header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: oSu @ Texas - how will it go down

(Read 15311 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
oSu @ Texas - how will it go down
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
We know Tom Herman will have Texas fighting tooth and nail to the end, but how do you think things will shake out?

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: oSu @ Texas - how will it go down
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 02:41:26 PM »
At the thought of our defensive secondary, I'm sure Mason Rudolph can't let go of himself.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
i called UTa to fight strong against USCw... I picked them outright in the RRSO... 

i say that in attempt to demonstrate i have no ill will toward bevo's... 

oSu is going to hurt them... like Rod "He Hate Me" Smart, Texas will forever wear "He Hurt Me" on their banners leading into this game after this encounter. 

(and an aside: that tale always gives me the giggles- Smart ended up playing on the Panthers practice team after the XFL shut down, where he was injured while practicing.... the team got him a new jersey as a result, but instead of saying "he hate me" it said "he hurt me"...) 

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
Texas definitely has a good shot at beating the Pokes.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 04:06:11 PM »
For the record, I am waiting for the day when OSU's "Big Red's Auto Sales" scandal is uncovered.  Or should I say Boone's Auto Sales.

There are more Texans on the OSU roster than OU's.  And they are BIG.  Not the little guys - the big ones like Art Briles used to get (and we know what happened there).

And of course the bright lights and pageantry of Stillwater, Oklahoma is where all young men should aspire to spend their collegiate career.

Yeah I don't get it.  But I expect Mr. Gundy to step aside as soon as the sharks catch the scent.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:05:33 PM »
BC you know nature abhors a vacuum.  Just a heads up - your totally vacuous post where you speculate wildly about integrity of the Pokes operation without a shred of evidence might have pissed her off.  I’m no OSU fan, so it’s no sweat off my back, but nature passed me this note and I thought I’d share with you.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 08:09:14 AM »
This offense is a horrible matchup for our defense, they're going to throw all day and pick on our horrific secondary.  Boyd alone will probably give up 100+ yards and a couple TDs to whomever he's covering.  And the Longhorn offense isn't nearly effective enough to keep up.

This one gets ugly for Texas.  It looks like a 3 TD loss to me.

Hope I'm wrong though, of course.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
well utee you just never know

the line favors Ok St by 7

the line for the OU game was pretty close

I think youre right they are gonna pass for a bunch on us and probably score

close to 30 but whats not real clear to me is just how much UT will score

I think final score will be OK st 35 and UT 28

that is unless one of the teams  turns the ball over a lot 

then who knows
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 09:39:01 AM »
Well of course "you never know."

"That's why they play they games" and all that.

I don't think how well Texas performs against OU is much of an indicator about how well Texas will perform against Oklahoma State or TCU. 

You seem offended by my concerns over this team, I'm not sure why.  I'll certainly be rooting for Texas to win the game, and I'll be happy if they do.  I have no ego tied up in my expectations for the outcome of this game.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:56:52 AM »
BC you know nature abhors a vacuum.  Just a heads up - your totally vacuous post where you speculate wildly about integrity of the Pokes operation without a shred of evidence might have pissed her off.  I’m no OSU fan, so it’s no sweat off my back, but nature passed me this note and I thought I’d share with you.
Point considered.
I'd be interested in any other notes that nature passes you.

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »
I can't believe there are posters on here that think OSU has  chance.   Texas is going to come out and flex its muscle Saturday.   I say Texas by 10.     :88:

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
the basis of my prediction is all about the matchups.  Texas seemingly wants to play balanced.  I don't mean in offensive play calling as much as i mean equal share of clock between o and d.  they seemingly want to play field position.  they seemingly want to slow the game into their rhythm and to their strengths.

oSu makes a living out of taking teams out of their comfort zone.  they do this by wicked fast attacks threatening the entire field from the center snapper to the outs, and from there to the back corners and anything in between.  it seems reckless and playing on the verge of control, and if successful it can get them a few scores up and force their opponents to play a game they don't want to play- because it's exceeding their comfortable rhythm.  it also does something else, too, and personally i think it is the crux to busting gundy's approach:  it finds the mismatch, if there is one, with a quickness... gundy seems to discover and use the mismatch better than most- he doesn't "over use" it- he uses it just enough to keep his opponent from loading up on it- and if they do load up on defending the discovered mismatch, he makes them pay for it by drilling the shifted defender's responsibility.  yeah- this is nothing different than most any team tries to do, but Gundy teams do it effectively and quickly.  

Teams like bama don't care what you got- their game is to lean on you 60 minutes with constantly fresh players- and start having their way with you after 40 minutes or so... Teams like Clemson blitz you and break your pocket passing mechanisms- forcing you to adjust- w/o that, they are manageable- it's easier said than done.  Teams like GT and oSu go 'all in' on the gamble they can disrupt your plan- GT obviously does it by attempting to own the clock and keeping your defense on the field- never allowing your O to find a groove... oSu does it by blitzkrieg- sudden and atrocious assault all over the field finding the mismatch as quickly as possible and then striking it only enough to keep the game moving at the pace they dictate.  

if you can play mano-a-mano effectively with oSu,  they aren't the juggernaut they pretend to be.  if you've got a bad match, Gundy will find it by mid way through the first if it wasn't found while scouting (where other tactics/methods take full halves to find, and usually after collusion over the break).  Gundy flash attacks with simple intent to find the mismatch- that is his whole basis of formula to win....if that can be halted, so can oSu.  if (when) he finds the mismatch, he toys with it to see how the defender's respond- and that will determine how often he'll exploit it.  this isn't that much different than a lot of fast-strike teams, it's just that he is pretty dang good at it when he has the right tools at his disposal, which he seems to this season, and that he doesn't over use it too early. 

I just don't think Texas has the ponies to go mano-a-mano with oSu's this season.  and.... I don't think they'll be able to sprint with them once oSu opens the gap.  just my opinion... and it's about match-up... if it's any consolation, i'm thinking a team like texas would do a lot better against a team like bama than oSu would- because of the same match-ups.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
Gundy already knows the Texas weaknesses on defense, it's right there on film for all to see.  KSU was able to exploit the secondary for big gains deep, and OU did more of the same.  oSu has even more weapons to exploit those same weaknesses.   As drew points out, they're just a terrible matchup for us, probably the worst we'll have all season.

Their defense is not remarkable, but neither is our offense.  Gonna be a long day in Austin I'm afraid.  I'll be delighted to be wrong.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
So, you don't believe in the ECFGs, but you do believe in nature?
How do you pick your football religion?  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.