header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Texas at USC

(Read 19404 times)

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
Texas at USC
« on: July 27, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »
Anyone planning to go to this game in Los Angeles?

I'm booked on all accounts -  hotel, airfaire, and have game tickets from the USC box office. 

This will be my first trip to the Memorial Coliseum.  I have no idea if there is a tailgate scene or not, but I'm open to suggestions for pre-game activities or locations if anyone else has been there as a visitor. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Texas at USC
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
I've never been there and won't be able to make it this year, so no help for you there.

But I'm hopeful it's a good game. Going to be a tall order to win this game in Herman's first year, but anything is possible!

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:41:25 AM »
Yeah, I am holding my expectations low.  But I do think Herman can do great things, so I'm optimistic.

This was kind of a double-duty trip for us.  My brother lives down in San Diego, and our very close friends are up in Bakersfield, so we are actually flying in Wed and staying through Sunday so we can spend time with them as well.   Hopefully the game is as enjoyable for us as the visiting with friends & family. 

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
They do tailgate at the Coliseum. And they actually sell beer inside the stadium too.

The only thing to note is that the area *around* USC is terrible. You know when rappers talk about life in South Central LA? Yeah, that's where USC is.

So I'd stay on the premises for your pregame/tailgate activities, and get well away from the area afterwards for postgame festivities.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
Long Beach is nicer than the area around USC.   

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »
Hey TF, welcome to the new board!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 04:15:45 PM »
Long Beach is nicer than the area around USC.   

There are actually some very nice areas of Long Beach. Everyone [not from here] thinks that Long Beach is "the hood" because of Snoop, and to be fair, there are areas of Long Beach that aren't exactly the nicest or safest... But there are plenty of areas that are quite nice.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
Sure it might be nicer, but it doesn't look very convenient for someone going specifically for the game and not wanting to drive/park/figure out how to get there. 

I'll have to do Long Beach when I am on a mission to actually see parts of the LA area coastline, but I've done that already and this one is a football-focused trip. :)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
There are actually some very nice areas of Long Beach. Everyone [not from here] thinks that Long Beach is "the hood" because of Snoop, and to be fair, there are areas of Long Beach that aren't exactly the nicest or safest... But there are plenty of areas that are quite nice.
My brother-in-law (RIP pal) lived in Belmont Shore. Awesome area.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 01:09:21 PM »
Anyone planning to go to this game in Los Angeles?

I'm booked on all accounts -  hotel, airfaire, and have game tickets from the USC box office. 

This will be my first trip to the Memorial Coliseum.  I have no idea if there is a tailgate scene or not, but I'm open to suggestions for pre-game activities or locations if anyone else has been there as a visitor. 

I hope you have a great time.  Maybe this will be a classic like the last time these teams met.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »
After what I saw yesterday, we may not win more than five games this year. :smiley_confused1:

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 10:23:29 AM »
Right now it's pretty tough to see a path to even 3 wins.  San Jose State this weekend, probably.  Baylor might be worse than Texas, so maybe that's a win too?    Other than that... ugh.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 04:56:55 PM »
I'm calling 7 wins, guys.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 07:09:30 PM »
Right now it's pretty tough to see a path to even 3 wins.  San Jose State this weekend, probably.  Baylor might be worse than Texas, so maybe that's a win too?    Other than that... ugh.
That seems very pessimistic.  Possible, but on the extreme low end of the probable range.  I guess we'll see over the first month, but I'm in agreement with you that Saturday looked like last year's team, and I find it unlikely that Herman got absolutely nothing changed in his time so far.  If something systemic hadn't been acted upon, I'd agree with you comment in the other thread about fixing something that should be fixed in the offseason is a tough job during the season.  I guess I'm banking that things were changed, but that the implementation didn't manifest in week 1.  This, I think, is a different challenge than if nothing had changed in the off-season.  
Or Herman's comments about fairy dust could be 100% accurate.  But it sounds like coach speak following a bad loss to me.  I don't buy quite yet that he's been sitting around thinking his aura would magically transform the team.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.