header pic

Perhaps the BEST B1G Forum anywhere, here at College Football Fan Site, CFB51!!!

The 'Old' CFN/Scout Crowd- Enjoy Civil discussion, game analytics, in depth player and coaching 'takes' and discussing topics surrounding the game. You can even have your own free board, all you have to do is ask!!!

Anyone is welcomed and encouraged to join our FREE site and to take part in our community- a community with you- the user, the fan, -and the person- will be protected from intrusive actions and with a clean place to interact.

Author

Topic: ~2017-18 Big Ten Basketball Thread~

(Read 122032 times)

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
Re: ~2017-18 Big Ten Basketball Thread~
« Reply #1456 on: March 14, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
They have like 12 wins over teams in the field this year, including OOC wins over UM, OSU, and Tennessee.
Yes, but they also have 10 losses - some bad, one of which was at the hands of 29-4 MSU, which pounded them at a neutral site, and is a 3 seed.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

Entropy

• Starter
  • Liked:
« Reply #1457 on: March 14, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »
the committee looked at who you beat over any other metric.   And beating name schools also mattered.  

fezzador

• Player
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1458 on: March 14, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
He's always been a good mid major coach.  He's just not a high major coach.
In his 10 years at SW Missouri State and New Mexico, his teams always overachieved.  He might just be better served there.
Although, looking up his career record, he had been better at UCLA than I would have guessed.  Already forgot they were 31-5 last year and reached the Sweet 16.  
For a program as storied as UCLA, the expectations should be a lot higher than an occasional S16 run.  A couple of generations ago, they were the premier program in college hoops (and it wasn't even close), but now they're firmly behind the quartet of Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and Kansas.
And as weak as hoops are out West, there's no reason they shouldn't be dominating the PAC (or at least be neck-and-neck with Zona).
While I didn't specifically say Alford was a *bad* coach, he's hardly an elite one and almost certainly won't get the Bruins over the hump.  He had talent at Iowa but couldn't get the Hawks over the hump either.
IIRC, his dream job is Indiana and I don't think the Hoosiers want to touch him with a ten-foot pole.  If he gets the axe, maybe he can join Kiffy-kins at Florida Atlantic.  I'm sure he'd kill it over there (if they need a new coach that is).

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1459 on: March 14, 2018, 02:46:48 PM »
Bracket is already out, but as a comparison to how it would look just using the composite computer rankings.  As for Big Ten teams, Purdue, Michigan and Ohio State are correctly seeded as a 2, 3 and 5, but MSU is underseeded, should be a 2 also.  As for opponents, Purdue and Ohio State got a nice draw, getting CS Fullerton as a 15, when they should be a 16, and Ohio State getting South Dakota State as a 12, when they should be a 13.  Conversely, UM and MSU getting opponents as 14s, who should be 13s.  Oddly, MSU, UM and OSU are all facing teams who should be 13s.  FTR, last time MSU was underseeded based on this, and also faced an underseeded team, we got MTSU, so...

EASTSOUTH
1VillanovaVirginia1
16Tx So/NC CentralRadford/LIU16
PittsburghCharlotte
8MiamiRhode Island8
9USCKansas State9
5OHIO STATEAuburn5
12Murray StateBuffalo12
BoiseSan Diego
4KentuckyWichita State4
13S.D. StateUNC Greensboro13
3XavierMICHIGAN3
14Georgia StateMarshall14
NashvilleWichita
6FloridaTCU6
11Baylor/PENN STNC State11
7Texas A&MSeton Hall7
10Loyola(Ill)Florida State10
PittsburghWichita
2North CarolinaKansas2
15PennsylvaniaWright State15
---
WESTMIDWEST
1CincinnatiDuke1
16CS FullertonUMBC16
NashvilleCharlotte
8Saint Mary'sButler8
9LouisvilleTexas9
5ArizonaHouston5
12NM StateDavidson12
DallasSan Diego
4Texas TechWest Virginia4
13BucknellMontana13
3GonzagaTennessee3
14Stephen F. AustinCharleston14
BoiseDallas
6NevadaClemson6
11Oklahoma/UCLASan Diego State11
7ArkansasCreighton7
10Virginia TechMissouri10
DetroitDetroit
2PURDUEMICHIGAN STATE2
15LipscombIona15

So which teams got screwed (along with the seed they got here)?  Saint Mary's (8), Louisville (9), USC (9), Baylor (FF), and Penn State (FF).

Which teams should be thanking the committee (along with their ranking)?  Arizona State (47), Alabama (48), Providence (49), Syracuse (52) and St. Bonaventure (57).

And for good measure, an NIT bracket

1Notre DameArizona State1
8HamptonSE Louisiana8
4OregonWestern Kentucky4
5GeorgiaLSU5
3NEBRASKASt. Bonaventure3
6N. KentuckyVermont6
2MarquetteOklahoma State2
7RiderUC Davis7
1ProvidenceAlabama1
8WagnerUNC Asheville8
4Mississippi StateUtah4
5UL LafayetteOld Dominion5
3Boise StateMARYLAND3
6Boston CollegeBYU6
2Middle TennesseeSyracuse2
7HarvardFlorida Gulf Coast7

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1460 on: March 14, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »
It appears the right justify didn't hold, but it's still readable

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1461 on: March 14, 2018, 02:59:45 PM »
For a program as storied as UCLA, the expectations should be a lot higher than an occasional S16 run.  A couple of generations ago, they were the premier program in college hoops (and it wasn't even close)
Yep, and they had the highest payroll in college sports (and it wasn't even close).
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1462 on: March 14, 2018, 04:04:31 PM »
the committee looked at who you beat over any other metric.   And beating name schools also mattered.  
I noticed this too.  The same thing happened in CFB when they went to the playoff.  It seems like wins are compared now and losses just get forgotten (other than the fact that you lost).  In earlier times we used to talk about "bad losses" in both sports but that seems to be an antiquated concept now.  

