header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.

(Read 211112 times)

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: The Porch, y'all. pull up a seat and kick back.
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »
sun sets here at 6:20

many don't wait for it to get dark and most are done by the time it gets dark

fewer kids get hit by cars in the daylight
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2017, 02:34:55 PM »
I move the cars away, set up lawn chairs, and grill brats on my driveway.  Around 6:30 the tiny kids start coming and they get progressively bigger as the night wears on. By 10:00 they look about 30 and I don't mind them coming by either. Sometimes they're the more interesting trick or treaters.

I was planning to hand out candy until the 6th inning or so because that's when things have been heating up in this series. 

But it looks like it may be chilly and drizzly so we might not even get any tick or treaters this year.

That would be a sad Halloween.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
do ya hand out leftover brats to the 20 somethings at the end of the evening?

I might stop by
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2017, 03:19:20 PM »
I guess the key question for this fine Halloween evening is:

Who's gonna get tricked, and who's gonna get treated,

in LA?

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2017, 03:26:15 PM »
Since then, there have been four World Series games on Halloween – AL teams have a 3-1 edge

Let's make it 4-1

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »
The rain pretty much did a bang-up job at discouraging the candy-beggers this year, so I didn't much have to worry about disruptions during the game.  We did have a couple of groups stop by with their umbrellas and ponchos on, but maybe 12 kids total that came by, which is definitely down from most years I have been in this house.    

Disappointed the Stros couldn't earn a memorable Halloween-championship last night, but like everything else for Houston, nothing comes easy.  We are used to having to earn any respect, and hopefully tonight will do just fine for that.  I'll be happy to stop listening to the totally biased announcers in this Series, as that has been really upsetting to keep hearing during the games.     If they do lose, well at least I have half a bowl of leftover chocolate to stress-eat my feelings about the loss.  Either way, this team has made history for the franchise and I'm proud of how far they have come & what they have brought to our hopeful city.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
do ya hand out leftover brats to the 20 somethings at the end of the evening?

I might stop by
No sir.  Left over brats are the best thing for breakfast.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2017, 11:05:33 AM »
The rain pretty much did a bang-up job at discouraging the candy-beggers this year, so I didn't much have to worry about disruptions during the game.  We did have a couple of groups stop by with their umbrellas and ponchos on, but maybe 12 kids total that came by, which is definitely down from most years I have been in this house.    

Disappointed the Stros couldn't earn a memorable Halloween-championship last night, but like everything else for Houston, nothing comes easy.  We are used to having to earn any respect, and hopefully tonight will do just fine for that.  I'll be happy to stop listening to the totally biased announcers in this Series, as that has been really upsetting to keep hearing during the games.     If they do lose, well at least I have half a bowl of leftover chocolate to stress-eat my feelings about the loss.  Either way, this team has made history for the franchise and I'm proud of how far they have come & what they have brought to our hopeful city.

I think tonight's game may last until 2 a.m.   I imagine both teams will play every pitcher on their roster.  Why the heck not?

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
The thing about parenthood is that it damages your dignity.

When you hit puberty in middle school, you learn the importance of dignity.  Keep your head down, be inconspicuous, wear the right clothes, don't draw attention to yourself and if you do it had better be for the right reasons like you can tackle or sing or drive a cool car and not for the wrong reasons like your mom made you wear the cardigan your aunt bought you.

So we grow, picking and choosing with dignity and developing into a bright, charming, intrepid person with no baggage who can find a mate.

Then we become that fun, happy couple who has all the right taste, does all the right things and makes all the right choices.

And if we choose to have kids even that seems a cool choice at first because everything seems under control.  Then we start to lose it.

Soon we have multiple little people with their own strange interests and allies.  We're running them here.  We're running them there.  We're trying to fathom why they're rowdy, why they're coarse, why they're incorrigible, why they don't appreciate our sound judgment.

We wear $11 blue jeans so we can pay for select baseball, buy them laptop with enough memory they can dominate as a gamer, and pay for Rice.  Then they knock us for wearing dad pants.

Yeah, layer by layer, parenthood strips away every shred of dignity to the point that you're just happy to be alive and to be able to provide for the ones you know and love.

And that's a good thing.  It's like the enlightenment of a Buddhist monk.
Love this.

If we're honest with ourselves, we judge our own parents just as harshly as our kids judge us. 

Take my father, for instance. He really excelled at most things.  Graduated from OU med school.  Took several residences at St Johns in Tulsa, and then settled in as an OBGYN in private practice.  Helped bring over 2000 babies into this world (he didn't keep count, but I asked him one time and this was his estimate).  The OU medical program had a special emphasis on patient care and actually listening to patients, and he was really good at it - was always known for his bedside manner and spending extra time with patients to better understand their ailments and what to do about them.  So, folks in my small-medium sized town (40K pop) knew dad, and all I had to say was that I was Dr. Wilson's son, and doors would open. People loved dad.

Dad was also a fix-it guy.  He spent weekends repairing stuff and building stuff.  It's a trait he learned from his own father, who was an electrician with OGE, and to some extent he passed all that down to my brother and me.  We're both always tinkering with stuff, just like dad and granddad did.  One year he even built a boat - fiberglass and all - and that converted our family (including his brothers and their families, who lived in OKC and Houston) into a water skiing outfit.  Every summer we'd meet several weekends out at either Tenkiller or Ft Gibson and ski our asses off.

Dad also drove the coolest cars - his first really cool one was a silver Mustang Boss 302, and then later he went through several generations of Z cars.  He also sold the boat he built and had other boats, including a cabin cruiser, which created really high wakes to jump when you're skiing - I loved it.

But what my brother and I always remember are his clothing choices.  This was the 1970s, and he worked in a leisure suit, with a beeper on the belt.  On weekends, he typically wore plaid shorts, black socks, keds, a golf cap (even though he never golfed) and a shirt with his cigarette pack in the front pocket.  For such an overall successful and resourceful guy, he dressed like a complete dork.  

Anyway, I miss him, big old plaid shorts and all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:09:53 PM by CousinFreddie »

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
my father refused to wear short britches (bright white legs)

but, always had that pack of bare-assed camels in his shirt pocket

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
I have been notified that Houston now has a professional Rubgy team in the works, mostly because they will be playing at the nearest sports venue to my house.  I couldn't help but notice the new logo looks very familiar - like a combination of KSU and Iowa's logo.  Also, I'm not very pleased with the mascot "Sabercats", but nobody asked me.  Perhaps I can score some cheap tickets during the football offseason and give this new team a little support.  Anyone else been to a professional rugby match before?

https://www.houstonsabercatstickets.com/

Iowa Logo:

KSU logo:

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2017, 12:45:36 PM »
professional Rubgy?

you mean those blokes take a paycheck?

UT-Erin03

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »
professional Rubgy?

you mean those blokes take a paycheck?
Maybe they get paid in lagers and underpants. 

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.