header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT- fictional football characters

(Read 64192 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: OT- fictional football characters
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 09:18:26 AM »
All the Right Moves is an 80s teen exploitation classic for sure.  Not up at the top of the mountain like Risky Business, but yeah, Leah Thompson.  Wowza.
Rebecca De Mornay.   Many people loved her as an actress.  I respect that but I was never enraptured with any attraction to her.  She had that Sandra Locke beady eyed sharp nosed rodent look.   Like I said, some folks like that.  Good for them.  Not my cup of tea.
I did think, however, that she gave a great performance in the early '90s Disney version of the Three Musketeers that starred Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Oliver Platt and Tim Curry.  As far as beauty goes, the movie also had Gabrielle Anwar who burned up the screen in every movie she appeared in back then, but I thought Rebecca De Mornay gave the best performance in that otherwise silly movie.  Even better than the always wonderful Tim Curry.  

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2018, 09:25:30 AM »
De Morney was awesome in The Hand that Rocks The Cradle.    Perfect role for a beady sharp nosed rodent looking actress. 

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2018, 09:25:53 AM »
Craig T Nelson was the high school football coach in All The Right Moves six years before he became Coach of the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles.

I dug Rebecca De Mornay AND Lea Thompson.  Another favorite was Elizabeth Shue, I dated a girl who looked a lot like her in fact.

Not sure any of them held my attention as much as Olivia d'Abo, though.  The first time I saw her was in Conan 2, man she was cute.  She didn't do a lot of stuff, though.  She was the older sister in The Wonder Years for its first few seasons, she played a burgeoning hippie chick that was growing up too fast and there were some really amazing bittersweet moments between her and her youngest brother, Kevin.  She was also in one of my favorite mid-90s movies, Kicking and Screaming.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »
About a hundred years ago, in the late '70s when I was a teen, Robby Benson starred in movie about a shooting guard recruited to play for a fictional college powerhouse like UCLA, Kansas or North Carolina.

It had Melanie Griffith in a 90 second cameo as a hitchhiker.

The dude who played his coach was perfect for the role.  Scrawny little finger pointer with an overbite and high Okie twang.

Probably the best villain coach ever.  Better than Nelson in all the right moves.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
Varsity Blues wasn't a great movie, but John Voight did a good job as a villainous head coach.

And, of course, there was the whipped cream bikini girl...

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »
Craig T Nelson was the high school football coach in All The Right Moves six years before he became Coach of the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles.

I dug Rebecca De Mornay AND Lea Thompson.  Another favorite was Elizabeth Shue, I dated a girl who looked a lot like her in fact.

Not sure any of them held my attention as much as Olivia d'Abo, though.  The first time I saw her was in Conan 2, man she was cute.  She didn't do a lot of stuff, though.  She was the older sister in The Wonder Years for its first few seasons, she played a burgeoning hippie chick that was growing up too fast and there were some really amazing bittersweet moments between her and her youngest brother, Kevin.  She was also in one of my favorite mid-90s movies, Kicking and Screaming.
Good taste, Junior.  I remember Elizabeth Shue and Olivia D'Abo.  
Back when Bo Derek was considered a sex symbol, she starred in a movie called Bolero.  Olivia D'Abo played her protegee, Paloma.  It was another one of those movies Cinemax played 80 zillion times and only "After Dark" so you'd imagine it would be somewhat scandalous, but it wasn't.
Did you ever watch Law and Order Criminal Intent when Olivia D'Abo became Vincent Donofrio's recurring nemesis.  It was reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes begrudging admiration for Irene Adler.
Elizabeth Shue was cute as a button when she was young in the Karate Kid and Adventures in Babysitting but she aged well too.   I thoroughly enjoyed her role on CSI just a few years ago.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »
Oh, and that basketball movie was called One on One.  I don't think I ever saw it, but I remember my dad's radio station doing promotions for it.  Not sure if it had any particular connection to Austin or not, but at one point they hosted a big party downtown (maybe a premier?) and at least a couple of the actors were there.  I wasn't allowed to attend, I just remember my folks making a big to-do about it all.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »
Oh yeah, Varsity Blues.