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1463 on: March 14, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »
I noticed this too.  The same thing happened in CFB when they went to the playoff.  It seems like wins are compared now and losses just get forgotten (other than the fact that you lost).  In earlier times we used to talk about "bad losses" in both sports but that seems to be an antiquated concept now.  
I think the only place they seemed to care about it was the MSU vs. UM thing.  UM had better wins, including head to head.  But MSU only lost 4 times, and all 4 losses were to top 15 teams, while UM lost more times, including 3 times to non-tourney teams.

bayareabadger

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1464 on: March 14, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »
For a program as storied as UCLA, the expectations should be a lot higher than an occasional S16 run.  A couple of generations ago, they were the premier program in college hoops (and it wasn't even close), but now they're firmly behind the quartet of Duke, Kentucky, UNC, and Kansas.
And as weak as hoops are out West, there's no reason they shouldn't be dominating the PAC (or at least be neck-and-neck with Zona).
While I didn't specifically say Alford was a *bad* coach, he's hardly an elite one and almost certainly won't get the Bruins over the hump.  He had talent at Iowa but couldn't get the Hawks over the hump either.
IIRC, his dream job is Indiana and I don't think the Hoosiers want to touch him with a ten-foot pole.  If he gets the axe, maybe he can join Kiffy-kins at Florida Atlantic.  I'm sure he'd kill it over there (if they need a new coach that is).
I mean, they made three Sweet 16s in five years, so more than occasional. 
That job is weird. You have Wooden who was just impossible (and had Sam Gilbert). But the last set of coaches: 
Alford-Gone after three Sweet 16s in five years. 
Howland-Went to three Final Fours, gone after a 25-10 season that ended in the first round, which was part of missing the dance twice in four years. 
Lavin-Gone after missing the tourney for the first time in 15 years. Before that an Elite 8 in year 1, then four sweet 16s in five years. 
Harrick-A title at the end of a kinda ok run. One sweet 16 and one elite eight in first six years. Out for impermissible benefits. 

Where does one go? 

847badgerfan

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1465 on: March 14, 2018, 05:09:52 PM »
Gonna be a tough job to fill out there. Plus, right now, there is the added concern about which coaches knew what with this shoe thing and all that jazz.

I'm thinking they will keep him.
U RAH RAH! WIS CON SIN!

betarhoalphadelta

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1466 on: March 14, 2018, 06:03:56 PM »
Ouch: https://thebiglead.com/2018/03/14/steve-alford-is-a-terrible-basketball-coach-and-ucla-deserves-better/ 

medinabuckeye1

• Legend
  • Default Avatar
  • Liked:
« Reply #1467 on: March 15, 2018, 09:05:45 AM »
I think the only place they seemed to care about it was the MSU vs. UM thing.  UM had better wins, including head to head.  But MSU only lost 4 times, and all 4 losses were to top 15 teams, while UM lost more times, including 3 times to non-tourney teams.
Even there, I'm not sure if the committee actually assessed Michigan's losses or if they simply noted that Michigan had more losses and quit there.  
Michigan State only had four losses and all were quite respectable:
  • vs #6 Dook, neutral court
  • vs #12 M, neutral court
  • vs #12 M, home
  • @ #20 tOSU
Michigan's four "best" losses are similarly respectable, but their other three were MUCH worse:
  • @ #4 UNC
  • @ #9 PU
  • vs #9 PU, home
  • @ #20 tOSU
  • @ #54 UNL
  • vs #92 LSU, neutral court
  • @ #167 NU

I think the committee got it right with MSU above M based on Michigan's three bad losses being significantly worse than any MSU loss.  I am fearful though that the committee would have had M behind MSU even if those three "extra" losses had been on the road against top-10 teams.  

That is the part I don't like, because in my mind bad losses should matter.  There should be a difference between losing on the road to UNC and losing at home to Penn State.  Right now, I'm not sure that there is.  The committee's criteria seems to be:
  • How many losses did you have, 
  • How many tier-1 wins did you have
If my suspicion there is right, then the quality of the losses effectively no longer matters.  That doesn't make any sense to me.  

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1468 on: March 15, 2018, 10:59:15 AM »
Nebraska looked pretty blah last night.  Basically their resume is handling business against a bunch of bad teams, but losing to every decent one, save one really good night at home against Michigan.

Penn State closed strong after a putrid first half offensively, to beat Temple and advance to play the 1 seed, Notre Dame, in South Bend on Saturday.

Seems like in recent years you get a bunch of 1st round NIT upsets where teams that just missed look to not care.  While Louisville and USC were pushed to the limits, overall, you have a really solid final 16.  The only lower seeded team that won was Washington, which was a 5 seed over a 4 seed Boise State.

ELA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Liked:
« Reply #1469 on: March 15, 2018, 11:03:06 AM »
Seems like in recent years you get a bunch of 1st round NIT upsets where teams that just missed look to not care.  While Louisville and USC were pushed to the limits, overall, you have a really solid final 16.  The only lower seeded team that won was Washington, which was a 5 seed over a 4 seed Boise State.
For comparison, last year you had a 1 seed lose, three of the four 2 seeds lose, and all four 3 seeds lose.  Then all three 1 seeds who won, lost their 2nd game.
I'm assuming they play those games Monday-Wednesday to fill in the gap, and this year they might be worth watching, as opposed to last year, where one bracket had Colorado State, UT Arlington, Akron and Bakersfield left at this point.

Support the Site!
Purchase of every item listed here DIRECTLY supports the site.