header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Big 12 Week 3

(Read 5063 times)

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Big 12 Week 3
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »
Baylor @ Duke - Looks like another loss for the Bears.
ISU @ Akron - ISU needs to rebound from last week.  They should handle the Zips
Kansas @ Ohio - Doesn't look good for the Jayhawks
KSU @ Vandy -  KSU is favored over a 2-0 SEC team
Oklahoma v Tulane - Darn PPV game.  Not good for a cord cutting Sooner fan.
OSU @ Pitt -  Pokes are big favorites over an ACC team.
Texas @ USC - C'mon Horns!
TCU v SMU - TCU's highly ranked defense vs SMU's offense.  Should be entertaining and a TCU win.
Texas Tech v Arizona State - Tech is favored over a PAC-12 team.
WVU v Delaware State - Should be an easy one for the 'eers.

Not a bad weekend.  Big 12 plays 5 Power 5 teams and is favored in 3 of them.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
Re: Big 12 Week 3
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:16:07 PM »
I gotta tell ya, I didn't think the Bears would get this ugly this fast.

Right now, they're playing with a walk-on secondary. Yes, a couple of players have returned, and some have had experience in past seasons, but essentially there's no depth there. That obviously limits pass coverage, but it also completely eliminates your ability to blitz or apply pressure creatively. The new players are trying their best, but they're liable to be standing right next to a receiver while he catches a 15 yard pass. They'll tackle him immediately, but they can't seem to do anything about the completion.

I've been puzzled, thus far, as to why the Bears have been playing Anu Solomon at QB - not because he's a poor choice, but because they show no attempt to use his legs as part of the rushing attack except for off-script scrambling (he's good at that). He's a good-but-not-great passer, but I think leaving his running skills off the game plan has made life unnecessarily difficult for an already outgunned makeshift OL.

They're going with Zach Smith this week. He should be a more smooth passer, but will virtually eliminate the threat of a scramble. I'm not sure how aggressive the Blue Devil defense is, but I'm not liking his survivability odds against the Sooners next week at all!

Baylor needs some wins this season to provide a plausible improvement scenario and keep the kids who committed interested. Otherwise, there's a real possibility of sliding back down the hill into the abyss. Right now, it's hard for me to articulate where that improvement will come from.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 07:59:26 PM »
Yeah, I knew Baylor was going to be bad this year, but I didn't think they'd be this bad.

Some interesting matchups in there.  Aside from UT-USC of course, I'll be interested in KSU-Vandy, oSu-Pitt, and Tech-ASU.

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:58:20 AM »
Wins: ISU, OU, OSU, TCU, TT & WVU
Oh so close: KSU & UT
Losses:  Baylor & KU

Conference play starts next week and the Big 12 looks much tougher than last year.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.