header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Boomer Sooner

(Read 27868 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Boomer Sooner
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2017, 02:37:24 PM »
Looks like Kansas just offered up some validation for Baker's delinquency - so that Heisman may be back in play after all.

Kansas - refusing to shake a known azzwipe's hand = lose captain status
Oklahoma - manhandling your crab patch while shouting obscenities on TV = lose captain status

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21505885/three-kansas-jayhawks-lose-captain-title-snubbing-oklahoma-baker-mayfield

Way to take one for the conference Rock Chalk.  Now let's see if Patterson's Frogs take a dive in the championship.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2017, 11:26:34 PM »
I think it's cute that anyone here thinks the Heisman has anything to do with Baker's "numbers." 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2017, 11:53:05 PM »
it's derned delightful
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »
OU 45 WVU 10 H

Not a bad start ...

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2017, 10:43:30 PM »
Kliff never gave him the reigns at Tech because he was a punk.  Call that Kliff's loss or whatever, but since Mahomes came shortly thereafter, Baker wasn't missed anyway.

Texas Tech is more of a personal school, whereas OU is a football team with some buildings, and a bunch of free ride dubious national merit scholars just so they can have something to brag about. Anyone at Tech will tell you Baker was a douche.  Kids actually had classes with him.  I doubt any OU students have ever even met him.

Baker has surprised me with his success at OU.  I never expected him to win the starting job, much less play well.  Ok, so he's the goods.  But Fran Tarkenton's don't succeed any more at the next level, so this is the last we will likely be hearing of our short little crotch tugging friend.

We'll see about the Heisman.  There's still some football to be played, stats to be compiled, and more opportunities to punk-out and yank one's undercarriage.

I don't see him getting it.
First of all, crotch-grabbing and F-bombing are unacceptable.  It is true that the KU players were deliberately provocative, starting with the refusal to shake hands and continuing with late hits on Mayfield that should have resulted in at least one ejection, but that didn't mean that Mayfield had to respond the way he did.  He was wrong, he had to be punished, and he was punished.  As Fred said above, there is some jackassery in Baker Mayfield.  But his teammates wouldn't be willing to run through a brick wall for him if that's all there was.

I don't post much here, but I scroll through to get a good laugh at how nearly every thread turns into a bunch of Longhorn navel-gazing, and I sort of enjoy observing your plucky fight against the Austin conventional wisdom from your lonely Brownwood outpost.  But what you posted above is the biggest load of poo that I have read lately, other than the sports mediots opining that Alabama should still be in the playoff after losing to Auburn and finishing as a 1-loss non-division champ.

You may know Texas Tech.  Possibly.  But you don't know the University of Oklahoma.  And the rest of your don't-know-what-you're-talking-about post starts from, but goes way beyond, that.

Please continue tilting at the Austin windmills.  There is great entertainment value there.
Play Like a Champion Today

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2017, 01:09:41 AM »
Ha - you go CW!

Yes BC is a Sooner hater who likes to lob predictable anti-OU fastballs over the middle of the plate. It’s like batting practice.

eg in his view only the Kansas coaches get credit for reprimanding theun sportsmanship of KU players, not Coach Riley who took similar steps, and I might add, with much more at stake.  KU: highlighted; Riley: overlooked.

It’s the one sided view of a petty hater.  The fact that OU’s most recent Heisman recipient was an Oklahoman who had greater character than their most recent Texan who gained a Heisman for UT: overlooked.  The fact that Baker’s acting up at times and is playing for OU: highlighted.  The fact that Baker is a great on the field leader and motivator for his teammates, and OU fans love him: overlooked.  The fact that Baker didn’t do well at Texas Tech: highlighted.

And so forth.  It’s so predictable.  And it’s so full of shit.  Brown county.  Uh huh.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2017, 01:25:05 AM »
you guys need to calm down and quit letting BC get to you

hell before long youll be grabbing your crutch and shouting

BTW watching todays game between OU and WV was a hoot

It looked like Mayfield behaved himself and I expect him to get the award
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »
BTW watching todays game between OU and WV was a hoot

It looked like Mayfield behaved himself and I expect him to get the award
Thanks and I agree 320.  OU really rolled.  And I love how well Murray plays too.

So time for the Sooners to do it again vs TCU and nail down the conference title. That would be such a major achievement for Coach Riley in his first year.  

Very impressive how well he’s handled things.  Gotta give Stoops and OU credit - they handled the HC transition very well.

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
Yep, it has been a great season for Sooners so far and so much to play for still.  Every game is writing new OU history and Baker has put on an amazing display every game.  Next up, the CCG.  I hope it continues to be kind to the Sooners and they will be the first 3 peat champions.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2017, 09:20:52 AM »
very nice first season by Riley

corngrats
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »
While other programs search for a coach, OU savors the security of Lincoln Riley
By Bill Haisten Tulsa World
Nov 26, 2017 Updated 9 hrs ago

NORMAN — Christmas cards would be conventional, but sympathy cards might be more appropriate for fans of Tennessee, Nebraska, Arkansas and Florida.

