header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Foster Farms Bowl: Purdue (7-6) vs Arizona (7-6) Post Game

(Read 7328 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Foster Farms Bowl: Purdue (6-6) vs Arizona (7-5) Thread
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
Good points, I can respect the desire for piece of mind.  We were  reluctant to face scalpers for an AU v UGA game, so we just buckled down on StubHub.
yup, my first bowl game after the 93 season, I had no idea and the internet wasn't humming yet.  I bought tickets early for the Husker/Seminole orange bowl and sat in the upper corner.
went back a year later for the victory over the canes in the Orange bowl.  Splurged and paid good money early for great seats.  good call.
went to the Fiesta for the #1 vs #2 huskers/gators after the 95 season.  sold out early.  ex-wife bought me a standing room only ticket before xmas.  While walking to the stadium I could have purchased a much better seat for $20 more.  Didn't spend any time checking other scalpers.  assumed I could have done better scalping
the Rose bowl vs the Canes was worse, my brother and others I was traveling with needed peace of mind so we purchased tickets early, as I parked the rental car on the golf course I was immediately greeted by scalpers that had fist fulls of better tickets for about half of what we had paid.
I also scalped tickets for our party of 4 for the Husker's Big Ten champ game in Indy an hour before kick.  Good seats for less money than face.
but, I understand peace of mind and having good seats as opposed to poor seats.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

jhetfield99

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »
Hey @bwarbiany I ordered through JPC for some of my fraternity bros who work in the Tech Valley.  They got the high priced tix, $129 each.  They will be between the 20's in the section closest to the field.

And when I say I ordered through JPC, that was just for priority last Friday.  The Purdue Athletic ticket block should be on general sale now, and you would simply be behind those guys now.

If I heard correctly Purdue has to sell 7k tix to not have to eat any.

While all the hype and hope was for Nashville to make the super easy road trip, I think Purdue will get a pretty decent crowd since it's been 5 years since last bowl.  Everybody knew we were going to get crushed by #10 Okie St in Dallas in 2012, as we didn't even have a coach at that point, and there still was a pretty darn solid Purdue contingent there.

jhetfield99

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »

Edit:  here it is according to a secondary market site:  Purdue will be along the sideline in front of sections 135-141 while Arizona will be along sections 111-119.    That suggests the best sideline seats, not the corners.  I'd still make a phone call to Purdue.
Yup, JPC told me C135 to 141 are the good seats they get, so the ones that are $129.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
Well, my girlfriend is in charge on the tickets. Merry Christmas to me :)

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Foster Farms Bowl: Purdue (7-6) vs Arizona (7-6) Post Game
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
Hey Bwar, how was the game?  While I was watching it on TV I remembered that you were going.  I hope you had a  great time!  

As far as the game:
I'm really glad the B1G got another win to get to 2-0.  Right after the half I thought the Boilers had a chance to blow it wide open.  Too bad they didn't, but they did what they needed to do and got the W.  

CatsbyAZ

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
Congrats to Purdue & Coach Brohm. Tough game winning drive to watch if you're on the losing side of the rooting interest.

If you're a Wildcats fan like me, it's not losing a game like this that's the bummer, it's knowing the defense under RichRod will be an after thought and thus never be able to close out games, even when they did post one of their better efforts of the season during that 2nd half.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »
I was very surprised Purdue won that game on that last drive.   I felt in the 2nd half Purdue should have pounded Arz DL more and instead kept with the passing game, even though the Purdue QB cooled and began missing wide open guys. 

Arizona... I really thought they'd be more successful on the edges, but credit Purdue and the LB core for staying home, shedding blocks and knowing their assignments.   I thought they played an excellent game and kept Arizona from being more successful on the edge or with any misdirection plays. 

fezzador

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
Good win for Purdue.  Brohm may be bringing Basketball on Grass, Part 2 to West Lafayette.  If he continues to succeed, will he stay or will he bolt for a bigger job?  There probably won't be as many attractive openings after next season, so I fully expect him to be around at least until 2019, but after that, who knows.

Arizona seems to be caught between a rock and a hard place - RichRod probably won't get them over the hump, but he's also not doing poorly enough to be relieved of his duties.  For right now, the best he can hope for is duking it out for 3rd place (USC/UCLA will be a doozie for the next few years)

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »
Umm, what?  Not that RichRod needs to be told not to play defense

@slmandel: Remember that Purdue fake kneel down play? Both Rich Rod & Arizona's players say the refs told them beforehand it was a kneel & not to rush the passer.

grillrat

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2017, 11:44:58 AM »
Yeah, while perusing various message boards last night after the game (I drank 5 Mt. Dews during the game so it took me a while to go to sleep) a few were discussing this.  Most of the people who had reffing experience hated that play.  Refs will tell defenses to not try to spear the offense players who are taking a knee for player safety.  The posters were afraid this would set a bad precedence and defenses would always crash the victory formation because there is a chance the offense is faking.

