header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Nebraska 2018 Season Thread

(Read 51687 times)

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
Nebraska 2018 Season Thread
« on: July 21, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »
just to get it started..
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:02:19 PM by ELA »

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Nebraska 2017 Season Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »
IMO, a third place finish in the west by Riley will probably mean he's on the hot seat.   Many many UNL fans want him gone now.  I'm not in that camp as I feel every coach should get 4-5 years minimum, but UNL's fanbase has been divided for years and I don't see that infighting reducing.  In fact, it's accelerating. 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 05:54:57 PM »
if he doesn't win 9 games, his seat should be hot

I think 2018 is his year, and I 'm sure Eichorst will give him that

but, IMO Riley needs to win 10 or 11 in 2018 and win the west in 2018
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:41:56 PM »
I haven't set foot in Nebraska in five years, so I'm not up to speed on how impatient fans may be w Riley, but I doubt the naysaying is as hot as it was when Billy C was showing his arse or even when Solich had fans divided.  I saw a bar fight set off over a Solich dispute.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »
obviously there are plenty of folks that were not/are not happy with the Riley choice

but, the naysaying was worse for Billy C. and Pelini, probably Frankie

Riley does everything off the field very well.  That buys him more slack than Pelini and Billy C. for sure

however blow out losses such as Ohio St and Iowa last season will not be tolerated - hence the new D coordinator.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 12:02:00 AM »
I saw a bar fight set off over a Solich dispute.

...wow, to be a fly on the wall. Do you remember much about the lead-up/discussion?

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 01:27:28 AM »
obviously there are plenty of folks that were not/are not happy with the Riley choice

Riley does everything off the field very well.  That buys him more slack than Pelini and Billy C. for sure

however blow out losses such as Ohio St and Iowa last season will not be tolerated - hence the new D coordinator.

I wasn't thrilled with the Riley hire either. You may recall I was all 'this is WCO 2.0' which I still think we are headed towards, which is such a 80s/90s nfl style that doesn't work in college, heck it doesn't really work anymore on Sundays.

I was most disgusted (thus far) with the loss at Illinois, the clock mgmt was abysmal, and probably the most embarrassing loss in my lifetime, the loss at Purdue,  indeed the lowest moment for Nebraska since a loss to Hawaii in the 1950s.  That game trumped any blowout loss to much superior opponents IMO.

Having said that, I was much more negative during the entirety of Billy C, I stopped going to games, I still haven't sent a nickel to the school since they canned Solich.

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 01:31:43 AM »
...wow, to be a fly on the wall. Do you remember much about the lead-up/discussion?

I was kind of near this dustup, at a bar in Omaha, I was with my Uncle and one of his friends,  it was the offseason, and one guy was all about,  'Nebraska catching up with the  times, everybody who is good at football throws the ball, you'll never win anything running the ball, etc. etc. '  The Solich supporter wasn't having any of it, I actually think it had more to do with some non-Solich related slight, and blah blah blah, they started shoving each other, and had a few inaccurate fists flying.  Broken up by other customers. 

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »
I was most disgusted (thus far) with the loss at Illinois, the clock mgmt was abysmal, and probably the most embarrassing loss in my lifetime, the loss at Purdue,  indeed the lowest moment for Nebraska since a loss to Hawaii in the 1950s.  That game trumped any blowout loss to much superior opponents IMO.

I guess Hazell has something to claim as credit... Other B1G teams losing to his Purdue squad becomes the "most embarrassing loss in [a fan's] lifetime" lol...

Granted, Nebraska and Illinois (x2!) were the only B1G teams to have the honor of losing to Hazell...

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »
I wasn't thrilled with the Riley hire either. You may recall I was all 'this is WCO 2.0' which I still think we are headed towards, which is such a 80s/90s nfl style that doesn't work in college, heck it doesn't really work anymore on Sundays.

Having said that, I was much more negative during the entirety of Billy C, I stopped going to games, I still haven't sent a nickel to the school since they canned Solich.

I agree with all of that.  I didn't stop going to games during the Billy C. era, but it was tough.

Yes, Illinois and Purdue losses cause me to really doubt Riley is the right guy.  But, I certainly support Riley and hope that I am wrong.  I will give Riley until next season to prove me wrong.  If he doesn't win 10 games and the division in 2018 I will be ready for a new coach.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Nebraska 2017 Preseason Thread
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
Coach Riley does a helluva interview

CatsbyAZ

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 07:16:18 AM »

For as much as Pelini won (66-27), and yet frustrated the fan base, does anybody wish they'd just given him another year while the AD spent the extra time setting up a better hire than Riley? If we're already talking about Riley on the hot seat I would've rather had one more year of fun with the ups & downs of Bo. I say that not as a Nebraska fan but as a general college football fan who knew an otherwise predictable weekend of college football could be spiced up by tuning into the Nebraska game. Didn't matter against who - Mich St '12, McNeese '14, Wyoming '13, Michigan '13, Northwestern '14, Wisconsin '12, on and on.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »
when Bo started, UNL fans were basically giving him parades in the street.   Riley was not accepted by a loud minority from the beginning.   They are not the same.  It wasn't until Bo started blasting fans, meeting with a blogger at the cornhusker hotel prior to the texas game and chewing him out, kept losing his cool and couldn't stop the run vs Wisky that fans turned.   Those first couple years, he could do no wrong and fans really believed he could turn 2 stars into 6 stars.  again, not the same at all..

And yes, Billy C was worse at this point.  Riley does a lot of little things fans have appreciated.  I just see the volume increasing and the playbook of "how to run out a coach" being leveraged. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:30:55 AM by Entropy »

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.