While the athletic directors at those schools have started the incredibly high-pressure process of identifying a new head football coach, Joe Castiglione’s stress level Saturday was somewhere below none.

By extension, there was no stress for fans of the Oklahoma Sooners.

While high-profile coaching searches are prevalent, and while so many fans are stuck with miserable circumstances, this might be a good time to revisit a summer quote from Castiglione, Oklahoma’s athletic director: “One of the reasons Bob felt confident about his decision was that he felt he was leaving the program in good shape.”

Bob is Bob Stoops, who on June 7 retired from his 18-season hold on OU’s head-coaching position.

The first-year overseer of Sooners football is Lincoln Riley. With a 59-31 thumping of West Virginia in Baker Mayfield’s final run on the Owen Field grass, the 34-year-old Riley has become the first rookie coach in OU history to record 11 victories.

He’ll get a chance for No. 12 next week, when the Sooners are rematched with TCU in the Big 12 Championship game at Arlington, Texas. He should get a chance for a 13th, and maybe a 14th, during the College Football Playoff in January.

When the decision was made to promote Riley from offensive coordinator, no one at the university knew so many A-list jobs would be available this year.

If Stoops had chosen to coach for a few more seasons, Riley still would be a coordinator and probably an in-demand candidate for significant, lucrative jobs.

When Stoops stunned Castiglione and Sooners fans with his retirement decision in June, the timing was right for Stoops — and, as it turns out, right for OU.

You can rest assured Tennessee, Nebraska, Arkansas and Florida would have considered Riley a strong candidate. Maybe the best candidate.

Instead, Riley is locked in as a University of Oklahoma commodity, and the 11-1 Sooners have benefited from a tremendously smooth transition.

As Riley took questions from media members Saturday, Castiglione watched from the back of the room.

“We knew Lincoln Riley was special,” Castiglione said. “Even after his first year (in 2015, when Riley was OU’s new coordinator), a few programs pursued him. After his second year, a few more programs pursued him.

“It was just a matter of time,” Castiglione added, before Riley might be presented with an offer he couldn’t refuse, so the university was compelled to give Riley a big raise and convey to him he was valued at a high level.

There was no coach-in-waiting designation, but, months before Stoops’ retirement, Castiglione and other OU decision-makers were in agreement Riley would become the next Sooners head man.

It was expected to happen eventually.

Not on June 7.

While the returning Mayfield was defined as elite, no sane person would have expected Oklahoma’s 2017 offense to get bigger yardage totals than the 2016 Sooners. Not after having lost two NFL running backs (Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon) and an NFL wide receiver (Dede Westbrook).

It wasn’t that long ago a 600-yard performance was rare. The 2000 Sooners (quarterbacked by Heisman Trophy runner-up Josh Heupel), the 2003 and 2004 Sooners (quarterbacked by Heisman recipient Jason White), and the 2008 Sooners (quarterbacked by Heisman recipient Sam Bradford) played 54 games and recorded 49 victories.

In those 54 games, OU reached the 600-yard mark only six times.

This is what Oklahoma has gotten offensively from a first-year head coach and a transfer quarterback: In advance of the Big 12 Championship assignment, the 2017 Sooners have totaled least 600 yards in seven games.

On Dec. 9, Mayfield will get the 2017 Heisman because his partnership with Riley has resulted in the greatest total-offense season in program history.

The updated OU average: 593.5 yards per game — the best such figure ever at OU.

At No. 2, as was pointed out by OU football historian Mike Brooks on Twitter, is the 1971 wishbone team that averaged 556.8 total yards. It’s amazing the ’71 Sooners have aged so well statistically. They completed only 38 passes all season.

The next three: the 2016 Sooners (554.8-yard average), the 2008 Sooners (547.9) and the 2015 Sooners (530.2).

Riley was the offensive mastermind and play-caller, and Mayfield was his quarterback, for three of the five most productive offenses in OU football history.

“Take a minute,” Castiglione said, “and let that sink in.”
Play Like a Champion Today

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2017, 02:47:31 PM »
And add in Murray waiting in the wings, and let that sink in even further.

Thanks for sharing that piece, Cdub

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2017, 01:32:16 PM »
Well whatever, I'm thinking Baker just exchanged grabbing a Heisman for grabbing his crotch.  Hope it felt good.

lol
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »
We'll see about the Heisman.  There's still some football to be played, stats to be compiled, and more opportunities to punk-out and yank one's undercarriage.

I don't see him getting it.
And yet ... he did.  #3 highest pct of votes in Heisman history. 
But you “not seeing” it ... hmmm ... does that suggest you really did go blind due to ... well ...you know

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.