header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 214286 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #476 on: December 14, 2017, 01:53:24 PM »
guess I'm too old for the Foo Fighters

of course I was too old for REM
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: December 14, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »
the best place to see show's by my reckoning is the bluebird in nashville and the house of blues in myrtle beach.  after going there, i really don't want to see a show elsewhere- and will wait until the band comes to either. 

REM was a great band- but not near as great as their lead man thought he was.  David Grohl from foo fighters is just plain badass- that goofy song they did when they first got together that had a video mocking a mento's commercial severely limited how serious i took them until later, but i'm glad i came around and gave them another shot.  He is an amazing artist. 

one of the things i am really diggin' on, at least in concept, is the 'home concert' thing some artists are doing...  basically a bunch of people get together and decide who they want to see- then collect the $ either via tickets or donation- and seek contract with the artist.  somebody offers up their home for the show, and there you have it.  If i didn't live on the edge of the earth, i'd do it in a heartbeat... set them up outside and let the drinks flow freely from the bar... 

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: December 14, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »
the rich and famous throw some pretty good parties with big name bands

I've attended a couple by invitation, but I don't run in those circles

either that or I'd just hire a local band from the area for a few hundred dollars
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #479 on: December 14, 2017, 02:23:06 PM »
guess I'm too old for the Foo Fighters

of course I was too old for REM
REM was in the latter stages of my time.  I enjoyed their music.  The Green album and Automatic For The People are must haves.  I never was much for following the personal or political lives of entertainers, so that never swayed my opinion good or bad.
I don't know no Foo Fighters.
I'm still waiting for the Prince album that I supposedly missed.  I can tell you it wasn't 1999 or Purple Rain.

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #480 on: December 14, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »

one of the things i am really diggin' on, at least in concept, is the 'home concert' thing some artists are doing...  basically a bunch of people get together and decide who they want to see- then collect the $ either via tickets or donation- and seek contract with the artist.  somebody offers up their home for the show, and there you have it.  If i didn't live on the edge of the earth, i'd do it in a heartbeat... set them up outside and let the drinks flow freely from the bar...
I went to one of those last year at my friend's house here in Houston!  That was really cool, just in their living room and people brought either chairs or pillows for the floor to sit on.  
It wasn't really a full band so there was plenty of space, but was the artist Alec Ounsworth from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah with his guitars and harmonica for a solo acoustic set.   My friend the homeowner had just applied through the online contest and had gotten selected, so I had to go and check it out for myself.  Truly a unique and different way to take in music!
http://www.undertowmusic.com/clap-your-hands-say-yeah-living-room-tour-summer-2016/

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #481 on: December 14, 2017, 02:32:25 PM »
we're certainly not talking headliners... but some names that come to mind that have done it that i know about are:

• reckless kelly
  • cross canadian ragweed
  • steve earle
  • lyle lovett+john hiatt (this is a fantastic show)
  • joe ely
  • robert earle keen
  • ray wilie hubbard
  • drive by truckers
  • billy joe shaver
  • wilco
  • rosanne cash
  • james mcmurty
  • ryan bingham

... and it can be done for a couple thousand dollars depending on complexity... the trick is to find the band/performer when they're local so lodging is easier (just extend a night), or not needed- and travel isn't a huge part of the overhead.  depending on how much in demand the performer(s) are/is, if every couple kicks in $200 ($100ea) and you get a collection of 50 people- that's $5k, and five grand covers the band (usually 60~70%), + the food and drinks, and any amp/equipment rentals.  you'd be surprised who you could bring in for that.  

it's usually a lot of fun- the artists kick out a few songs- interact with the crowd individually- a few more- have a few drinks with the crowd and mingle, toss down some chow, a few more songs- usually the folks who host these things are musically inclined and there are a few shared sets... Usually, the band/performer chosen was chosen by committee (crowd) and they're all fans- not strangers to the artists- and the artists love interacting with their fans in a closed and controlled environment.   it's a helluva lot of fun.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:35:43 PM by Drew4UTk »

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: December 14, 2017, 02:47:44 PM »
we're certainly not talking headliners... but some names that come to mind that have done it that i know about are:

• reckless kelly
  • cross canadian ragweed
  • steve earle
  • lyle lovett+john hiatt (this is a fantastic show)
  • joe ely
  • robert earle keen
  • ray wilie hubbard
  • drive by truckers
  • billy joe shaver
  • wilco
  • rosanne cash
  • james mcmurty
  • ryan bingham

... and it can be done for a couple thousand dollars depending on complexity... the trick is to find the band/performer when they're local so lodging is easier (just extend a night), or not needed- and travel isn't a huge part of the overhead.  depending on how much in demand the performer(s) are/is, if every couple kicks in $200 ($100ea) and you get a collection of 50 people- that's $5k, and five grand covers the band (usually 60~70%), + the food and drinks, and any amp/equipment rentals.  you'd be surprised who you could bring in for that.  

it's usually a lot of fun- the artists kick out a few songs- interact with the crowd individually- a few more- have a few drinks with the crowd and mingle, toss down some chow, a few more songs- usually the folks who host these things are musically inclined and there are a few shared sets... Usually, the band/performer chosen was chosen by committee (crowd) and they're all fans- not strangers to the artists- and the artists love interacting with their fans in a closed and controlled environment.   it's a helluva lot of fun.

The first 7 on your list all play in Austin regularly and I've seen them in all in small clubs/venues, some of them several times.  Really great shows, the lot of them.  Ray Wylie Hubbard in Luckenbach is something special.

Drew4UTk

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #483 on: December 14, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »
Ray Wilie Hubbard, his wife and son (Lucas maybe?) hung out with a group of us at Kevin Welch's (who also does home concerts) back in 2010- the dude gave me personal guitar lessons on his finger picking style- if you're interested, i can post a pic of the page where he graphed it in my notebook (i thought that was cool as it gets). 

most of those listed are in the Austin area (the Hubbard's and Welch live in Beverly)... getting a home show if you live near Austin is super easy and cheap..... waiting for one of these to make it to the edge where i'm at, and then to have buffer enough in their schedule to do it, is difficult.  

i envy the hell out of you living in that area for the music scene all by itself... 

CWSooner

• Team Captain
  • Liked:
« Reply #484 on: December 14, 2017, 09:24:16 PM »
You've got much bigger problems than some kind of block.  Between yours and C-Dubb's ramblings, this is becoming the old farts yelling at clouds thread.  Yippee!
Drive the old farts off, and you'll have about 3 posters left on this thread.
Play Like a Champion Today

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: December 15, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »
We should be so lucky!

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: December 15, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »
Drive the old farts off, and you'll have about 3 posters left on this thread.
While that may be true... the yelling to get off your lawn, and the stench of mothballs would both die down dramatically.  I'd call that a good thing.  

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #487 on: December 15, 2017, 09:02:49 AM »
While that may be true... the yelling to get off your lawn, and the stench of mothballs would both die down dramatically.  I'd call that a good thing.  
ZING!
Hey Shiner, whatcha drinking this Christmas season?

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: December 15, 2017, 09:21:57 AM »
While that may be true... the yelling to get off your lawn, and the stench of mothballs would both die down dramatically.  I'd call that a good thing.  
Umm, no it wouldn't, as this post exemplifies. 

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: December 15, 2017, 09:24:20 AM »
as Im probably the oldest of the old farts here I say

MERRY CHRISTMAS

all you flat belly knuckleheads
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.