In this case, I think the refs saw a kneeling play and told the defense to not crash, but since the offense never specifically told them they were taking a knee, they couldn't throw a flag on it.  I guess there was a Michigan game a few years ago where something similar happened and the refs called a foul citing "intent to deceive" or something like that.

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2017, 12:14:27 PM »
I'd suggest you don't need to crash, but at the same time, you don't have to just stand still.   Part of the issue or success of the play was Arizona basically stood still and didn't react. 

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2017, 01:00:31 PM »
In this case, I think the refs saw a kneeling play and told the defense to not crash, but since the offense never specifically told them they were taking a knee, they couldn't throw a flag on it.  I guess there was a Michigan game a few years ago where something similar happened and the refs called a foul citing "intent to deceive" or something like that.
They were, but totally different circumstances.  There UM huddled up with like 14 guys, and 4, including Butt ran out before breaking the huddle, towards the sidelines.  Three ran off, but Butt stood right on the sidelines, and UM broke the huddle with only 10 men.  Rutgers assumed Butt had subbed out, didn't cover him, they threw it to him, but that was a 15 yard penalty, for simulating substitution as a matter of deception.  That one IIRC is spelled out very clearly in the rulebook, as weird as the wording was at the time, it was an obviously correct call.
This is different.  I don't think there is any rule against crashing the line, it's just one of those unwritten rules.  I do agree that it may lead to teams refusing to honor that, and may lead to a rule change down the line about running a play out of a victory formation.

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2017, 01:01:08 AM »
Hey Bwar, how was the game?  While I was watching it on TV I remembered that you were going.  I hope you had a  great time!  

Great time! Got to tailgate a little bit with @integrinB4 (thanks for the beers Mike!), and then we had 6th-row seats right on the 25 yard line. I'm surprised I didn't have a heart attack during that 2nd half, but the right team won in the end. 

I think the game played out about how I expected. Purdue sold out against the run, and basically contained it well. They unfortunately sold out a little TOO hard, giving Tate some wide-open receivers in completely busted coverage. Of Tate's 5 touchdown passes, at least 3 were completely blown coverage. The first one was right after Purdue's starting safety went out with an injury, and they just abused his replacement. But they kept burning us when safeties played too run-heavy all game.

I was very surprised Purdue won that game on that last drive.   I felt in the 2nd half Purdue should have pounded Arz DL more and instead kept with the passing game, even though the Purdue QB cooled and began missing wide open guys.

Arizona... I really thought they'd be more successful on the edges, but credit Purdue and the LB core for staying home, shedding blocks and knowing their assignments.   I thought they played an excellent game and kept Arizona from being more successful on the edge or with any misdirection plays.  
Disagree a little. In the 3rd quarter Sindelar had a couple throws that were on target but Mahongou couldn't catch them. One of which resulted in the interception; a catchable ball that Mahongou tipped into the DB's hands. We weren't making great strides running the ball at the time, but if a few of those passes had been caught it would have changed the game. 

I thought Tate did an exceptional job of avoiding sacks, but Purdue made sure he didn't beat us with his legs. Damn near beat us with his arm though.

Yeah, while perusing various message boards last night after the game (I drank 5 Mt. Dews during the game so it took me a while to go to sleep) a few were discussing this.  Most of the people who had reffing experience hated that play.  Refs will tell defenses to not try to spear the offense players who are taking a knee for player safety.  The posters were afraid this would set a bad precedence and defenses would always crash the victory formation because there is a chance the offense is faking.

In this case, I think the refs saw a kneeling play and told the defense to not crash, but since the offense never specifically told them they were taking a knee, they couldn't throw a flag on it.  I guess there was a Michigan game a few years ago where something similar happened and the refs called a foul citing "intent to deceive" or something like that.
When I saw them come out in that formation I was confused. There was a minute left and AZ had 3 time outs. There's no way you take a knee there because you'll punt the ball to them and give them 45 seconds to drive for a FG or TD. I was so taken aback by it that I actually said out loud "What the hell are we doing?! There's too much time left!"

If you're trying to go into the half with the lead, you run the ball and hope to secure *1* first down or get enough yardage on that first down that AZ doesn't stop the clock for you. You absolutely don't take a knee because then they know they can burn 3 TOs and get the ball with time.

Anyone on that field should have known the time / TO situation and known that Brohm is NOT stupid enough to take a knee there. If Arizona's defense didn't respect that, that's on them and their coaches for failing to be prepared.

TresselownsUM

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2017, 11:27:01 AM »
Good win for Purdue.  Brohm may be bringing Basketball on Grass, Part 2 to West Lafayette.  If he continues to succeed, will he stay or will he bolt for a bigger job? 

I'm wary of giving guys extensions after 1 year, it backfires a many of times (Charlie Weiss) but I'd probably discuss it with Brohm and get a massive buyout, so at least when he bolts you get some cash back. It'd be great if he stayed for a decade, but if he keeps winning 7-8 games at purdue he'll get a shot to move on somewhere else. no ties like fitz at NU

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.