header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 211156 times)

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2017, 09:52:45 AM »
How do you like Sumlin now.

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2017, 11:08:14 AM »
'bout the same as always.  Had he managed the clock even just marginally better against UCLA.... we'd be sitting here at 6-1 with a close loss to the #1 team in the country.  So about par for the course this time of year.  No reason to be wildly for or against him as far as I can tell.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
I will say considering the magnitude of ill-will and fallout from all factions of Texas A&M toward Sumlin following his infamous UCLA meltdown, I am surprised that he has held it together enough to only lose to Bama.  Some credit is due there somewhere.

I fully expected Sumlin (and his team) to pack it in after a regent said GTHO, and some loony sent that letter.  It all still stinks, and given the chance, I think Sumlin would jump at another offer.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2017, 11:24:44 AM »
There is far too much discussion on these boards about horn football...... seriously, why so much talk here about some also ran program with a hangup for playing concussed QBs?

Not nearly enough discussion about topics that really matter...... beer..... women..... tex-mex food.....
I hope to be visiting my Brother in Arlington in February........  I'm encouraged to learn there is a Bone Daddy's (women) and a Chuy's (tex-mex) on Int 20 near the UT-A campus.  I'm confident I will find some beer.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
He still might.... and if he does... it'd be exactly what our fanbase deserves.  

If someone were to force me to make a decision on whether to keep Sumlin, or let him go... I'd say keep him.  While we may still be on track to win just 8 games (again... ugh)... it's been a tumultuous year for the Aggies, as it has been for the entire SEC sans Bama.  Hell at this rate, 8 wins may be enough to finish second in the West... who knows.  And if more Aggies are honest with themselves, 8 wins is more than they were expecting going into this season.

And that's all with a true freshman QB, a shaky Oline and a pedestrian WR corps (outside of Kirk).  Truth be told.... not a bad job.

At the end of the day... I WANT Sumlin to succeed.  I like him as a coach.  But.... I don't get to make the call.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »
So anyway, just got back yesterday afternoon from the COTA racetrack.  What an awesome weekend of Formula 1 racing.  Met tons of folks from out of the country, including a huge group of Aussies that we introduced to American football and tequila shots whilst watching the Longhorns in between on-track action on Saturday.

For a Ferrari fan, it was a good day with cars finishing 2 and 3.  But of course I really wanted Vettel to win the race and Hamilton to struggle, to keep alive Ferrari's chances of taking the World Driver's Championship.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2017, 02:37:05 PM »
no beer, women, or Tex-mex in that post, but you're getting warmer

couldn't you at least describe a few of the young exotic ladies that were introduced to tequila?

oh, and you just had to mention horns football for Shiner
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2017, 12:59:48 PM »
Speaking of recipes (on the Astros thread), anyone have a good bread pudding recipe?  It's my mom's favorite and her birthday is this weekend so I was thinking I might try to make it for her.

There are plenty of them on the intertoobz that look correct enough, but thought someone around here might be able to contribute.

Best bread puddings I've ever had have been in Louisiana, so... paging MDT? :)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
My telework Thursdays continue with more fattening '70s classics my momma used to make.  Today I'm cooking shake and bake chicken, a hashbrown casserole with sour cream and cheddar cheese in it and topped with corn flakes, french cut green beans and garlic butter Texas toast slices.

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »
My telework Thursdays continue with more fattening '70s classics my momma used to make.  Today I'm cooking shake and bake chicken, a hashbrown casserole with sour cream and cheddar cheese in it and topped with corn flakes, french cut green beans and garlic butter Texas toast slices.
That was pretty much our every-Wednesday meal for about the first 14 years of my life.  I mean, every single dish and side, the same.  Did all women in the 70s/early 80s cook from the exact same cookbook?

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2017, 05:45:22 PM »
Did all women in the 70s/early 80s cook from the exact same cookbook?
So you Betty Crocker's will concede that it was women doing the cooking in the 70s/80s?  Cuz you worry me fellas.
It's 2017 and my wife would run me out of the kitchen if I so much as toasted a pop tart.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »
Casseroles were definitely a staple in my house growing up.  The more cheesy, the better.

At ACL Fest this year we got some frozen bananas from Bananarchy, which I guess is a food truck there in Austin(?), but it was pretty damn good.  I need to figure out a way to make some mini ones for Christmas treats this year. Hadn't been to ACL Fest in over 10 years, but the food choices were awesome.  

Met a group of Bama fans while I was there who traveled down for all 3 days of the weekend festival.  Not sure if it's a normal thing with Bama fans and I just didn't know it, but the dude we were talking to ended every sentence with "Roll Tide", as if it was a case of Tourette's or something.  "Yeah, the bathroom line wasn't too bad 10 mins ago, Roll Tide".   "We were over in that area for the Chili Peppers, Roll Tide".    I wasn't sure if it was more funny or annoying, but he was nice enough other than the constant hammering of his favorite phrase.  

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:53:13 PM by UT-Erin03 »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »
So you Betty Crocker's will concede that it was women doing the cooking in the 70s/80s?  Cuz you worry me fellas.
It's 2017 and my wife would run me out of the kitchen if I so much as toasted a pop tart.
Well I can't speak for the entire generation, but Slick mentioned it was his momma, and for it was pretty much my momma on weekdays.
But on weekends my dad cooked a lot.  He ALWAYS made the big breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday mornings which usually consisted of scrambled eggs con chorizo, hash browns, bacon, toast, milk, OJ, etc.  And on weekend evenings he loved to grill hamburgers, steaks, pork chops, beer can chicken, and the like.  And he also loved to BBQ.  To this day his BBQ brisket and ribs are the best I've ever eaten, and I've eaten at every single "traditional, noteworthy" BBQ restaurant in the state of Texas.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2017, 06:40:04 PM »
Roll Tide Tourette’s ... ha!

Cuz, have you been to Soulmans BBQ in Terrell (or elsewhere I guess it’s a chain).  My brother took me there on my last Texas trip - pretty good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:43:28 PM by CousinFreddie »

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.