header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Major Applewhite out at U of H ?

(Read 76853 times)

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Major Applewhite out at U of H ?
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2019, 10:09:47 AM »
I'm curious why you would suggest the B12 is "snubbing" Houston.

Do you similarly think the SEC is "snubbing" Houston?

What an odd comment.

Mr Tulip

• Learn to love or leave me. Either one you wanna do.
  • Player
  • Non Serviam
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2019, 04:13:09 PM »
From his comments, evidently Dana really loves living in Houston. Apparently about 5 million people do it, so I guess it's just inevitable that some of them enjoy the experience.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2019, 04:31:04 PM »
Lots to love in Htown. I could move there. It’s got more people than the ATX but the infrastructure is better, not every old neighborhood is being gentrified so it’s much more affordable in places.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »
I'm curious why you would suggest the B12 is "snubbing" Houston.

Do you similarly think the SEC is "snubbing" Houston?

What an odd comment.
Well, frankly they didn't apply to the SEC (AFAIK) and they did apply to, and were turned down by, the Big 12.  I think it's spot on, and I also think that UH will eventually be accepted into the Big 12.  

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2019, 06:15:41 PM »
How much more of the Htown market that the 12 does not already own could UofH deliver?  Enough to cover UofH’s share of Big 12 revenue at today’s payouts per share?

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 10:13:08 PM »
Oh, and also, as our resident WVU fan Kris pointed out on the B1G threads (sure which he'd post over here more), there's a faction of the WVU administration and fans that aren't too sad to see him go.  They think he's done well there but has probably hit his ceiling.  So I don't think they tried too hard to hold onto him.  With him leaving, they avoided having to pay his buyout and, apparently, Houston even had to pay WVU some money to buy him out.  
If WVU really got the next up-and-comer they wanted, then I think this is probably one of those rare win-wins when it comes to the coaching carousel.
I don't know how much money UH has, other than "a lot," but I think your last part is right on.  I don't think that there were any tears shed in Morgantown.  I don't think there will be tears shed in Houston when Holgorsen moves on to his next gig either.  I think he's a guy who wears out his welcome.
Play Like a Champion Today

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 10:14:05 PM »
I also hear OU & Texas will go to the B1G in 2025.
I hope that what you hear is true, CharleyHorse.
Play Like a Champion Today

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 01:00:26 AM »
Well, frankly they didn't apply to the SEC (AFAIK) and they did apply to, and were turned down by, the Big 12.  I think it's spot on, and I also think that UH will eventually be accepted into the Big 12.  
Several dozen schools applied to join the B12.  All were turned down.  Were they all "snubbed?

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 08:40:10 AM »
From his comments, evidently Dana really loves living in Houston. Apparently about 5 million people do it, so I guess it's just inevitable that some of them enjoy the experience.
Like all places, there's good & bad qualities with Houston but I can say as someone born & raised here, the abrasive, hustling, unpretty concrete jungle of a city has ways of feeling like 'home' in a very special way, even after traveling to some of the  most beautiful destinations in the world that put it to shame in appeal.   It has more to do with the people in it than any landscape, culture scene, or tourist attraction, and if you don't know why then it's okay, we're used to being misunderstood.    
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:25:39 AM by UT-Erin03 »

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »
Ive lived in Houston for 48 years

Got no problem with H Town except their school system

But to be fair you could say that about most any big city

We moved to northwest Houston in 1990 mainly to get into the Cy Fair 

school dist which is better then most IMHO

anyway just my 2 cents worth
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 11:17:09 AM »
Several dozen schools applied to join the B12.  All were turned down.  Were they all "snubbed?
Well, I know that several schools were interviewed, but my view from here was that Houston was the best among that group of candidates and the Houston media/talk was that UH was going to be invited.  I feel that not only was UH surprised they weren't invited most of the country was surprised.  Maybe there was a different spin put on things in Austin.  
I feel that the reason UH was really spurned was because there wasn't a decent "school 12" to bring in at the same time.  
We can make arguments for and against including UH into the Big 12 (tv market, exposure, recruiting) but I feel sooner or later the Big 12 will either have to expand or disband.  If UCF can continue to play well for 5 or more years I think they will be invited along with UH.  Just my own personal opinion, and I know there are a lot of hard feelings about the way the "original" conference fell apart but I truly loved our time in the conference even if we didn't have a lot of success in the later years.  It's kind of the "old neighborhood" analogy.  We may have moved out of the old neighborhood but it doesn't mean that we don't keep up with our old neighbors from time to time.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
Well, I know that several schools were interviewed, but my view from here was that Houston was the best among that group of candidates and the Houston media/talk was that UH was going to be invited.  I feel that not only was UH surprised they weren't invited most of the country was surprised.  Maybe there was a different spin put on things in Austin.  
I feel that the reason UH was really spurned was because there wasn't a decent "school 12" to bring in at the same time.  
We can make arguments for and against including UH into the Big 12 (tv market, exposure, recruiting) but I feel sooner or later the Big 12 will either have to expand or disband.  If UCF can continue to play well for 5 or more years I think they will be invited along with UH.  Just my own personal opinion, and I know there are a lot of hard feelings about the way the "original" conference fell apart but I truly loved our time in the conference even if we didn't have a lot of success in the later years.  It's kind of the "old neighborhood" analogy.  We may have moved out of the old neighborhood but it doesn't mean that we don't keep up with our old neighbors from time to time.  
Why do you believe this?

Gigem

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 01:30:40 PM »
Why do you believe this?
Hard to elaborate, just more of a general feeling.  Part of me believes that no matter what the XII will eventually disband, the only thing holding it together is UT and OU.  Lose either of those two schools and you've got the Big East redux.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 01:45:11 PM »
Hard to elaborate, just more of a general feeling.  Part of me believes that no matter what the XII will eventually disband, the only thing holding it together is UT and OU.  Lose either of those two schools and you've got the Big East redux.  
Well that's certainly true, but then the next question is, why do you think Texas or OU would leave the B12?  And where would they go?

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.