header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?

(Read 19300 times)

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: Shouldn’t there be an Astros thread here?
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 04:04:50 PM »
Yeah, I see what you did there, Amos.  And I also notice how beautifully presentiment I was in dubbing you Amos after the famous Judean syacamore fig farmer and goat herder prophet.
Figs are delicious.  Got a couple fig trees in the yard here.  Canned figs are awesome.  If any of you like fig cake, I've got a great recipe I can dig up and share.  

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
Leave it to you primo to link Amos back in such historically rich way.  Here I was just thinking it came from Famous Amos, and their delicious choc chip cookies, who incidentally opened their first store in (Beat!) LA.  

Anyway I love figs, and more importantly my sweet love of my life does too.  They were some of her favorite fruits growing up in Argentina.  Would be happy to see any good recipe. One of the things I’m doing for her these days is trying to cook really tasty meals.  A yummy fig concoction would be cool to make for her.

Go Verlander!  Blank those boys in blue!

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2017, 07:55:33 AM »
Game 2, an instant classic.

Congrats to the Stros for evening this thing up and claiming home field advantage.  Good luck Friday night!

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
I love it when you type the post of your life and then this forum decides you're not logged in when you hit post.

After giving you the reply screen.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
So anyway it's Astros vs. the establishment now.  Or at least that is the strawman I have built.

When Altuve and Correra back-to-back homered, I had never heard such somber and emotionless sportscasting in my life.  Then when the Dodgers tied it, Joe Buck and his boy were ecstatically creaming all over each other in the broadcast booth.  I was so pissed I turned it off.

My wife told me the Astros pulled it out this morning.  Eat me, Joe Buck.

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »
So anyway it's Astros vs. the establishment now.  Or at least that is the strawman I have built.

When Altuve and Correra back-to-back homered, I had never heard such somber and emotionless sportscasting in my life.  Then when the Dodgers tied it, Joe Buck and his boy were ecstatically creaming all over each other in the broadcast booth.  I was so pissed I turned it off.

My wife told me the Astros pulled it out this morning.  Eat me, Joe Buck.
Interesting.... that sounds a lot like broadcasts of horn games.  Just insert the horns for Dodgers in your example.  

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
Interesting.... that sounds a lot like broadcasts of horn games.  Just insert the horns for Dodgers in your example.  
Ya get what you pay for
We hire the best
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
Interesting.... that sounds a lot like broadcasts of horn games.  Just insert the horns for Dodgers in your example.  
It occurred to me as I was typing that, I sound like Aggy.
But in my case it's probably a response to an actual bias, as opposed to standard protocol.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:21:55 AM by BrownCounty »

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
DirecTV lost Fox in my market, so in addition to any Saints games I might want to watch (very few, but I do like Drew Brees), I don't have the World Series.  So I can't comment on Joe Buck, other than to say if he's calling these games like everything else I've heard him call, he's probably got a favorite and it probably shows.  And it is annoying.  

My gf told me Bregman's done well, including a homer in g1 and some nifty fielding in the 11th inning to preserve the lead.  So good for him and good for Houston fans.  

I saw the 4 billboards LSU put up in the Houston area with Bregman and Harris that say "Geaux Streauxs," and while neat, it makes me wonder if they're really just wishing former players well or if they're trying to bolster presence in a city in response to Tom Herman's recruiting prowess.  

Fred, I'll find that recipe, it's going to be a few days though.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »
I saw the 4 billboards LSU put up in the Houston area
This is all Aggy's fault.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
I can't imagine turning off an exciting WS game just because the announcers seem biased.  Announcers always seem to be biased, and usually in favor of teams from big media market areas, such as LA and NY.  So, F' em.  I'll still watch the game.  Of course sometimes I turn down the sound.

Actually, what's good about the At Bat (MLB) app is that you can listen to the broadcasters from each team.  So, this series I've been listening to the Astros broadcasters, who are I think are a lot better than the LA ones, at least now that Vin Scully has retired.  Most teams have pretty good announcers, and they are ALWAYS biased in favor of their own teams.  It's fun to flip back and forth between announcers when there's a review of a play going on.  If it's basically too close to call, each team's side will call it in favor of their own team.  Kinda fun.

Go Stros!

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 12:40:33 PM »
I can't imagine turning off an exciting WS game just because the announcers seem biased.
It's another personal quirk I have.  I hate extra innings.  I will watch the 10th inning - if it's not settled in ten I'm done.  Call the game on #hits if not settled in ten innings.  I'm serious.
But I had to get up at 5am anyway.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »
Fred, I'll find that recipe, it's going to be a few days though.  
Thanks man.  No hurry, of course.

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 01:20:50 PM »
It occurred to me as I was typing that, I sound like Aggy.
But in my case it's probably a response to an actual bias, as opposed to standard protocol.
Everyone's gotta have standards...  
And call a game based on hits?  Akin to calling a football game based on first downs?
Guess I shouldn't be surprised a Big XIIer favors an offensive stat to decide outcomes.  

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.