header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: All P5 CG races headed into week 13

(Read 2749 times)

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
All P5 CG races headed into week 13
« on: November 19, 2018, 08:17:25 AM »
Six of the eight divisional races are decided while the other two come down to rivalry games where the winner goes to the CG (in both cases one team has already clinched a share but that is mostly irrelevant because the winner of the game goes to the CG).  Then there is the free-for-all in the B12:

ACC:  The ACCCG is set, Clemson vs Pittsburgh.  
SEC:  The SECCG is set, Bama vs Georgia.  

P12:
For weeks I have been referring to the PAC-S as the "messiest division in the P5".  It was, but then Utah won while USC and both Arizona schools were losing last week and now that one is settled.  

P12-S:  Utah
P12-N:  WSU has clinched a share but the winner of the Apple Cup will play Utah in the P12CG.  

B1G:
B1G-W:  Northwestern
B1G-E:  Michigan has clinched a share but the winner of THE GAME will play Northwestern in the B1GCG.  

B12:
This is now the complicated one.  

Oklahoma/West Virginia play this Friday in Morgantown and the winner goes to the B12CG.  The loser is out unless Kansas upsets Texas.  Note, Texas controls their own destiny because with a win over Kansas they go to the B12CG regardless of what happens in the OU/WVU game.  Thus, all three teams (OU, WVU, TX) control their own destiny.  Here is what everybody needs:
  • 7-1 Oklahoma:  In win a win.  If they lose they can still get to the B12CG but only if Texas loses at Kansas.  
  • 6-2 West Virginia:  In with a win.  If they lose they can still get to the B12CG but only if Texas loses at Kansas.  
  • 6-2 Texas:  In with a win, out with a loss.  

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: All P5 CG races headed into week 13
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
That amazes me that all three B12 teams control their own D, but I get it when two play each other, it's just "odd" at this point.

Nice work, again.

I volunteer to do Week O next season.  Everybody controls their own destiny.

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:03:11 AM »
I volunteer to do Week O next season.  Everybody controls their own destiny.
Not True, Rutgers has already been eliminated.  

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:08:28 AM »
Poor Rutgers.  They should get a bowl game against Arkansas.

TyphonInc

• Starter
  • Easily Amused
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »
Poor Rutgers.  They should get a bowl game against Arkansas.
heh heh heh ... they hired Bret Bielema.

EDIT: I went to read on What B.B is up to and got a disgusting quote from him.

"Paul's kind of kept to my same formula," Bielema said. "It's obviously one that has worked in that niche market."

What an ass. 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:22:22 AM by TyphonInc »

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 09:22:55 AM »
And, to "complement" the tops of each conference, I submit the following listing:

ACC - Tie between Laville and UNC, 0-8 and 1-6 in conference play.  UNC "wins" the tie I suspect.  Laville is really bad, UNC had some close losses.

SEC - Arky 0-7 and 2-9.  How'd they win two?

B12 - Kansas 1-7 and 3-8.

P12 - Oregon State 1-7 and 2-9

B1G - Rutger, who lost their S in nearly every game, 0-8, 1-10.  They might well be the worst of a sad lot.

DevilFroggy

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 09:44:50 AM »
Since the Pac went to divisions with the additions of Utah and Colorado in 2011, every team in the Pac-12 South has now won the division at least once now that Utah finally clinched their spot in the P12 CCG. 
I thought I settled my debts that night on the ride home
But I have still got hell to pay

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »
Since the Pac went to divisions with the additions of Utah and Colorado in 2011, every team in the Pac-12 South has now won the division at least once now that Utah finally clinched their spot in the P12 CCG.
Interesting.  I suspect they are the first to attain this distinction of any division of the four conferences.
Relatively few programs have won their division in the main.  The SEC West has quite a few teams that have won, but not A&M (yet) or Ole Miss.  

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 10:23:12 AM »
That is particularly noteworthy in the Pac South; a division that is essentially giftwrapped for USC to win every year. 

All they have to do is beat Ucla and the four Mountain time zone teams, and they are in. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 11:33:58 AM »
I really can't believe Texas controls its own destiny at this point.  
That amazes me that all three B12 teams control their own D, but I get it when two play each other, it's just "odd" at this point.

Nice work, again.

I volunteer to do Week O next season.  Everybody controls their own destiny.
I'm pretty shocked that Texas still controls its own destiny at this point.  Before the season I was fine with the thought of 8-4 and the upward trajectory that would represent, but now, losing to Kansas is really, really gonna hurt. :0

Kris60

• All Star
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 12:32:51 PM »
I really can't believe Texas controls its own destiny at this point.  I'm pretty shocked that Texas still controls its own destiny at this point.  Before the season I was fine with the thought of 8-4 and the upward trajectory that would represent, but now, losing to Kansas is really, really gonna hurt. :0

What would you rather have a chance to do?  Beat Oklahoma twice in a season or avenge a gut wrenching loss.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »
Well it's moot because we're gonna lose to Kansas, but...

... I'm not sure. It's a really good question.  Beating OU twice in the same season would be pretty awesome, even though I'm against rematches of rivalry games.  But I'd also love a crack at your 'Eers again.

Honestly, I don't think OU is gonna beat you.  They have no defense, they're going to have to score on literally every single possession to beat you, and I think your defense is good enough to get a couple of key stops.  I think y'all end up winning by a couple scores by the end of it, maybe 10 points?  Something kike 48-38?

Temp430

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »

B1G-E:  Michigan has clinched a share but the winner of THE GAME will play Northwestern in the B1GCG.  

LOL. Clinched a share?  Of what?  Whatever it is it's more meaningless than your average middle school consolation prize.
A decade of Victory over Penn State.

All in since 1969

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 01:08:09 PM »
Technically, a team can "clinch a share" of a divisional championship and not make the CG.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.