header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Wisconsin 2017 Season Thread

(Read 10567 times)

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
Wisconsin 2017 Season Thread
« on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:34 PM »
The Tribune is reporting on Wisconsin-Notre Dame negotiations for a double neutral (Soldier Field + Lambeau) series. Unlike most Big Ten fans, I'm all for playing Notre Dame, but neutral games are one of the lamer trends in CFB. Why can't it be a home-and-home?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-notre-dame-wisconsin-football-soldier-field-20170724-story.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:02:43 PM by 847badgerfan »

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Wisconsin, 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:18:55 AM »
ND won't come to Camp Randall.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: Wisconsin 2017 Preseason Thread
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 07:27:42 AM »
Paul Chryst was talking about the offensive line a little bit yesterday, saying that there is still work to be done but the signs of improvement are there.

At least there is some depth to work with. It will be fun to watch he and Joe Rudolph assemble the best 5 over the course of camp.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Liked:
Re: Wisconsin, 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:35:33 AM »
ND won't come to Camp Randall.

Why not?  I agree about the neutral site games.  I don't "get it".  LSU did the same thing.

I understand the WLOCP and the Red River Rivalry, fine, but these OOC "fake home and away" series puzzle me.  I know the UGA AD claimed they made more money playing UNC in ATL than playing them at home, but that at least was a "one off", a sort of preseason bowl game in effect.

ND seems to be willing to travel to hostile venues.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »
They will travel to hostile venues that house helmet/almost-helmet schools. They also go to places like MSU and Stanford because of the tradition of the rivalries.

None of the "big boys" want to play in Madison because it's hard to win there and they don't schedule losses.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 07:59:21 AM »
UW announced its 2017 captains yesterday too.

Jack Cichy
Michael Deiter
D'Cota Dixon
Troy Fumagalli
Conor Sheehy

That's a pretty solid group of kids right there.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
They will travel to hostile venues that house helmet/almost-helmet schools. They also go to places like MSU and Stanford because of the tradition of the rivalries.

None of the "big boys" want to play in Madison because it's hard to win there and they don't schedule losses.
I think the last scheduled game in East Lansing is this year.  There's a game in Chicago scheduled out.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »
Paul Chryst was talking about the offensive line a little bit yesterday, saying that there is still work to be done but the signs of improvement are there.

At least there is some depth to work with. It will be fun to watch he and Joe Rudolph assemble the best 5 over the course of camp.

Deiter could be the best at his position in the conference. Benzschawel is also an intriguing guy, given his size and experience, but he seemed to have a lot of trouble when I watched last year. Remind me: Who are the other guys?

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 01:47:17 PM »
The Tribune is reporting on Wisconsin-Notre Dame negotiations for a double neutral (Soldier Field + Lambeau) series. Unlike most Big Ten fans, I'm all for playing Notre Dame, but neutral games are one of the lamer trends in CFB. Why can't it be a home-and-home?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-notre-dame-wisconsin-football-soldier-field-20170724-story.html

And why is Notre Dame's "home" game in Chicago? As annoying as it is for the Northwest Indiana folks to call themselves "The Region", as in the Chicago metropolitan region, despite the fact that Chicagoans do NOT claim NW Indiana as part of us, South Bend is too far away to be "The Region" anyway.

Go to Indianapolis, ND. Stay the **** away from my hometown.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »

You may be right, but I presume it's more about dollars/contracts/adverts than fear. Playing Wisconsin at Lambeau doesn't drastically tilt the scales; it modestly tilts them.

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 01:52:16 PM »
Uhh.. Check with LSU on all of your assertions and get back to me. Jeez.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »
I considered that. Just because I think the shift from Madison to Lambeau only drops the difficulty modestly (Lambeau was effectively an equally long trip into unfriendly territory, and Wisconsin still jumped around...and they then played the same dang team) doesn't mean I think fear can't be involved at all. I just disprefer that you are completely ignoring the other factor.

Money is one of the factors at the forefront of the neutral game trend.

Meanwhile, the bigger detriment to UW at Lambeau isn't venue intimidation but the fact that the players can't sleep at home. Any travel, even in-state, somewhat knocks one out of one's groove.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:43:39 PM by Anonymous Coward »

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 02:54:35 PM »
In breaking down all of the ranked vs. ranked matchups, I didn't fully realize how well the Wisconsin schedule breaks this year.

No OSU, no PSU, no MSU (which doesn't matter as much as it was thout to a year ago).  Iowa and Michigan both at home.  Toughest game in their first 10 is probably at Nebraska?

Set up very well for Bucky to be 10-0 when they host Michigan in November.

Anonymous Coward

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
If Wisconsin has more than 1 loss in the regular season, something very unexpected has happened. If the Michigan game was both teams' Big Ten opener, I'd right now guarantee** them to lose their first game in the CCG.

** (in the betting sense)

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.