header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Fairweather Fandom?

(Read 4760 times)

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Fairweather Fandom?
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 02:18:13 PM »
Only Badger game I can remember leaving early was against Austin Peay in 2010. It was boring from the start and wasn't going to get any better. I think we left at the end of the 3rd quarter after Jump Around. We may have left before then. Not a memorable game.

SFIrish is generally happy to leave early unless it's a good game. I always resist, but in baseball I generally cave.

As for games on TV, there are a thousand reasons not to watch entire games. I don't think of it in remotely the same way.

Wow, this reminds me how long it's been since I've been to a Badger game in person. It's been a LONG time now. Hopefully I'll fix that this fall...

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 02:43:26 PM »
I booked my hotel room for our one game this season. UNL it is.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 03:33:11 PM »

I agree completely on this.  Even on TV I almost always stick through the losses at least until it gets to the point that there is just no plausible chance and even then I only move on if I have something pressing to do.  With wins though I frequently switch to a different game or go do something that I need to do once a game I am watching on TV gets to the point that my team is sticking in 3rd stringers and waterboys.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 07:05:31 PM »
"Fan" is short for fanatic, so if you're anything other than fanatical about watching your team, then you're not really a fan.

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 10:15:32 AM »

PSUinNC

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
You can only take so much as a 'fan'.  This is about entertainment.  You spend your hard earned money on something that's supposed to entertain and amuse you.  If it doesn't, why should you be thought of differently for not wanting to waste your time?

Consider a movie - you get the benefit of a trailer, what it'll kinda be like.  If you want, you pay to see it.  If you don't, you don't.  If you get half way through it, just b/c you paid for it are you going to continue watching?

I've been through 20 years of Pirates losing, putrid Pens hockey in the early 2000's, some really down PSU years at that same time.  I paid attention, sure (especially PSU), but did I actively look to spend my time and money on something I knew wasn't going to entertain me?  Heck no.  Same goes for the Pirates right now - Pittsburgh is REVOLTING against this ownership.  Doesn't make them bad fans (well, many things make Pittsburghers in general bad fans but that's another story), makes them not interested in patronizing something that doesn't entertain them.  

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 04:49:24 PM »
Nebraska or Illinois are the most likely. Going to have to weigh some external factors...

SFBadger96

• Starter
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 04:50:34 PM »
I agree completely on this.  Even on TV I almost always stick through the losses at least until it gets to the point that there is just no plausible chance and even then I only move on if I have something pressing to do.  With wins though I frequently switch to a different game or go do something that I need to do once a game I am watching on TV gets to the point that my team is sticking in 3rd stringers and waterboys.  
This is what the DVR is for...I record just about every game, then decide whether to watch (as I'm generally coaching my kids' soccer games during the live broadcast).

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 08:18:16 PM »
my usual trip to Madison????
I'll make that decision halfway through the season
not making the trip for another expected blowout
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.