header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: OT- Dressing Up

(Read 4692 times)

Riffraft

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: OT- Dressing Up
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 02:13:47 PM »
I've been called for jury duty for 3 x in 20 yrs.Yet I talk to to others my age who have never been called once.They don't vote and I do which is BS specially with todays technology.If court systems would use the driver license pool instead of the voting pool there would be many more jurors to pick.This is no small inconvenience for me.I take a rapid transit downtown from the burbs.Then walk another 3/4 mile from the station to the court house.I wear nice jeans and tops,still there is an effort getting there so they should be happy if I'm wearing a fig leaf.Not sure why I haven't been called for any of the suburban court houses but I haven't.
58yo, I vote, have a driver's license, etc. but have never been called for Jury Duty. 

Riffraft

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 02:17:01 PM »
As far as dressing up. Business casual for work. When I was a pastor, I always wore a tie when preaching. Last time I was in the pulpit was as a guest, first time ever preaching without a tie. Here in Arizona, particularly in the summer time, it is not unusual for people to wear shorts and sandals to church. 

I still own about 50 ties which I rarely wear, as a pastor I was known for my "wild" ties. 

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 02:25:56 PM »
At work I wear mostly jeans.  So does my Director.  So does my VP, unless he's meeting with Michael that day or something.
Same here. Over the past several years, my company completed two major [relative to our own size] acquisitions. That caused a lot of questions to come up with company culture, dress code, etc. 
Our SVP of HR sent out an email to clarify, highlighting that she was meeting with all the C-level execs who were wearing jeans in the meeting, so as long as you were presentable and dressed appropriately for the occasion [such as dressing a little better for customer meetings/etc], it wasn't a big deal.
Since then it's basically been jeans and a polo ever day. 

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 03:51:26 PM »
58yo, I vote, have a driver's license, etc. but have never been called for Jury Duty.
Lucky bastage - you don't live in Cuyahoga County
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

Riffraft

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »
Lucky bastage - you don't live in Cuyahoga County
I was over 18yo in Franklin County for 8 years and 20 years in Hamilton County.
Personally I would love to be called just once to experience the process. I know that I would never be selected because of some of my "views" but still would be interesting.

huskerdinie

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
I can't say that I have ever been comfy in dresses; I just didn't have a choice in school.  I think it was my senior year in high school (72-73) that we were finally allowed to wear jeans to school but only if the temperature dropped below 32 degrees and usually meant having to go home at noon to change back into a dress cause the temp went up, lol.  Mini skirts were in and I ruined more pairs of pantyhose catching them on slivers under the wooden desks.  I swear I got frostbite on my knees every winter. Nothing like praying for cold weather just so I wouldn't freeze in school.  

I've heard of different places where you can rent dresses (mostly prom or wedding) and I have seriously considered it a couple of times like for my sons' weddings but I was always lucky enough to find a nice dress that could be worn for other events.  

My hubby and I just don't go out enough now to warrant super nice clothes and the only time he ever wore a suit was the tux at our wedding.  When he dresses up it's a nice silk black dress shirt we bought 20 years ago and tie with khaki pants or black jeans.  He's always worked blue collar jobs like oil rigs or cleaning coal mines / schools / hospitals, etc.  so never had to wear business clothes.  All that money we saved on clothes we put into buying computer games, lol.  Just a couple of grumpy old people, ha ha.  
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said,
but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant.  Anonymous

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
I was over 18yo in Franklin County for 8 years and 20 years in Hamilton County.
Personally I would love to be called just once to experience the process. I know that I would never be selected because of some of my "views" but still would be interesting.
careful what you ask for
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 08:25:35 PM »
Where I work I wear a suit four days a week (casual Fridays being the exception).  
I've actually commented about this to my boss.  I'd be lynched if the rest of the employees had to dress properly on Fridays.
If it's a good idea to dress properly 4 days a week to portray a certain image for the company, why then is it a good idea to dress like you don't want to be there on Friday?
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 09:31:01 PM »
I've actually commented about this to my boss.  I'd be lynched if the rest of the employees had to dress properly on Fridays.
If it's a good idea to dress properly 4 days a week to portray a certain image for the company, why then is it a good idea to dress like you don't want to be there on Friday?
You sound like a CEO I had years ago.
"What, if you're dressing casual on Friday does that mean you're working casually too?" 

