header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Idea for division cross-overs

(Read 4364 times)

LittlePig

• Starter
  • Liked:
Idea for division cross-overs
« on: October 09, 2017, 03:17:31 PM »
8 year cycle.
8 X 3 = 24 games each cycle
Each team should play the following teams these number of times in 8 years

Purdue should play...
Indy 8 times
Mich 2
MSU 2
OSU 2
PSU 2
Rut 4
MD 4
Total 24

Iowa should play....
MSU 4 times
Mich 4
PSU 4
OSU 4
Rut 4
Indy 2
MD 2

Minn should play....
Mich 4 times
MSU 4
OSU 4
PSU 4
Indy 2
Rut 2
MD 4

Wisc should play....
OSU 4 times
Mich 4
MSU 4
PSU 4
Indy 2
Rut 2
MD 4

Neb should play....
PSU 4 times
Mich 4
MSU 4
OSU 4
Indy 2
Rut 4
MD 2

NW should play...
Mich 4 times
MSU 4
OSU 2
PSU 2
Rut 4
Indy 4
MD 4

ILL should play...
Mich 2 times
MSU 2
OSU 4
PSU 4
Indy 4
Rut 4
MD 4
Short 2

Indy should play....
Pur 8 times
ILL 4
NW 4
Wisc 2
MINN 2
Iowa 2
Neb 2

MD should play...
Pur 4 times
ILL 4
NW 4
Wisc 4
Minn 4
Iowa 2
Neb 2

Rut should play....
Pur 4 times
ILL 4
NW 4
Wisc 2
Minn 2
Iowa 4
Neb 4

PSU should play...
Pur 2 times
ILL 4
NW 2
Wisc 4
Minn 4
Iowa 4
Neb 4

OSU should play....
Pur 2 times
ILL 4
NW 2
Wisc 4
MINN 4
IOWA 4
NEB 4

MSU should play....
Pur 2 times
ILL 2
NW 4
Wisc 4
Minn 4
Iowa 4
Neb 4

Mich should play...
Pur 2 times
ILL 2
NW 4
Wisc 4
Minn 4
Iowa 4
Neb 4

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:56:48 AM by LittlePig »

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Idea for division cross-overs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:51:48 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the method to your madness, here, while giving the benefit of the doubt that all your math adds up.

Inasmuch as I can tell, it would appear that you are suggesting that the good teams in one division should play the good teams in the other division more often than they play the bad teams in the other division.

And that the bad teams in one division should be playing the bad teams in the other division more often then they play the good teams in the other division.

All while making the occasional Trophy game exception, where those rivalries get 4 games every 8 years instead of 2, regardless of their stature within their division; with the Bucket being the only fixed crossover that remains on the annual.

Am I warm?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 01:49:27 PM by Brutus Buckeye »
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

LittlePig

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 07:43:11 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the method to your madness, here, while giving the benefit of the doubt that all your math adds up.

Inasmuch as I can tell, it would appear that you are suggesting that the good teams in one division should play the good teams in the other division more often than they play the bad teams in the other division.

And that the bad teams in one division should be playing the bad teams in the other division more often then they play the good teams in the other division.

All while making the occasional Trophy game exception, where those rivalries get 4 games every 8 years instead of 2, regardless of their stature within their division; with the Bucket being the only fixed crossover that remains on the annual.

Am I warm?
You got it.

Except the original idea i had was that you pick 5 teams you play 4 times and 2 treams you play 2 times.

But then it got skewed because Purdue and Indiana need to play 8 times.  So purdue and Indiana ended up being the teams that lots of teams played twice.

Yes it was intentionally set up so that the top 4 from each division all played each other 4 times while the bottom 3 would play each other 4 times.  Its debatable if Minn or NW is the current  #4 in the west, but for rival reasons, its easier to call Minn #4 and NW #5.  

My other concern, although I did not spell it out, would be that the top 4 teams from the west would rotate playing the top 4 teams from the east so that they would always play 2 of the top 4 every year.

My motivation was to avoid schedules like Wisconsin's last year where they got MSU, Mich and OSU all in 1 year.  Then Wisc only gets Mich this year.  Or Iowa's schedule this year where it gets PSU, MSU and OSU.  Then next year only gets PSU.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:45:05 AM by LittlePig »

LittlePig

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
At any rate, I suspect that King Barry would promptly put the kibosh on this idea.
Last year he was vocally grouchy about having to play MSU, Michigan and OSU.
So if he were presented with a plan that would have him playing those three teams (plus PSU) twice as often as the cupcakes that he would prefer to be feasting on... well, I'm afraid that the poor guy might have a stroke.

I admit I did not do a good job of spelling it out,  but this plan set it up so  that the top 4 teams from the west would rotate playing the top 4 teams from the east so that they would always play 2 of the top 4 every year.

My motivation was to avoid schedules like Wisconsin's last year where they got MSU, Mich and OSU all in 1 year.  Then Wisc only gets Mich this year.  Or Iowa's schedule this year where it gets PSU, MSU and OSU.  Then next year only gets PSU.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 08:03:20 AM »
Wisconsin wants to play Michigan, OSU, MSU and PSU every year. Just not all in a row - no team would want that. Spread it out a little and it's all good.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

TresselownsUM

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:48:04 PM »
is northwestern still in the Big 10? I can't remember, my buckeyes haven't played them since Bush was a president, or at least it feels like it

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 03:45:24 PM »
Yep, it sucks not seeing teams for that many years.

Michigan will show up in Madison this year for the first time since 2009.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 03:49:28 PM »
I like the idea of a draft, but that's because I think playoff seeding (for all sports) should also be a drafting format.
It would no doubt be complicated, but very interesting.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:34:42 PM »
Big Jim is going to do what the networks tell him to do
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 10:32:07 PM »
Yeah, no offense, but this idea blows.

Crank all conferences back to ten teams max.

Then let them play every other team in their conference.

You're welcome.

MichiFan87

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
It's a decent idea but obviously unlikely to ever be implemented.

Same goes for my idea to go to 13 games total and 10 conference games while eliminating CCGs and divisions. Let each school have at least 2 (and I'd argue for 4) protected rivals and rotate through the rest. Each school still gets 3 non-con games and only needs 1 guarantee game to get to 7 home games, with the other two potentially being alternating home / away series.
“When your team is winning, be ready to be tough, because winning can make you soft. On the other hand, when your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing”
― Bo Schembechler

LittlePig

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 10:49:11 PM »
For example, Wisc could have a schedule like this

Year 1:  @PSU. Mich,  @MD
Year 2.  PSU, @Mich,  MD
Year 3:  @OSU, MSU, @Rut
Year 4:  OSU, @MSU, Rut
Year 5:  @PSU. Mich,  @Indy
Year 6.  PSU, @Mich,  Indy
Year 7:  @OSU, MSU, @MD
Year 8:  OSU, @MSU, MD

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 06:57:29 AM »
I dunno. UW has been playing IU on a somewhat regular basis since 1907. 60 games in 110 years. I'd like to see them remain on the schedule at that clip - so every other year I guess.

UTee is close. Every conference dials back to 11 and plays 10 conference games and no CCG.

You're welcome.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »
11 teams is stupid.  It was the Big Ten for decades.  It was just fine then.

9 conference games in a full roundrobin, 3 OOC games, for a nice 12-game regular season schedule.  

Then the postseason can do whatever it wants, I largely ignore it these days.

You're welcome.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.