header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 211316 times)

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2017, 02:20:26 PM »
Regarding the ketchup on corn dog discussion earlier, I seem to recall a funny quote from an otherwise terrible remake of the Bad News Bears where some kid says "My dad says the only people who put ketchup on hot dogs are mental patients and Texans."  

Hilarious because I would imagine we're the last people in the US to reach for a bottle of ketchup.  Our condiments are legion.   

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
Fried hamburger on a stick. 

I'm gonna do it. 

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2017, 02:36:24 PM »

True story: We are in the process of adopting another dog. I found this one last week and was debating on applying for him, but he would have to be willing to change names.  I'm not sure I could call for him with his current name and keep a straight face: 

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/39557902

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
Corndog.  It's a good name.

I always wanted to have a dog named "Mrs. Jones," "Mizz Jackson," or "Mrs. Peel."  I always thought that be a cute name for a little dog.

And then I could say things like, "me and Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones."  Or "Sorry Mizz Jackson, I am for real."  

As for Mrs. Peel, do any of you remember the original British series, "The Avengers"?  When I was a kid, British shows like that came on PBS to provide us with a more cosmopolitan point of view.

I can still recall young Diana Riggs in her leather pantsuit.  

Mmm... Mrs. Peel.

It would have to be a very good looking dog to deserve that moniker.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »
True story: We are in the process of adopting another dog. I found this one last week and was debating on applying for him, but he would have to be willing to change names.  I'm not sure I could call for him with his current name and keep a straight face:

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/39557902

you get that critter around the wrong crew at the wrong time, and after a few puffs, the bottle of ketchup may come out and a foot pursuit ensued.... definitely change the name...

an aside:  three weeks ago i adopted a new pup- had to drive five hours to get him (actually, sent wife and kids off on that lil' trip)... couldn't believe i found a cane corso for free- (well, adoption fee's not withstanding).  he's going to be huge- he's 14 weeks old and 37 pounds, standing right at 16" at the shoulder... he's scrawny because he's growing so fast his weight/proportions can't keep up.... so far he's a blast.  i lost my rescued catahoula leopard dog in late june/early july after ten years with her (adopted her at around 4yo) and wanted another as seemingly fierce as she was.... this guy will fill that role for certain... he should top somewhere between 130 and 180 with a shoulder height of somewhere around 28".... i refused to chop and dock his, but otherwise- he'll look like a massive pitbull- or a massive pitbull that hasn't been docked and chopped...  

i wager anyone approaching my ladies with bad intentions when i'm not around will quickly alter their plans after seeing this guy (after he's fully grown).   
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:51:53 PM by Drew4UTk »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2017, 02:59:41 PM »
I always wanted to have a dog named "Mrs. Jones,"

And then I could say things like, "me and Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones."
Given the context, I wouldn't sing any further into that song.
Your intent goes from charming to alarming in a hurry.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
Congrats on your new addition @Drew4UTk , and sorry for your loss. Catahoulas are so interesting and sweet, for sure. 

We lost our senior in July as well, and our pup that we still have has been terribly lonely and a little depressed.  Not sure if corndog is the answer, but looking to find one that would mesh with her personality.  

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2017, 03:18:07 PM »
thank you @UT-Erin03 ... she was possibly the best dog i'll ever have had the opportunity to meet.   her 'pound' name was 'coco', which was changed to 'soco' (like southern comfort), which helped in her responding to the new name and paid homage to her catahoula breeding (state dog of Louisiana)... she rescued me as much as anything.

there were three breeds i was watching for once the shock of her passing wore- a presa de canario, a dogo argente, and a cane corso... the one i found (named vito) is the american version (not the italian), and they go a size or two larger than their italian kinfolk, and have much larger head proportions... i could really care less how he looks, though- as it's their temperament with 'family' as opposed to strangers that i like.... weird crap is encroaching in my 'hood, literally, and.... this ought to offer a layer of protection...

are you a really active type?  

i have a friend with an Australian Shepard.. he literally runs that dog 20+miles a day five days a week... he's a competitive mountain biker, and the dog follows along him on the trail (5.25miles a lap for five laps) every time he goes... he bails out and chills in the truck most often on the last lap, he say's, and has since he was a pup... great dog- and madness that it has that much energy and stamina... dog has to be every bit of ten years old, now.  

that dog may be too smart to not have a very active outlet.   