It just reminded me of another movie, probably best forgotten.  "Johnny Be Good."  It had a young Uma Thurman, a coked up, manic Robert Downy Jr and an awkwardly grown up Anthony Michael Hall bearing no resemblance to the cute kid who had starred in Family Vacation and Sixteen Candles.

What it did have was a wonderful satire of recruiting corruption written by someone who knew enough about it to make wonderfully absurd parodies of UT and USC.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
Good taste, Junior.  I remember Elizabeth Shue and Olivia D'Abo.  
Back when Bo Derek was considered a sex symbol, she starred in a movie called Bolero.  Olivia D'Abo played her protegee, Paloma.  It was another one of those movies Cinemax played 80 zillion times and only "After Dark" so you'd imagine it would be somewhat scandalous, but it wasn't.
Did you ever watch Law and Order Criminal Intent when Olivia D'Abo became Vincent Donofrio's recurring nemesis.  It was reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes begrudging admiration for Irene Adler.
Elizabeth Shue was cute as a button when she was young in the Karate Kid and Adventures in Babysitting but she aged well too.   I thoroughly enjoyed her role on CSI just a few years ago.
I don't really watch much television,  so I haven't seem them in those roles.  Good to hear that they've aged well.

Speaking of The Wonder Years, little Winnie Cooper did quite well for herself as well.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 09:47:32 AM »
Oh, and that basketball movie was called One on One.  I don't think I ever saw it, but I remember my dad's radio station doing promotions for it.  Not sure if it had any particular connection to Austin or not, but at one point they hosted a big party downtown (maybe a premier?) and at least a couple of the actors were there.  I wasn't allowed to attend, I just remember my folks making a big to-do about it all.

Thank you for remembering the title.  IMDB says it was filmed at Colorado State University.
It's funny how Austin used to host premieres from time to time for movies that weren't even filmed in Austin.   In addition to "One on One," when the 1960s hit TV series "Batman" made a full length movie, it premiered in Austin.   It was all the rage.  Austin went totally Batman crazy.  Grocery stores and gas stations held promotions and radio stations had contests.
The only movies I actually remember being filmed in Austin in the '70s and '80s was a tepid movie called "Outlaw Blues" that featured Peter Fonda as a country singer and an amazing boat chase on Town Lake near the dam, and "Nadine" with Jeff Bridges and Kim Bassinger.  All I remember about that one is that it was about recovering nude pics of Bassinger that were never actually shown.
Oh, I think there was one more - "DOA" with Dennis Quaid.
And "Roadie" with Meat Loaf.  I was at the bar they filmed it at.  Nickel beer night.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 09:48:22 AM »
Oh yeah, Varsity Blues.

It just reminded me of another movie, probably best forgotten.  "Johnny Be Good."  It had a young Uma Thurman, a coked up, manic Robert Downy Jr and an awkwardly grown up Anthony Michael Hall bearing no resemblance to the cute kid who had starred in Family Vacation and Sixteen Candles.

What it did have was a wonderful satire of recruiting corruption written by someone who knew enough about it to make wonderfully absurd parodies of UT and USC.
Yeah, Anthony Michael Hall looked totally weird in that.  But then he looked even weirder as a 'roided up jock in Edward Scissorhands.   

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
Speaking of The Wonder Years, little Winnie Cooper did quite well for herself as well.
Even when they were little kids it was perfectly obvious that young Kevin had outkicked his coverage.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2018, 09:50:17 AM »
Yeah, Anthony Michael Hall looked totally weird in that.  But then he looked even weirder as a 'roided up jock in Edward Scissorhands.  
Having the epoch of your career when you're 14 must be worse than being Vanilla Ice.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »
Let's see, there were a few others shot in/around Austin in the 70s and 80s. 

I specifically recall Heartbreak Hotel because I was an extra in it, a high school auditorium scene where Elvis performs with a student.  I was in the audience.  That was late 80s, 1988 I think.

A personal favorite of mine, Fandango, starring a young Kevin Costner and Judd Nelson, was shot from Austin to West Texas.  Any Longhorn fan that hasn't seen this one, should.

A couple others I can recall were Honesysuckle Rose, and the Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. 

And then I believe the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, from the 70s, was filmed here.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.