header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Purdue (1-2, 3-3) at #7 Wisconsin (3-0, 6-0) Post Game

(Read 14738 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Purdue (1-2, 3-3) at #7 Wisconsin (3-0, 6-0) Post Game
« on: October 09, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
The injury list is getting pretty long for Wisconsin.

Saturday night, they were without Micah Kapoi and Jon Dietzen at left guard. Jason Erdmann (??) stepped in for Dietzen and played pretty well so that's a positive. Dieter was hobbled but still played. There is finally starting to be some depth on the line.

Listed as questionable this week:

TB Taiwan Deal
LG Jon Dietzen
K P.J. Rosowski
S Patrick Johnson
LG Micah Kapoi
TB Chris James

Listed as out for this week:

WR George Rushing
DE Chikwe Obasih
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:39:24 AM by ELA »
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

grillrat

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Purdue (3-2, 1-1) at #7 Wisconsin (5-0, 2-0) Game Week
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 01:06:46 PM »
From the sounds of things, Purdue will still be without Fuller (1st string RB).  Knox and Jones were OK this past weekend against Minnesota, but Fuller is just that much better.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
Looks like Purdue has given up a lot of sacks this year, along with a few picks. The QB's don't seem to be very mobile. Am I reading this right?
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »
The memorable Kyle Orton flip play has kicked off an 11 game Wisconsin winning streak, and none since then has been closer than 11 points.  The average MOV has been 24.3 ppg.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »
All streaks come to an end eventually. This one will, but probably not this weekend.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

grillrat

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »
Looks like Purdue has given up a lot of sacks this year, along with a few picks. The QB's don't seem to be very mobile. Am I reading this right?
Might depend who the starter will be.  Bit of a QB controversy brewing.  Blough was seen as better overall, but he has been fighting a bad shoulder and his decision to throw it into coverage has led to 4 particularly bad interceptions.  It wouldn't surprise me if Sindelar gets the starting nod this week.  While Bloughs numbers are better overall, Sindelar has the stronger arm and has performed better against the 3 good defenses that Purdue has played so far (Louisville, Michigan, Minnesota).

Brutus Buckeye

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
While a Spoilermaker showing would make the B1G West race a little more exciting, I have to imagine that they are going to be seriously outmatched this weekend. 
1919, 20, 21, 28, 29, 31, 34, 35, 36, 37, 42, 44
WWH: 1952, 54, 55, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 72, 74, 75
1979, 81, 82, 84, 87, 94, 98
2001, 02, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
From the sounds of things, Purdue will still be without Fuller (1st string RB).  Knox and Jones were OK this past weekend against Minnesota, but Fuller is just that much better.

RB is the one position that doesn't worry me so much. Fuller has potentially more ability to create on his own (which is necessary with our OL), but Knox and Jones are both very talented backs, and Brohm has done a halfway decent job getting them the ball in space to negate some of those OL deficiencies.

Blough is sneaky mobile. Reminds me of Brees a little bit in that way, as he can make things happen with his legs on scrambles pretty well. But as griller points out, his tendency to throw the ball into coverage also reminds me of some of the bad decisions Brees used to make lol... Sindelar isn't very mobile at all.

The sacks have been more due to the OL in my opinion than the QB, though. Although I don't think either of them have really been great "feeling" the pressure and avoiding it.

The memorable Kyle Orton flip play has kicked off an 11 game Wisconsin winning streak, and none since then has been closer than 11 points.  The average MOV has been 24.3 ppg.
All streaks come to an end eventually. This one will, but probably not this weekend.

Yep. This is the one game--potentially even beyond Michigan--that Purdue fans have placed the Sharpie "L" next to on the schedule for many years. 

Even with a run defense that has looked really stout so far this year, we haven't faced a line full of bulldozers like what the Badgers line up. And the Badger defense is really good despite not getting the press that their offense gets.

I don't see Purdue winning this game, and potentially see this as the only other game left on our schedule where I expect a double-digit loss.

jhetfield99

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 11:57:33 PM »
Blough actually runs really well and is great on roll outs, has good vision for when to scramble (think Drew when he was at Purdue), but he holds the ball too long and takes a lot of unneeded sacks.  That and puzzlelingly bad decisions to throws into triple coverage are his 2 weaknesses.  Otherwise, he's been a damn good QB, not kidding.  He'll run the offense terrifically, complete like 12 of 14, and then either throw a TD or a really awful pick.

Sindelar is more like Philip Rivers in stature, but is sneaky good at backpeddling and throwing across the field on screens or shallow crosses on some of Brohm's well called plays, but overall, he is not mobile

Right now, I still think Blough is the better guy to run the O, he goes through his progressions better, but I would argue Sindelar deserves to start and play a whole game.  He has had a lot of really strong moments this year, the 2nd half is exhibit A.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:08:00 AM by jhetfield99 »

jhetfield99

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 12:04:52 AM »
The memorable Kyle Orton flip play has kicked off an 11 game Wisconsin winning streak, and none since then has been closer than 11 points.  The average MOV has been 24.3 ppg.
We've had a loss by less than 3 scores?   I don't remember one, I thought everyone had been by at least 17, with most of the losses by like 40, including at least 1 shut out (I was at that one in '09, oy!).  Oh wait, just hit me, did Hazell have a loss up there where we literally didn't try to win and we kept running the ball even though it was admitting defeat?

Either way, I love, LOVE what Brohm is doing and have complete 100% faith he is taking us to big things once he gets enough time to get his players to create depth.  With that huge Minn win, I think we win 7 if not 8 (absolutely mindbogglingly insane to be saying that with a straight face considering where we were last year), but let me break the news to everyone.....it ain't happening this weekend. 

Wisc has them big corn fed boys on the OL like they always do, and will pummel us into submission just like Mich did, except for I actually fear more of an asskicking since unlike Mich, Wisc is legit now and not a year away.  If this is somehow still a 1 score game at the half, it will quickly change by the late 3rd quarter unless Wisc completely looks ahead along with having a -4 TO margin.

Wisc will win.  I'll go with 45-17.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:10:21 AM by jhetfield99 »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 07:15:05 AM »
Purdue gets the award for best coaching hire of the offseason. It wasn't splashy. It wasn't cutsie. It wasn't row the boatsie (dodged a bullet there).

Brohm is going to turn that program around - already is.

Wilcox at Cal comes in 2nd place on my list.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
No question.

Really the only question with Brohm is can they keep him?

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 07:52:43 AM »
With Morgan no longer there, we can only hope that PU will open the wallet and give him some of that TV money to keep him there. Tiller proved it could be a destination. Maybe Brohm could do the same.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 07:59:10 AM »
With Morgan no longer there, we can only hope that PU will open the wallet and give him some of that TV money to keep him there. Tiller proved it could be a destination. Maybe Brohm could do the same.
Joe Tiller was a.) a different cat than almost any football coach and b.) a decade older than Brohm when Purdue hired him.  I think age, more than anything, kept him off most radars.  I think we broke this down when discussing the Riley hire, about how rare it was for a P5 program to hire a head coach of his age.  Granted Tiller wasn't as old as Riley was either.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.