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:40 PM »
Im sorry to hear about your loss too Drew.  We had a Golden for 11 years and I still miss her.  Aren’t in a position to have a dog now so I find myself needing a wet nose fix pretty often - anytime I’m in a place like hanging out at a table in front of a coffee shop and a candidate canine comes by, I’ll extend my hand and see if I get the nose treatment.  Our golden had a way of sticking her nose under any outstretched hand and kind of moving her head up to signal that a good ear scratch would be welcome.  I think a lot of dogs have that gene.

And she also had endless energy.  I trained for a marathon back in ‘04 and she was my personal trainer.  We’d go to Lief Erickson trail in forest park above Portland, which is 11 miles long with quarter mile posts.  About 1000’ of relief.  Perfect for out and backs including of course those long 20 milers you do a month or so before the big day.  It’s a popular trail so lots of folks on it and I kept her on leash, usually.  

But at the end of one of those really long runs, we were both covered in trail mud, and I was wiped out, and I mistakenly thought it’d be okay to let her go off leash as we walked back to the car.  She’d be beat too, right?

Wrong.  First couple that came walking the other way suddenly had a big muddy golden retriever planting her paws on one of their chests with wildly lolling tongue and total glee to greet them!  The 20 miler hadn’t phased her a bit!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:33:04 PM by CousinFreddie »

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2017, 04:47:17 PM »
thank you @UT-Erin03 ... she was possibly the best dog i'll ever have had the opportunity to meet.   her 'pound' name was 'coco', which was changed to 'soco' (like southern comfort), which helped in her responding to the new name and paid homage to her catahoula breeding (state dog of Louisiana)... she rescued me as much as anything.

there were three breeds i was watching for once the shock of her passing wore- a presa de canario, a dogo argente, and a cane corso... the one i found (named vito) is the american version (not the italian), and they go a size or two larger than their italian kinfolk, and have much larger head proportions... i could really care less how he looks, though- as it's their temperament with 'family' as opposed to strangers that i like.... weird crap is encroaching in my 'hood, literally, and.... this ought to offer a layer of protection...

are you a really active type?  

i have a friend with an Australian Shepard.. he literally runs that dog 20+miles a day five days a week... he's a competitive mountain biker, and the dog follows along him on the trail (5.25miles a lap for five laps) every time he goes... he bails out and chills in the truck most often on the last lap, he say's, and has since he was a pup... great dog- and madness that it has that much energy and stamina... dog has to be every bit of ten years old, now.  

that dog may be too smart to not have a very active outlet.  
When I met my husband, he had the two Australian shepherds that were sisters from the same litter.  He was a coach at the time for soccer & cross-country, and did run multiple times a week with them.  He no longer coaches, but we still do neighborhood walks and he runs with the one we have left a couple of times a week.  She has turned into a frisbee dog, though, so most of the her exercise is chasing the frisbee in the yard which is great for me because I can just plant my butt on the patio chair and she brings it right over.  

Were hoping to stick with the breed because of the extreme loyalty, intelligence & easy training traits, and that they are not bolters.  Even when our dogs got out of our gate on accident once, they sat right in the front lawn watching cars & waiting for us to get home.  I  have been around dogs that can't be out of the house at all without a leash, but none of the Aussies I've been around are like that since they would rather be by their people than wandering alone.

<br /><br />

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »
We had a golden retriever from 1975 to 1990

Greatest children dog there is

Addy helped us raise both my boy and my girl

She was an outside dog unless it was raining or cold

when we would take her for a walk she would run 50 feet in front of us but would stop and sit at each

intersection she waited for the go ahead to cross

once we caught up and made sure no cars were coming Id say the word go and off she went until

the next intersection

If were met somebody going the other way she would come back to us so that we could attach her leash

I miss Addy to this day
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

MikeDeTiger

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2017, 06:51:07 PM »
Fried dog on a stick.

I'm gonna make a fortune in Vietnam.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »
pretty sure that's been done there
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »
There is far too much discussion on these boards about horn football...... seriously, why so much talk here about some also ran program with a hangup for playing concussed QBs?

Not nearly enough discussion about topics that really matter...... beer..... women..... tex-mex food.....

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.