header pic

The SEC Forum at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Temperature in Fayetteville?

(Read 7507 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Temperature in Fayetteville?
« on: October 08, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »
Is Bielema toast, or is he safe because if his buyout? That's an ugly loss to a fairly mediocre team, it seems. He's 2-3 now and it's hard to see any certain wins outside of Coastal and Mizzou - if even Mizzou. Maybe Ole Miss??
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Temperature in Fayetteville?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:03:18 PM »
I keep looking at how many higher end programs could be looking for a new coach in the SEC in January.  I think this is a bad time to fire a guy, but I'm sure plenty will be fired.  Then what?  Bidding war?  Get a third best choice?  Get someone worse?

Sumlin may be OK at A&M, but that is doubtful.  I don't think Orgeron saved his job.  Butch Jones is thought to be done.  Ole Miss and Mizzou may join the fray.  Vandy might be out of a coach.  Miss State might be grumbling a bit.

I'd say Tenn and LSU are almost certain to be looking, and Arky, Ole Miss, and Mizzou are also likely.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:09:15 PM »
i'm not sold that CBJ is gone, yet... he will likely be after this weekend coming, though.. .

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
I see a lot of prospective openings by January in the SEC alone.

They won't all materialize, but many will I think.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
LSU can't afford Orgeron's buyout right now.  At this particular moment, it's more likely AD Alleva will be fired first and the new AD would probably give O a year (or two) before bringing in his own guy.  AD's fate is definitely tied to O's in failure, though not necessarily in success.

The win over Florida almost certainly saved Alleva's job this week, though not permanently.  

O does seem to have sold some people who matter that LSU is more of a rebuild than anyone thought.  I myself will admit that while a lot of things about him make me think he's a poor coach, he's had a inordinate number of things stacked against him that LSU is not used to.   

Auburn and Alabama are almost certainly losses.  Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and A&M are all winnable, and LSU probably gets 2 or 3 of those, I'd say right now.  That's probably enough for O to be here next year, everything else considered.  I'm not as certain about the AD.  If O stays it probably means Alleva isn't fired, though not certain.  If O is gone, Alleva is almost certainly gone first.  

EastAthens

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 11:25:17 PM »
I think everyone is safe except the guys at Tenn., Mizzou and Ole Miss.  I think Arky gives Bielema one more year.

just1hog

• Walk On
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:37:39 AM »
CBB's buyout is 14 million right now, but there is a LOT of grumbling... swapping out coordinators is getting old...

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 08:03:44 AM »
I guess this buy out clause is standard these days?  I don't like it, especially when it is so high.

A coach is not going to be effective is the only thing saving his job is a buyout.  He knows it, the team knows it, everyone knows it.  He's only there because it's too costly to fire him.

Not good psych.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 11:41:15 AM »
Did Bielema sign an extension or new contract recently?  $14 mil buyout is on the high end for a coach in the middle or end of their contract.

O's buyout if they fired him this year is $12 mil.  It goes down 3 mil every subsequent year.  So if LSU gives him the standard 3 years they could fire him at 6 million cheaper.  His buyout is actually median for the league contracts around the SEC....it's not out of whack with all your coaches at all.  

What's got our AD in hot water, amongst a slew of other things, is why he allowed a coach with O's history and zero leverage to have a buyout like that.  One school of thought says he got O at a discount salary and a university wants to project that they are invested in their guy, if for no other reason than trying to attract the next guy, and the buyout is standard, so it's okay.  Another school of thought says O had no other job offers, a wretched history at Ole Miss, and LSU is his dream job by his own admission, and LSU should've lowballed him on every front.  

Other than the money they make, I'm glad I don't have to make some of those decisions. 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »
I always liked Coach B but I'm starting to wonder if his success in Madison more about the program and less about him. I don't begrudge his leaving at all - he wanted to build his own program. I get that. I wonder if he should have held out a year or two more for a job at a school in better recruiting grounds, with more recent positive history.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »
Could be.  I don't understand that allure, but not everyone is built the same.  I wouldn't leave Wisconsin for Arkansas, but that's just me.  

Arkansas did have some success with Petrino, on the field at least.  They did well in his time there.  

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 06:03:56 AM »
Wisconsin does not seem dependent on who the coach might be (to me).

Arkansas is.

Look at USCe with Spurrier, a very different kettle of fish.  Holtz did well there also.  Coaches of that caliber are rare.

I have not checked on how Arkansas is recruiting of late.  Maybe they just don't have the ponies.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 10:38:49 AM »
Wisconsin does not seem dependent on who the coach might be (to me).
Oh, trust me, it would have mattered had the last one stayed.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »
It matters who the coach is at every school.  Nobody is immune to average or bad coaching.  Not Michigan, not Texas, not Alabama, not USC.  Wisconsin is no different. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.