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »
Not to leave everyone hanging, today I was indeed a juror.   The pool was 18 people, 17 white non-hispanic, 9m and 9f (ages 30-70 I'd guess), the dress was 'business casual' and for the most part it was, a couple folks did wear dressy jeans, one dude (30) who clearly wanted nothing to do with jury duty wore a T shirt and really worn jeans and sneakers, he got bounced on voir dire, he had all the wrong answers.  Comic book guy was another one in the pool, he was excused.  

our jury was 6 regulars,  (all white male, two lawyers, one Lyft/Uber driver who manages a factory cafeteria, a Financial Adviser, a custom furniture builder and a small business owner) and 1 white female alt. juror (pre-school teacher).  I was not the only lawyer on the jury, though the only former prosecutor/defense attorney. The judge said afterwards in the room he was surprised they let me stay, though as I always say, you only get 3 strikes and they need to be the people you really don't want. You accept the rest.  The other lawyer was a civil plaintiff's lawyer.

Case: 30s married male sexting a single pic of his schlong to a minor (16), a total stranger on a chat site over the web living way out west.   FBI gets a hold of this evidence, they don't see a fed crime and refer to the locals here.  They of course have a task force for these crimes (every large metro does) and of course they charge it (a relatively low felony in this state, but still charged as such).   The State's case doesn't even get off the ground (@iahawk will appreciate this). They have one witness, the local detective,  who's going to tell us about the image and play for us his long interview with the defendant, and they have no way of laying any foundation for the evidence (the image).  The FBI witness isn't here, the local detective can't authenticate or credibly introduce the image, he didn't unearth it, the feds did and they aren't here.  Defense counsel objects (hearsay), she's so relaxed and State lamely argues  one of the many exceptions to the hearsay rule,, they sidebar and dismiss us to jury room. defense counsel, she's so relaxed.    We get in the jury room and the others are like 'what's happening?'    I simply said, this is stunning, they can't get the image into evidence, we're going to be done by 2:30.  30 seconds later Judge walks in and says 'it's over'.    

I don't doubt this whole thing went down as suggested by the State, but HTF did the State think they were going to sneak this into evidence? My only theory is 'There's a task force, we get federal money for it,  investigate and charge these web sex crimes, no matter what (similar to how pressures exist to charge every DV case that walks in the door), politically you cannot exercise discretion for these types of crimes, public won't tolerate it.  We did get a very nice lunch on the taxpayer dime at a great diner next door.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:48:50 AM by MarqHusker »

NorthernOhioBuckeye

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 12:50:33 PM »
When I started working for the company I now work for 32 years ago, we dressed in nice slacks, button down shirts and ties. This went on for about the first 10 years of my employment.

Then they relaxed the requirement to wear the ties and it became basically business casual but no jeans except for Fridays. As I worked in a area that was NEVER visited by customers, and I had to visit the manufacturing floor often, I began wearing jeans through the week and never heard anything about it. I had ruined a couple of pair of khakis out on the shop floor and decided that I would just wear jeans as they were more durable.  It took about a year or so and then everyone else in my area followed my lead. 

I then took a job that required travel to other manufacturing sites and occasionally to the corporate offices. I had to go back to business casual, no jeans and when traveling to the corporate offices, suits. After a few years, even corporate relaxed to business casual.

Now, I work at home and only go into the office on rare occasions, so my day is spent in sweatpants and tee shirts. However, I still have to travel now and then, but if I am going to other plants, it's business casual with jeans allowed. However, corporate was still no jeans. That is until the last time I was up there late last year. I packed for 5 days of khakis and low and behold, everyone there was in jeans. I even ran into the CEO (who happens to be a long time friend of mine) in the elevator and he was wearing tennis shoes. 

As for our church, it is very casual with people wearing shorts and tee shirts and a few dressing more business casual. In warm weather, I will dress for church in nice shorts and golf polo as if I'm playing golf. As I never wear sandals or flip flops, I wear a nice pair of tennis shoes that complement my attire. 

However, I still wear a suit for funerals and weddings when appropriate. If not a suit, then nice slacks and a sports jacket at the very least, depending upon the wedding party's preference.  

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 05:12:12 PM »
I've actually commented about this to my boss.  I'd be lynched if the rest of the employees had to dress properly on Fridays.
At my first job out of college that implemented casual Fridays about six months after I started and I hated it.  At that time my entire wardrobe consisted of:
  • The five suits I bought for work when I graduated, and
  • A bunch of ratty jeans, concert t-shirts, and flannel shirts that I had worn when I was in college.  
I didn't own anything "business casual".  

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 05:13:39 PM »
Case: 30s married male sexting a single pic of his schlong to a minor (16), a total stranger on a chat site over the web living way out west. 
Out of curiosity, did he know the recipient was underage?  

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 05:30:50 PM »
We learned later from the judge that yes, he did.  This was going to be a debate of whether the action offended community standards (One of the elements of the crime) of course we never got that far as state couldn't manage to introduce the image in the first place.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.