header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Playoffs! Did someone say Playoffs?

(Read 36175 times)

TresselownsUM

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Re: Playoffs! Did someone say Playoffs?
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2017, 01:46:09 PM »
I heard this on the radio this AM, but I'm too lazy to verify it.

but Auburn who already has 2 losses, and I think is ranked around #14. They have the potential to beat #1 Georiga, then #1 Alabama then get a rematch with likely a top 5 Georgia in the SEC title game.

While I don't think Auburn will win all those games, could you imagine them beating two #1 ranked teams and then one of them for the 2nd time in a month.

In that scenario I'd vote in a 11-2 Auburn over a 12-1 Washington, maybe over an 11-1 ND. I wouldn't put them in against a 13-0 Wiscy or Miami, but that'd be a pretty stout resume for a 2 loss team.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2017, 02:17:00 PM »
I heard this on the radio this AM, but I'm too lazy to verify it.

but Auburn who already has 2 losses, and I think is ranked around #14. They have the potential to beat #1 Georiga, then #1 Alabama then get a rematch with likely a top 5 Georgia in the SEC title game.

While I don't think Auburn will win all those games, could you imagine them beating two #1 ranked teams and then one of them for the 2nd time in a month.

In that scenario I'd vote in a 11-2 Auburn over a 12-1 Washington, maybe over an 11-1 ND. I wouldn't put them in against a 13-0 Wiscy or Miami, but that'd be a pretty stout resume for a 2 loss team.
Agree and I think the committee would make a spot for that team.  

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »
while I agree the final schedule for the Canes and the Badgers will be stronger, I also think it would be tough for the committee to put the undefeated Canes or Badgers as #5 if there where only 1 or 2 other undefeated teams, regardless of SoS.

for example, Iowa, Ohio St. and Michigan could all lose another game or two.  Leaving the Badger's SoS looking weak.

Let's say, for sake or argument, that Iowa upsets the buckeyes, Michigan wins "the game" vs the Bucks, Nebraska beats Iowa in Lincoln, Hawks stumble vs Purdue, and Michigan losses to MAryland and then badly to Wisconsin.

an undefeated Badger team is still a lock, or a Duh pick for the committee
Ohio State losing those two games would not have too big of an impact on Wisconsin's SoS because in that case they would meet 12-1 Penn State in the B1GCG.  
That is the thing about CG's.  The opponent is almost certain to be at least decent.  Even if Ohio State tanks and loses to Iowa and a Michigan team that (in your example) has 4 losses that just moves PSU up.  Ohio State or Penn State or Michigan State or Michigan could completely tank but it is a lot less likely that all four of them will tank.  In part that is because of games left between them:
  • If Ohio State tanks that gives MSU and M wins.  
  • If MSU tanks that gives PSU and tOSU wins.  
  • If PSU tanks that gives MSU a win.  
  • If Michigan tanks that gives tOSU a win.  

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2017, 03:47:48 PM »
SEC SEC SEC
I don't think they'd make a spot for a 2-loss Big Ten team that accomplished that feat
it would be interesting to put the committee to the test - that's all I really want to see.
We went away from coaches and sportswriters polls and computer polls and created this braintrust committee.  Just want to see them earn their stripes some season.
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

Cincydawg

• Oracle of Piedmont Park
  • Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
Auburn "controls" its own destiny with one conference loss (to LSU) at the moment (unless LSU somehow wins out, and then LSU would be in the SEC CG).

If Auburn beat UGA and then Bama and then UGA, it would be a something to notice.  I'd still take a one loss conference champ if available from any P5 conference.  Auburn already lost to Clemson.

As noted, LSU also "controls its own destiny" with an outside loss to Troy of all people, but they are alive in the SEC (but won't be in a couple of days).  Auburn and LSU and A&M are mystery teams to me, all three have OOC losses and all three at times have looked pretty decent.

UGA can secure the East Saturday with a win over USCe and a UK loss to Ole Miss (which might not happen of course).

Preseason, I had hoped to win the East and beat Florida and maybe get an NY6 bowl bid.  I didn't think the OL would be sufficiently better to be really good, but that unit has played pretty well overall, much better than last year.  The defense was mostly back from last year's squad which was pretty good.  The rushing attack eats clock which rests the D.

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2017, 05:12:31 PM »
Well Duh,I mean obviously,I mean,oh the hell with it
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2017, 05:42:11 PM »
UGA can secure the East Saturday with a win over USCe and a UK loss to Ole Miss (which might not happen of course).

Preseason, I had hoped to win the East and beat Florida and maybe get an NY6 bowl bid.  I didn't think the OL would be sufficiently better to be really good, but that unit has played pretty well overall, much better than last year.  The defense was mostly back from last year's squad which was pretty good.  The rushing attack eats clock which rests the D.
Not flaming, honestly curious because I haven't seen any UGA football this year:
If you feel you can give a somewhat unbiased opinion, how good is UGA?  
I'm not completely convinced of Notre Dame's alleged greatness and obviously UGA's other two OOC opponents (so far) aren't going to impress anybody.  Then there is UGA's SEC schedule.  So far the Dawgs have played:
  • 0-5 Tennesse and Vanderbilt
  • 0-4 Mizzou
  • 3-3 Florida
  • 3-2 MissSt
Coming up they have:
  • 4-1 Auburn
  • 4-2 USCe
  • 3-2 Kentucky
Then the Dawgs, of course, finish up with an OOC match against an apparently good-but-not-great GaTech.  

