack Plummer on campus, and a good QB out of CA named Paul Piferi who will be a true frosh but is reportedly enrolling in January, so he'll have more time than most true frosh to get acclimated. Pretty sure that every one of them is one of those "prototypical" QB's with a cannon for an arm and is known as a pocket passer. Brohm didn't shoot for dual-threat guys.
However, I'll disagree with @fezzador that it doesn't matter. To make the Brohmfense go, it really requires the ability to put the ball down the field with accuracy. Defenses have been keying on Moore, and you need to be able to make them pay. Purdue graduates two starting outside receivers [Zico and Terry Wright], but has Kory Taylor and Amad Anderson as replacements already on campus. 2019 they'll be bringing in Milton Wright, a 4* out of KY, and the tea leaves are relatively promising on 4* David Bell. 
If you have a QB who can make them pay for doubling Moore by burning them over the top, then it opens up everything for this offense. I think every one of the QBs I mention above have the arm strength that Brohm wants [one of Blough's limits quite frankly], but it's a question of which one has the accuracy, touch, and decision-making to win the job.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: November 29, 2018, 03:37:27 PM »
Kingsbury hired as OC by USC

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.