header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: 2018 OT Tourney (1st Round) - Instant Replay vs. Tearaway jerseys illegal

(Read 1746 times)

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
SYSTEMIC CHANGES
End of TV monopoly
Recruiting coverage
Early NFL Draft entry
SYSTEM RULE CHANGES
Academic ineligibility
CFP
Conference championship games
GAME RULE CHANGES
OT
Narrower hashmarks
GAME PLAY CHANGES
Wishbone
SEC integration

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
While I think replay is in general a good thing, I think the rule as is, is horribly botched.  Too much is reviewed, it slows things down too much.

I like replay as a part of the strategy of the game.  I would give each team two challenges.  If you win both, you get to keep going until you get one wrong.  Nothing is automatically reviewed.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
I like your alternative as well.  

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
I think that also puts risk/reward analysis back in play.  There was a call in an MSU game a couple years back, maybe against Indiana?  The Indiana player easily picked up the first down, and had like a 30 yard gain.  They then stopped play to review if he had stepped out like 2 yards earlier, and it was so close, I couldn't tell, I thought they'd uphold the call, which the ultimately I think did.  But either way, it was going to be 1st and 10, just from either the 26 or the 28.  I think in the risk/reward, the reward was so small, no coach would ever challenge that, unless it was blatantly obvious.  Instead we had a long stoppage for something that was too close to call, that was ultimately sort of meaningless.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
That is a very good point.  1st and 10 at the 26 vs 1st and 10 at the 28 isn't worth reviewing and if you had challenges only then it wouldn't get reviewed.  

Also, I don't like that I get the impression now that referees sometimes basically wait for the review because they know it is coming instead of just making the calls to the best of their ability.  

MarqHusker

• Team Captain
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
I hate review.  Football is imminently less enjoyable because of it.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
instant replay is only bearable when the team you are rooting for gets screwed by the call on the field
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.