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
Good question (about UGA).  The offensive line was considered the weak spot, and they have played well overall, better than I expected.  The 2016 edition was heavily weakened by bad OL play, really bad.  They obviously have NFL caliber running backs, which is good, and a really stout defense, among the best I've seen at UGA.  They fly to the ball and mostly play disciplined.  The secondary at times has been had and could be vulnerable against a good team.  Special teams, usually a weak spot under Richt, has improved to be somewhat better than average, and that also has helped.  A lot.

UGA made a LOT of mistakes against ND and still won, so there is that.  That game might not have been close with a cleaner game.  ND had all kinds of problems on offense against that defense but got bailed out by some silly penalties at times.

The other weakness I see is that this team is so run heavy on offense.  They have not had to pass much (except against Missouri oddly enough) and they haven't.  Defenses have done the obvious and loaded up to stop the run, but if Michel or Chubb get past the LOS they are a load, and Michel made Florida pay for playing 8 in the box.  The freshman RB Swift is showing enormous promise and is ahead of two very good sophs at RB, and they have two of the three top RBs committed for next season.

So, if your secondary can handle man coverage and your LBs are smart and fast, you probably can slow their rushing attack and then force Fromm (true freshman QB) to beat you throwing it.  

In summary, they are a very solid hungry talented team that can be beaten with the right defense and an mobile QB who can pass (think Barrett for example perhaps).  Thus far, they have won most of their games early in blow outs and simply run clock effectively without much need to pass.  That won't work against elite defenses.  I wouldn't discount the win at ND though.  ND has beaten some good teams, and that was the first start by a true freshman QB (Jake Fromm State Farm is his name now) who managed the game, but obviously has far more experience now and is pretty effective throwing the ball.

I read that Alabama would be a 6 point favorite over UGA right now.  I suspect Ohio State would be 3-4 point favorites and perhaps Penn State as well and Clemson.  But they are in the hunt obviously.  Their LBs stack up well against about anyone.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »
Well Duh,I mean obviously,I mean,oh the hell with it
have another drink or 3 and enjoy the games this weekend
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
Good question (about UGA).  The offensive line was considered the weak spot, and they have played well overall, better than I expected.  The 2016 edition was heavily weakened by bad OL play, really bad.  They obviously have NFL caliber running backs, which is good, and a really stout defense, among the best I've seen at UGA.  They fly to the ball and mostly play disciplined.  The secondary at times has been had and could be vulnerable against a good team.  Special teams, usually a weak spot under Richt, has improved to be somewhat better than average, and that also has helped.  A lot.

UGA made a LOT of mistakes against ND and still won, so there is that.  That game might not have been close with a cleaner game.  ND had all kinds of problems on offense against that defense but got bailed out by some silly penalties at times.

The other weakness I see is that this team is so run heavy on offense.  They have not had to pass much (except against Missouri oddly enough) and they haven't.  Defenses have done the obvious and loaded up to stop the run, but if Michel or Chubb get past the LOS they are a load, and Michel made Florida pay for playing 8 in the box.  The freshman RB Swift is showing enormous promise and is ahead of two very good sophs at RB, and they have two of the three top RBs committed for next season.

So, if your secondary can handle man coverage and your LBs are smart and fast, you probably can slow their rushing attack and then force Fromm (true freshman QB) to beat you throwing it.  

In summary, they are a very solid hungry talented team that can be beaten with the right defense and an mobile QB who can pass (think Barrett for example perhaps).  Thus far, they have won most of their games early in blow outs and simply run clock effectively without much need to pass.  That won't work against elite defenses.  I wouldn't discount the win at ND though.  ND has beaten some good teams, and that was the first start by a true freshman QB (Jake Fromm State Farm is his name now) who managed the game, but obviously has far more experience now and is pretty effective throwing the ball.

I read that Alabama would be a 6 point favorite over UGA right now.  I suspect Ohio State would be 3-4 point favorites and perhaps Penn State as well and Clemson.  But they are in the hunt obviously.  Their LBs stack up well against about anyone.
Well Georgia is obviously in if they go 13-0 and obviously out if they lose before the SECCG and then again in the SECCG.  The interesting question at this point is what happens if UGA and Bama both get to the SECCG at 12-0 and then one of them wins a reasonably close game?  
A 12-1 non-Champion UGA or Bama would obviously be behind the SEC Champion and I think they would also obviously be ranked behind any undefeated P5 Champions.  Beyond that there is an argument.  I don't *THINK* they would get in ahead of a 12-1 P5 Champion but I do *THINK* they would get in ahead of an 11-2 Champion, an 11-1 Independent, or any other non-champion.  

Cincydawg

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
UGA could lose to say Auburn and beat Bama and be 12-1.  They'd be in the playoff if that happened.

Personally, I don't think a CG loser should be included barring unusual circumstances.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »
hah, if a one-loss team that lost a CCG gets in ahead of a one-loss independent that wears a gold helmet, it would cause some upheaval!

MrNubbz

• Hall of Fame
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »
I say let the Gold Helmet in ensuring them an ass beating.Thus having to join a conference - works for me
Suburbia:Where they tear out the trees & then name streets after them.

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2017, 08:41:15 PM »
careful what y'all ask for

the Domers could end up in the Big Ten with a total of 16 teams

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.