header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Texas at West Virginia

(Read 14379 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: Texas at West Virginia
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
Lot of good posts on this topic.

About coaches, I echo Junior.  Mack Brown was the rarity, in that he inherited a stockpile of talent on offense and he possessed the great good sense to move people into positions better suited to their abilities (DD Lewis and Leonard Davis immediately come to mind.   He was a great a hire and, indeed, he never stepped backward until - like Brown County said - he did it to himself.

When Charlie came in, I applauded him cleaning house.  There were certain kids on the team he inherited who were just bad news.

Course when the Horns ended up with an offensive line two-deep that had about six previous starts between them, it occurred to me he just might've cut a tad too deeply.

The team Herman inherited lost to Kansas but had also been battling just about everybody (except TCU) close for the last two years.  I expected to win a few of those close battles this year.

Instead - like Junior pointed out - talented playmakers watch from the sidelines.  And Herman whines.  Listen to this one:

“We have proven that when you can do those things regardless of any deficiencies you might have, regardless of losing three starters up front on offense, regardless of losing the Doak Walker Award winner at tailback, regardless of having to play musical chairs at quarterback because of injuries and both guys being somewhat inexperienced. If you do those things, if you play with great effort, intensity and physicality, you’ve got a chance to win,”

The perfectly (?) played "no-excuse" (but it really is an itemization of excuses) excuse.

I'm with Brown County, I don't want to hear about injuries.  Like 320 posted, our last four recruiting classes have been ranked 20,12,11 and 31.  Do you think Maryland has the depth of talent we have?   Can Oklahoma State, West Virginia or even TCU say they have the depth of talent we should have?

And yet we keep making excuses for falling short.

Herman needs to turn it around and he needs to stop whining.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
Tom and Charlie are both champions of the "disclaimed" excuse.

But the thing is - if it were strictly just a function of players as these excuses suggest, then we are overpaying these coaches.

Nowhere in the above left-handed crybaby litany is preparation, game planning, play-calling, or decisions of any sort called into question.

To paraphrase, 'if you play hard, you might win.'

Let me propose my own paraphrase, 'if you outcoach them, you might win.'

I've seen it done.  I've been on teams where game planning allowed us to beat greater talent.  I've coached teams (ok little league) where game planning allowed me to beat greater talent.

I just want to see Herman and Co. outcoach somebody, that's all.  Because frankly, I'm not sure Herman's at that level.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:07:48 PM by BrownCounty »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »
In fact, although some of us love to hate on Mack (shame, shame, shame...), I can distinctly remember days when Mack would discuss variables other than players when reviewing a loss.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:17:38 PM by BrownCounty »

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »
Here's my issue.  When's the last time Alabama had to "think about what could have been" due to injuries?

Dammit to Hades!!  I'm tired of hearing it.
So you're comparing a first year coach without a full recruiting cycle under his belt to a school that has compiled 9 consecutive #1 recruiting classes which has literally never been done in the history of the sport?  
No wonder you're disappointed.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 02:20:04 PM »
I'm certainly in agreement with the last two posts from T95 and Slick.

I'll even admit to angrily texting a couple of friends at the end of the Maryland game, saying "Fire Tom Herman immediately."

Even so, he'll get his chance next year and the year after.  But I'd like to see him start using his chances THIS year, and win more football games.  His hallmark at Houston was beating teams he wasn't supposed to.  That has yet to happen at Texas and what's worse, his team got absolutely run off the field in its first game ever against an opponent they should have beaten.  Just no excuse for that and it has remained a sour point this entire season, as we're scraping and struggling for bowl eligibility against the Kansases of the world.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »
Beat WV and Tech and we head off to the Texas or Alamo Bowl?   Could meet Aggie in the Texas bowl?  :smiley_confused1:

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2017, 02:45:22 PM »
And another thing - the hotter the wife, the higher my demands of a coach.

I mean, he should be earning those goods dammit.

Don't come prancing in front of me with a brunette that causes my eyes to water, my hands to sweat and my loins to quiver.  I'm not going to walk away with juiced jorts and a 5-win season and call that a good time.

I expect results from any bastage that's bagging that kind of merchandise.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 02:48:45 PM »
Could meet Aggie in the Texas bowl?  :smiley_confused1:
For the first time ever, I say H to the hockey sticks to this idea.  Not this year.

Thumper

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »
I don't see the coaching prowess to pull out a win at WVU.  Which troubles me because I've never had a ton of respect for that Gallagher looking mofo that coaches WVU.
I've always thought he looked like Bobcat Goldtwaith

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 03:46:22 PM »
The Maryland game is a perfect reason NOT to fire Tom Herman - even if that were a consideration. The team was coached in his way, then tried it their own old way for one game. You can see the difference.

Texas' TE troubles are bordering on Spinal Tap drummer status. While the high flying WR antics get all the press, teams don't win without a big body causing confusion at the LOS and pulling the LBs out of position. Texas barely had an option at the beginning of the season, and he got hurt before the first snap.

I wish Texas had more OL ready to go, but that just doesn't happen. No one loses Connor Williams, Elijah Rodriguez, and Pat Hudson caliber talent and just rolls on. If you consider the transfers who left, thinking they were buried (who then wouldn't be buried had they stayed), that's a literal ton of OL talent that hasn't played for Texas this season. 

Injuries may be an excuse, but sometimes excuses are valid. If Texas were ready made out of the box, Charlie Strong would still be here, Texas isn't and he isn't. Herman had work to do, and he's done a lot. 

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 03:59:19 PM »
Texas' TE troubles are bordering on Spinal Tap drummer status.

Oh geez... now I'm going to be humming "Hellhole" the rest of the day...

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
I've always thought he looked like Bobcat Goldtwaith

"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »
Busy posting day today.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2017, 04:55:06 PM »
ousux

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.