header pic

The B12 (XII) Forum, home of the 'Front Porch, y'all' at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: Texas vs Texas Tech

(Read 10559 times)

TexasFan

• Red Shirt
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
Texas vs Texas Tech
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:56:11 AM »
I thought we were back and everything was looking ok?     I have never seen a stadium leave so quietly as I did last night.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/win-texas-texas-tech-ad-says-coach-kliff-kingsbury-will-return-2018-063132728.html

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
Re: Texas vs Texas Tech
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 08:35:32 PM »
I watched the 3rd Q of that game sand Texas seemed to have the thing in hand.  What happened?

FearlessF

• Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 10:06:02 PM »
roaches
"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

utee94

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 10:57:04 PM »
What happened?  Sucking sucks.

longhorn320

• Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 01:28:49 AM »
remember when DKR said that when you throw the ball 3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad

well the 2 bad things kept happening over and over
They won't let me give blood anymore. The burnt orange color scares the hell out of the doctors.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
I thought we were back and everything was looking ok?    
Yes, we all thought we were back.  Just like we did in 2014 when Charlie's first team won three in a row to become bowl eligible, or when the 2015 beat OU, or when the 2016 started the season by beating Notre Dame.  We take the bait every time because we're hungry for success and we want to believe we're just the flip of a switch away.
The problem isn't with the players.
I follow recruiting.  The players Texas has are players OU, A&M, LSU and even Alabama wanted.
The problem isn't the coaching.
Short of Saban, Meyer and maybe Swinney or Fisher, a coach who won an MNC as an assistant, gained a reputation as a recruiter and dominated at P6 is the best we can hope to have.
The problem is unrealistic expectations creating chaos.  We want immediate results and we're not about to sit around and wait for stupid coaches to take their lumps and learn their lessons.
We've had seven different OCs in eight years.  We've had a new inexperienced starter at QB for each of the last four seasons.
The offense sucked and we don't like Tim Beck.  Great.  Let's get a new OC.  Maybe Thompson or Rising will be his QB and Ehlinger can line up with Bueschelle beside Heard while we get to hear the coaches use inexperience at QB at as an excuse for yet another crappy year.
At least we have Orlando.  I remember Bedford looked good his first year too - until Mack's players graduated or went pro and he had to grow up Charlie's players.  I wonder how Orlando will do next year without Malik, Poona Ford, Jason Hall, Holton Hill, maybe Elliott.   No problem.  Right?
Despite his smoke screen of bravado, Herman is clearly over his head.  Texas doesn't play in the American Athletic Conference and being the head coach requires more wherewithal than being a coordinator.
Let's just hope we can all just be patient for the next two, three, five, seven or ten years it takes for him to grow into the job.   It's absolute torture to see him going through the exact same growing pains Charlie Strong went through.  Let's just hope we don't see him learn and grow and only to be replaced by the next redundantly unprepared coaching star of the AAC.  I don't think I could stand to watch this scenario play out for a third time in a row.
If there's any consolation, it's the fact that Charlie Strong still hasn't learned the importance of special teams, so at least we're not dealing with that anymore.   Just everything else.  All over again.  Just like deja vu.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:07:17 AM by CharleyHorse46 »

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
I agree with CH, but dammit I can't agree 100%.

All I know is we had the ball.  It was 3rd and 2.  We were on Tech's side of the 50.  I looked at the clock.  Time was on our side.  We had 3 timeouts.  Tech had 1.  And then it went through my mind - geez T95, we got this.  2 downs to rush for 2 yards, while keeping the clock moving.  Welp, this one's in the bag.

And then dammit to almighty hell, Tim Beck calls a pass play.  Given Sam's late-game true freshman proclivity for bone-headed decisions.

Fire Tim Beck.  Fire his ass.

And then silently consider that Kliff Kingsbury just outcoached Tom Herman.  Because that's what was going through the heads of Texas fans as they moped out of DKR.

CousinFreddie

• Player
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 10:44:17 AM »
BC you clearly have the hots for Kliff Kingsbury ... 

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 10:57:42 AM »
I watched that game with my UT-grad brother-in-law.  Oh my Lord.... that was high comedy at the end.  What a great game.  And I hate tech.  

Kept trying to tell him though.... the horns only blew a 3 point lead because they wouldn't run the ball to kill the clock.  Imagine blowing a THIRTY-FOUR point lead because you wouldn't run the ball and milk clock.  Y'all ain't got nuthin' on the Aggies in that department.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »
I don't like Beck.  I certainly don't like Mehringer.  I don't like Drayton.  I don't like Warehime.  I'm not sure who Meekins even coaches.

And I don't even particularly even like Herman anymore.

But I certainly don't want to take yet another step backwards so I just hope he's not too arrogant to get better.

Huckleberry.  I appreciate your kind words and hope you get the coach you want.

Shiner

• Red Shirt
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
Thanks.  Problem is... I have no idea what coach I want.  Or if it would even matter if we got who I wanted.  

Actually... that's not true.  I've always wanted Paul Johnson.  Gimme a triple option offense and a brick wall defense.  I don't care we never throw a pass.

I'm not sure how successful that would be in the SEC West (probably not much) but man it'd be entertaining.  

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »
Jimbo reminds me of the Franchione hire.  The pendulum has swung back to "by God we're A&M and we have money, let's go get a big name."

My point is, if A&M is going to throw around that kind of money - then work something out with Matt Campbell.  I would fear him more than Jimbo.

But he's not a "helmet" coach.  Yet.

CharleyHorse46

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 11:35:03 AM »
Actually... that's not true.  I've always wanted Paul Johnson.  Gimme a triple option offense and a brick wall defense.  I don't care we never throw a pass.
Heh!  Hells yeah.  Huddle after every play.  Take your time getting back to the line.  Snap the ball when the 45 second clock is down to one.  Use up an entire quarter running one 24 play 80 yard drive.  Keep your defense fresh.  Keep your opponent's offense off the field.
I love it.

BrownCounty

• All Star
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 11:42:45 AM »
If Texas hires a *real* AD, I could see Herman being 2 and done.  Given things don't trend positive.

Look what happened to Patterson as AD.  In and out.  Why?  Because he was a jack wagon.

News flash - Herman is a jack wagon.  Hire an AD now.  If we go through another year of this offense and 5-6 wins, we are spinning our wheels.

Mack wants the job.  Hire him.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.